Eberspacher (1 Viewer)

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
I have just fitted an Eberspacher D2 night heater to my VW T4 camper and have a problem with the fuel supply. I inserted a 'T' piece into the fuel line which runs from the fuel tank to the fuel filter - the 'T' was inserted about 5cm from the filter - but the heater only operates for about 5-mins before it cuts out due to fuel starvation. I had a D2 heater fitted to my previous T4 about 3-years ago by an Eberspacher approved engineer and a similar problem occured and I can't remember how the problem was overcome although I recall that he may have fitted a non-return valve as a solution. I do remember him saying that the heater was only operating whilst there was fuel in the hose and once depleted was cutting out. Can anyone please offer me advice on how to overcome this problem?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
it could be that the fuel is pumped via an electric pump fitted to the tank. If the ignition is not on the pump will not run and you get zero fuel.

If this is the problem you will need to fit a new pipe inlet into the tank and draw fuel directly from the tank as the none functioning pump will be stopping fuel from flowing

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
it could be that the fuel is pumped via an electric pump fitted to the tank. If the ignition is not on the pump will not run and you get zero fuel.

If this is the problem you will need to fit a new pipe inlet into the tank and draw fuel directly from the tank as the none functioning pump will be stopping fuel from flowing

Sounds good to me Dazzer.The same thing crossed my mind.:thumb:

Could the "t" piece be inserted before the fuel pump on the fuel tank side.Would the eberspacher draw the fuel by itself as you say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Almost definately the problem.

My van has a Webasto blown air heater and thats pumped independently of the ignition. Yes it uses diesel from the tank, but isn't pumped by the van pump.

OP
OP
J

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
Thank you for all your replies. The engine is a 2.5tdi and I'm not sure that there is a fuel pump between the tank and the filter. I have used the same fuel line configuration as that installed in my previous camper - perhaps I need to bleed out an airlock that may have developed?

monaco

Free Member
Jul 21, 2008
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
American A
Exp
7 years
Ebespatcher

Hi the D2 heater has its own 12volt inline fuel supply pump and ought to have its own pick up pipe in the fuel tank.
two reasons for this First is that when you tee into the fuel line you will pull fuel back from the engine supply line and then it will air lock
second is that the heater pick up pipe should be shorter than the main fuel pick up pipe or you could suck the tank dry useing the heater then the engine won't run

regards monaco

OP
OP
J

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
My reason for wanting to tap into the fuel line is that it isn't going to be easy to fit a standpipe in the main fuel tank. A B Butt of Leicester realised this when I had a heater previously fitted by them to a VW T4 Transporter and somehow managed to tap into the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter - they did experience a problem and I can't remember what modification they undertook, but it worked without a hitch. I photographed the installation that A B Butt did on my old van and it definetely shows that the heater fuel supply comes from the hose between the filter and tank.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi the D2 heater has its own 12volt inline fuel supply pump and ought to have its own pick up pipe in the fuel tank.
two reasons for this First is that when you tee into the fuel line you will pull fuel back from the engine supply line and then it will air lock
second is that the heater pick up pipe should be shorter than the main fuel pick up pipe or you could suck the tank dry useing the heater then the engine won't run

regards monaco

A very valid point being made here.Similar to the fuel supply to an on-board genny.You could end up with an empty fuel tank.

OP
OP
J

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
Point taken regarding the possibility of running out of engine fuel but quite honestly we only have the heater running occasionally and being a small camper it's only consuming approx. 1-litre for 10-hrs of running so I'm unlikely to be caught short of fuel. I've noticed this NRV on eBay: Link Removed and wondered whether the problem of sucking fuel from the engine side of the fuel supply line could be easily overcome by fitting it between the 'T' draw off and the filter?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Point taken regarding the possibility of running out of engine fuel but quite honestly we only have the heater running occasionally and being a small camper it's only consuming approx. 1-litre for 10-hrs of running so I'm unlikely to be caught short of fuel. I've noticed this NRV on eBay: Link Removed and wondered whether the problem of sucking fuel from the engine side of the fuel supply line could be easily overcome by fitting it between the 'T' draw off and the filter?

Sounds like being a very good solution and,at that price, well worth a try.

4e74_2.JPG

Non Return (one-way) In-Line Fuel Valve
Aluminium construction - Heavy duty
suits 8mm fuel hose

Stop fuel syphoning back down the pipe. Holds the fuel in the pipe to stop air entering.
Suitable for Carbs and low pressure fuel systems
all fuels including Petrol / Diesel / Bio / Veg Oil / Paraffin, etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonH

Free Member
Oct 14, 2008
Funster No
I fitted the NRV today and all seems well. Thank you to all who contributed.

D

danw1020

Deleted User
same problem

I have the same problem - t4 2.5 tdi - teed into the fuel line in the same place as you and fitted a one way v/v in line to the eberspacher supply near the T. Is this where you fitted your one? Mine still gets airlocks! Dan

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Some diesel motor systems have a fuel supply line drawing from the bottom of the tank and a fuel return line returning fuel to the top of the tank so if you tap into the wrong one, you will soon run out of fuel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have the same problem - t4 2.5 tdi - teed into the fuel line in the same place as you and fitted a one way v/v in line to the eberspacher supply near the T. Is this where you fitted your one? Mine still gets airlocks! Dan

it goes between the 'T' piece and the engine.

also get it the right way round or it will cut all fuel to the engine:Eeek:

McG

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Converted Bus
Exp
Eberspacher D2 only idling.

Hi guys, this is my first post to your forum and it looks like there's some good ideas around.:thumb:
I fitted 2 D2 Airtronics to my motorhome. Both start up fine but only run for 2 to 3 minutes at full speed and then dropp off to a mere idle. Sometimes they would pick up speed again for a minute or two and the revert to slowmo again :Angry:. Any ideas will be highly appretiated.

Just some more info: The one is running off the 801 controller and the other is on a 7day timer. The temp is set to 32degrees (max). Temp in bus is approx 19 degrees.

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If I remember correctly from the last time I fitted a Eberspacher, it specificly says in the fitting instrructions that the unit should have its own supply direct from the tank, it does not say why.

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why on earth are you not running off a seperate tank, you could use red diesel or central heating fuel then at half the cost. As to your problem sounds like you may have a faulty/incorrect fuel pump.

McG

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Converted Bus
Exp
If I remember correctly from the last time I fitted a Eberspacher, it specificly says in the fitting instrructions that the unit should have its own supply direct from the tank, it does not say why.

Doug...

Hi Doug, I did a test with mine. The heater uses so little fuel that if you have the fuel line connected to any other pipe that may have some air in it, you find that the heater fuel pump cannot get rid of the air. By the time the fuel enters the thin heater fuel line, the heater has already shut down due to fuel starvation One way valve should solve it. I am running both directly from the fuel tank. My 2cents worth :Sad:.

McG

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Converted Bus
Exp
Why on earth are you not running off a seperate tank, you could use red diesel or central heating fuel then at half the cost. As to your problem sounds like you may have a faulty/incorrect fuel pump.

Thanks Wildman, but I've tried another fuel pump already. Can you guys tell me the diameter and type of ducting you're using? I have the idea that it has got something to do with overheating...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back