Fairford Air Tattoo (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
I wonder if anyone used the new "official" campsite that the Fairford Air Tattoo opened this year and what it was like.
I believe it was in the field which in previous years was used as a car park just over the road from the main gate.
Think that they were charging something like £30 per night.
Would appreciate any comments.
Thanks

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
For the second year we stayed on the CC rally field.
You do need to be a member and it was £16 per night.
The C&CC also had a field next to ours and I think it was the same price.
We had an excellent view of the displays apart from the helos which were too far away. All the fast jets were right overhead.
The welcome from the rally organisers was excellent and we really enjoyed our week there.
DSC_0155.jpg

Richard.

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks for that. We have stayed on the C & CC site a number of times. As you say good views especially if they are coming round for "finals" at that end.
I was just wondering if the views were any better from this new official site - although a lot more expensive- and what the condition of the ground was like.
I know it could be prone to getting very boggy when it was a car park.
Great photo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
When we used to go,we stayed at Kempsford Camping,right up against the perimeter fence,toilets,showers,shop,bar and your own marked out pitch. Walk out of site,across the lane and through a gate opened especially for the site.Great comeraderie on site,people coming back year after year,i do miss it,but the aircraft i went to see ripping the heavens open are now parked up at......................................................Duxford Doh. "All clear,above and behind"
Tea Bag

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
image.png
image.png
We stayed at Down Ampney Football Club with the Gloucestershire DA of the Camping and Caravanning Club weekend meet, £9 a night for Camping and Caravanning Club members.

We were downwind of the runways. Saw much of the action from the comfort of our MoHo. Followed the commentary on their FM Air Tattoo Radio station.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We stayed on Townsend Farm, £30 a night for two people. Great viewing as it's right by the landing flightpath for the runway.

They have 6 fields for camping at Townsend. 3 designated quiet family fields and 3 general camping. We stayed on the 3rd quiet field. Really friendly. Can't comment on the toilets or showers as we just used our own facilities.

Only issue we had was an elderly couple had their grandkids arrive on Friday night. Screaming and shout kids at 5:45am on Saturday morning was a bit over the top.

I'll definitely go back there next year.

Cheers
Alan

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
What was the ground like at the site? Did it look as if it would dry out quite quickly (we seem to have picked about 50% Fairford Shows with rain). One year they had 3 x Four by Fours towing outfits on and off at our C & CC site.

And out of interest did you see how much they were restricting pedestrians from watching from the road?
Things have tightened up a lot since the Shoreham crash.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
And out of interest did you see how much they were restricting pedestrians from watching from the road?
Things have tightened up a lot since the Shoreham crash.

Can't possibly let anyone watch from the road but there were 200 outfits in the CC rally field and probably the same in the next door C&CC field, probably not far short of 1000 people.
All the displays flew directly over those fields. Discuss.

Richard.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
What was the ground like at the site? Did it look as if it would dry out quite quickly (we seem to have picked about 50% Fairford Shows with rain). One year they had 3 x Four by Fours towing outfits on and off at our C & CC site.

The ground was soft this year but no problems. It wouldn't stand up to a lot of rain and traffic though.

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
In previous years many people would stand around on the side of the road past the airfield where the landing aircraft came across. I think that they may have put screening up this year.
But air show restrictions have been tightened up this year.
I did read that already this year 11 shows had been cancelled because of the restrictions and the increased costs.
Crowd lines on the civilian shows have to be much farther back from the aircraft.
The military shows comply to different rules and are usually on bases with adequate room.
Thanks for the information

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back