First time motorhome insurance (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Hi.

I just thought I would keep in touch how I am getting on with the motorhome search.

We, so far have identified 4 models we like. I expect more will be added!
Our original search was up to £25k but now increased to £40K!

I have searched and read many comments about insurance on this site and warnings of first time no claims etc.

I used Saga and put in 0 years no claims for a Bailey costing £40 000 and up to 5000 miles. Results £220 pa, I thought it was very good and worth sharing. When I finally get a vehicle, I will widen the search and should only get better.

I note some negative comments about comfort and 3rd party claims.

The 4 motorhomes so far that seem to tick the boxes

Bailey 665
Swift 686
Swift 644
Majestic 135

I would appreciate comments on quality build, are some know to be better than others?
Cliff

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I used Saga for my first MH insurance without previous NCB and was also given a very good quote (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
All English vans, have you checked our euro vans?
Ensure the cover is what you need including recovery, abroad if you need it, windscreen cover, and excess.
Sometimes it pays to include things initially, as to add them later may cost £25 policy change cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ask for an introductory NCD or to mirror your existing car NCD
£well £worth the question(y)

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Hi Cliff, your research seems to be going well. I did the same, made a shortlist and the majestic 125 fitted the bill perfectly as we were restricted to 6 metres. I absolutely love it, fixed bed is great, although I did buy a topper for more comfort, garage under is amazing, I could not live without it now, I know you are asking about the 135 so I decided to answer because of the quality. It is very comfortable, more than enough storage, I love the kitchen it is so well equipped. My husband did have to do some work i.e. fitted shelves in cupboards and wardrobe, made a headboard, but all in all we are really pleased with our choice. We had a few snagging issues which were sorted, nothing major. All in all for the money very good value.

Let us know what you buy, wishing you lots of happy travels

Lynne

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As far as insurance is concerned, Adrian Flux may be worth considering, they worked out best value for our circumstances.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have been using Saga for a few years now, two cars, motorhome and house insured with them.
Good customer service, had a claim with them a few weeks ago couldn't be more helpful.
they let me pay Quarterly without extra charge and I pay for uk recovery until we go abroad on our summer break and just upgrade it cover European breakdown and recovery, worked out at £19 extra.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I didn't ask for cover. I understand if I buy new, I got breakdown cover included in the deal. plans for Europe may be next year.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have to say, even though I am a Swift owner, I am not a fan of the new Escape range. It seems they took a big step back in build quality and styling. The top end models seem to be the focus of Swift now, which is a shame, most of us will fall into the mid range I would suspect.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
What negative comments did you hear about Comfort? We can't fault them, their premiums are very competitive and their cover is exceptional. Can't imagine there would be problems with claims as they are backed by Aviva.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Sorry, I cant find the thread on this site. The problem was claiming for a theft / break in. The thread goes on to say about being passed around, and no one is interested unless another vehicle is involved.

The thread is on this site somewhere!

OK so one person has had a bad experience. Without knowing all the facts I won't be worrying about that one. I suggest you give Comfort a try, they are very competitive and they include all possible extras including new for old on new Mohos for 3 years and £5000 worth of contents cover.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You cannot legislate for the stupidity of any company's employees - so as long as you are 100% certain that the actual policy wording covers all the eventualities that you need it to, that you have been 100% truthful and have queried anything you spot you think there could be a problem with - then just do it.

I made part of my living out of training other insurance employees not to be stupid - so it has always been there lurking, believe me!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I would look at european vans also if I was you

Hi

A couple of people mentioned euro vans.

I could do with a pointer / link please. Google was not helpful.

I'm looking for similar
Back lounge,
4 belts
4 or up to 6 berth
around 6m to no more than 7m
suitable for 2 but occasionally 3
good quality build
new or nearly new.

Thanks

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun