Fiat X244 2.8jtd late 2005 fuel filter (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
A bit of confusion going on with what fuel filter is supposed to fit. All the online indications are that it is a spin-on cannister type filter, that's certainly not the case on my m/home!

It's a plastic casing with a screw-on top, an electrical connector on top and two fast-fit type fuel line connectors...could be more gubbins but with fading light and the air filter housing in the way it's difficult to tell just now.
To me, it looks just the like the UFI fuel filter assemblies fitted to the X250 Fiats and others.

Despite being charged for a fuel filter change during a service the part number is for a spin on filter which most definately isn't fitted to mine...someone's ears are going to be bleeding tomorrow!

For now I'm keen to get the filter changed, probably best to source a new filter body and the Blueprint tool too.
*Anyone know if some 2.8's of my vintage were fitted with the plastic filter assemblies rather than the cannister type filter?
*None of the plastic assemblies listed on ebay say they fit the 2.8's, can anyone provide part numbers taken from a X250 assembly...I can then go ahead and order a replacement if they match the numbers on mine
* Replacement filter assemblies contain the filter? - don't want to find I haven't got all I need.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks, David

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had a 2005 2.8jtd..... Was certainly a screw on canister type..
Recall it very well as paid a fortune for a full service and cam belt, went to Germany the next week and broke down with the filter leaking... :(

DSC00367.JPG
DSC00368.JPG

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can't help at the mo. as it's a bit dark outside but tomorrow morning I'll go out and have a look at my 2007 (but X244) 2.8.
I heard about all the problems of the X250's fuel filter and was relieved to hear that 'Our's' didn't have the plastic, leaks everywhere filter.
Notwithstanding that, and after taking advice, I don't have our filter changed every year. I think I'll do it next Jan/Feb when it reaches it's three year anniversary of our ownership.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
tonka - that's absolutely not what I have...though part of me wishes I did after reading the difficulties others have had with the plastic version. What you have shown however, is the same filter part number that the last servicing garage "appeared" to have fitted!

Is that an AT Dakota you had looking somewhat sorry for itself...if so that's an ominous sign for me!

emmitdb - that would be good if you can let me know what is fitted to yours please.

For anyone else...I'm looking in the right place RH side behind the air filter!

David

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is that an AT Dakota you had looking somewhat sorry for itself...if so that's an ominous sign for me!

For anyone else...I'm looking in the right place RH side behind the air filter!

David

No it's an Apache 700... strangly newer vans had all those issues with plastic housings. My current van is another Apache 700 but 2012 and it has a similar screw on "simple" can fuel filter. :)

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

my late 2005 x244 has a plastic filter ... And have been looking at it wishing it had the older type like my last van.

Eurocarparts list two spin on filters and an insert for a canister

Daniel

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thank you all for your input:)
Had a good look at it today and it's similar to the X250 series but different, it's got 3 fuel pipes attached. One on the top and two, one above the other, on the side; electrical connections top and bottom.
Part number UFI 23.55.127.20.

Given the issues others have had with casing leaks I'm loathe to touch it without a replacement assembly - and google is giving me nothing as are several UFI dealers.
I'm not even sure when, or if, the filter has ever been changed in 10 years and 45k miles...really should do it especially as the m/home hasn't been used last year and I'm sure the half tank of diesel will be going off.

danielf - yes had spotted ECP had an insert listed, I'll give them a go, thanks.

Best go and buy the Blueprint tool and have a go...and hope it fits my filter assembly!

David

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you have the plastic thing ( My 2006-7 2.8 Ducato had one as does our 2008-8 2.3 Ducato ) then all you need do is by the right tool to put it back together.
Removing the whole assembly is really easy. The pipes are quick fit type ( pull back the collar and pull out the pipe and the electrical connection is just one plug ) and once all the bits are off the canister assembly just lifts off its slide in bracket

With the canister assembly off you put half the 'tool' in a big vice, and use the other half to undo the top.
Fit the new filter and reverse the process ( smear a little grease on the rubber gasket )
The only real issue is folk tend not to do the thing up hard enough. It really does take quite some heaving to get it up tight enough !!

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
^ Thanks John. I've read through the Blueprint document for using the tool, seems straight forward.

Tool £35.00 from Ebay and £46.00 +vat from my local factor who wouldn't budge on his price...so much for trying to support local business - bah!

David

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tool £35.00 from Ebay and £46.00 +vat from my local factor who wouldn't budge on his price...so much for trying to support local business - bah!
HOW MUCH?? £15.85 on ebay

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
HOW MUCH?? £15.85 on ebay

Well that's £15'ish of hard earned wasted! I had no idea there were alternative manufacturers knocking these tools out, thought the tool was unique to Blueprint <sniff> :)

David

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thats a bit of a bugger ... Still, you only have to buy it once and it is a good investment :)

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
That's the filter changed, UFI filter from ECP with 20% off. The tool worked like a dream - so easy to do as well.
Despite my fears about the filter being the original, it appears not. There was a WIX corrogated paper element fitted and a fair bit of sludge attached to it; guess that's a result of nearly two year old diesel lurking around.

Bought some fuel system cleaner, Archoil 6400-D from Powerenhancer; good stuff by all accounts and helpful folk to talk to. I'll bung that in, burn off what's left in the tank, change the filter again and top up with some sparkly fresh fuel. Hope I don't have any blockage issues meanwhile!

Fingers crossed that I don't get any leakage from the "plastic pot" like so many of the X250 owners, certainly dry just now. In the perfect world I'd like to get a spare housing at a sensible price, but nowt on Ebay that match my part number and I'm not that desperate to pay FIAT prices!

Thanks to all for your advice:)

David

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can I Bump This thread?. Just had the Front wheels off (X250) to check and service a possible sticking Calliper. I noted what appears to be diesel on the lower surfaces and the source seems to be the filter housing. What exactly is the issue?, do the housings crack? or is it seal leakage. The leak SEEMS to be coming from the top of the locking ring. (hard to see in poor light).

I have read the Post by Teckno, but the link to the second part appears to have been removed?. (which I assume is the use of the "tool").

Any one have information.?

At the moment it is only a slight weep but in light of the fact that we are looking at going "down South" later this Month, I could do to get it sorted.

Pete

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The housings do not usually crack but are an absolute BITCH to get tightened up properly ..
The simple cure is to buy the pucka tool to do the job.. It makes life SOOOOO much easier and the job can be done in minutes rather than days and buckets of wasted blood, sweat, tears and diesel !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the pucka tool to do the job.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Been following these Ducato fuel filter threads with interest and some confusion !
Can anyone tell me what type of filter I have on my 2003 X244 ? The troublesome one or the earlier.
Thanks in advance
20160914_181108.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back