Here's why you shouldn't visit Dumfries and Galloway. (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well a tad disappointing Gerry!!!:rofl: NOT!!
A wonderful place but are you sure you want loads of visitors!

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Beautiful and love the castles, they're so different to castles anywhere else. Haven't been there since I was 16 when I remember the whole family paddling in Loch Lomond so nice was the weather! Is it true that you can wild camp virtually anywhere in Scotland?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We haven't been back to D&G since we sold our cottage in Glentrool village three years ago.....about time for a re-visit.

Great memories of nights at the 'House o' Hill' pub at Bargrenan near Newton Stewart....especially the lock-in's o_O :drink:

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Almost anywhere......unfortunately except certain places around Loch Lomand due to inconsiderate camping and leaving the place like a rubbish dump by some people and local yobs .
I remember reading about the rules being changed around Loch Lomond, shame. But I think it's high time I visited Scotland again soon, put it on the list of places to go next spring I think, maybe a slow ride up the Northumberland coast stopping off at Hadrian's wall. With wild camping it certainly sounds like value for money compared to England.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well a tad disappointing Gerry!!!:rofl: NOT!!
A wonderful place but are you sure you want loads of visitors!
Loads of room here for them Anthea, to be honest I have noticed an increase in the amount of MH in the region this year compared to last.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I remember reading about the rules being changed around Loch Lomond, shame. But I think it's high time I visited Scotland again soon, put it on the list of places to go next spring I think, maybe a slow ride up the Northumberland coast stopping off at Hadrian's wall. With wild camping it certainly sounds like value for money compared to England.
Pappajohn is correct about camping ban on LL but if your sensible you can still park in various places along LL.
You can just about wildcamp anywhere in D and G

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We haven't been back to D&G since we sold our cottage in Glentrool village three years ago.....about time for a re-visit.

Great memories of nights at the 'House o' Hill' pub at Bargrenan near Newton Stewart....especially the lock-in's o_O :drink:
We head down that area often, really is nice and under an hour from us so great for a quick night away

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Love it! That's why I have stayed here for so long, over 40 years now. And yes, you can wild camp, the Galloway Forest Park is made for it.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Love it! That's why I have stayed here for so long, over 40 years now. And yes, you can wild camp, the Galloway Forest Park is made for it.
I was expecting you to come on and give me into trouble for encouraging them to come ans spoil your piece :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We were passing Dumfries on M74 a few days ago and a very low flying raf jet scared the shit from us.

Does this happen often? @lorger

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We were passing Dumfries on M74 a few days ago and a very low flying raf jet scared the shit from us.

Does this happen often? @lorger
Was that friday afternoon Sandra as i was heading down the 74 from Glasgow and just before Moffat couple of jets flew over.
We do get a few in this area as they use it for practice plus we have a few ranges in the area, when i say often maybe 2 or 3 times a year

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It was around 2 on Monday Gerry. We were returning home from the war meet. The plane was so low and the roar it made as it came up from behind we thought it was going to crash.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Beautiful and love the castles, they're so different to castles anywhere else. Haven't been there since I was 16 when I remember the whole family paddling in Loch Lomond so nice was the weather! Is it true that you can wild camp virtually anywhere in Scotland?
Bit of a struggle balancing on Ben Nevis I would ace thought?

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We were just down there in May, stayed on a nice site at Port Patrick, on the cliff top with view of Dunskey Castle. Visited Mull of Galloway and Corsewall lighthouses by bike.
It was indeed lovely.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We shall be having a couple of nights at Moffat , after Ralph's much planned and researched , North Coast 500 trip (can't wait , so excited ) before heading home. Then up again for a week , as usual, over the new year.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well we were there a couple of weeks ago following our North-Coast-500 trip and on Gerry's suggestion we stopped at a famous food outlet for smokies. Fan-BLEDDY-tastic .
Portpatrick was wonderful and we stayed for two nights on the beach at Sandhead, and I mean on the beach.

There were signs saying no overnight camping but the lady and gent in the house that the sign was attached too said that they have to put the sign up but PLEASE stay, take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints and you'll not ruin it for others.

Thanks Gerry.......... Griff

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Don't know why we live here...... :cooler:::bigsmile::whistle2:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
D&G is fabulous. We used to live in Wanlockhead, I'm still not sure why we left. But we have a seasonal pitch booked near Kippford for the winter, after I retire later this year. Can't wait!

Steve

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
D&G is fabulous. We used to live in Wanlockhead, I'm still not sure why we left. But we have a seasonal pitch booked near Kippford for the winter, after I retire later this year. Can't wait!

Steve
Went to Wanlockhead last week , looking at a cottage for sale, looks like a very interesting village.
(unfortunately not sold our house yet, but worth thinking about)
Cheers, Dave(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Don't know if we are in the right place (D&G ) but in 1989 we stayed in a pub in Creetown (sp?) We booked into the pub about 1500hrs, the "LADY" of the house already had a large glass of Vodka in front of her.
We went for a walk (from memory in front of the pub was a creek/estuary )got back about 1700, she was shitfaced and sleeping across the bar, the "Man" of the house was sitting with a pint of whatever with a depth charge of Drambui.

We were young enough and carefree, hardened by quite a few years in "the Colonies" so nothing surprised us to much.

Bullet hole in the pub window? old hat been there got the Tshirt! Pub Juke box in a thousand pieces in the street? Ditto!

Come 0200 a blazing domestic was taking place, the reason was they were blaming each other on who drank the most of the profits!.

We cooked our own breakfast the next day and closed the door quietly behind us, Lady and Man of the house were sprawled across the bar furniture snoring peacefully.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are at glencapel now , best place in scotland!! off back home soon unless we can re charge at yours lol.
Hi normally wouldn't be a problem but we're heading to the lake tomorrow about 1 pm. if it's just laptops and phones I could pop down for them tonight and bring them back tomorrow.
Any other time feel free to ask

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back