New to motorhomes, picking up our new van in a few weeks. (1 Viewer)

chimneychap

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Buxton
Funster No
Hello everyone,

New to motorhomes and forums for that matter.

My name is Bryan and my wife is Elena, we have recently decided to take the plunge into our first motorhome and are hoping to pick up our new purchase in a few weeks time.

(just having a few things sorted, sofa and a few other bits being retrimmed etc).

Look forward to reading through the site, looks like some very usefull information, may have a lot of questions, i'm sure we will be doing lots of stuff wrong to begin with so please bear with us!

Bryan.

PS. New van is a Four winds Winsport 30q 2007, 1 previous owner 6700 miles.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi chimneychap and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:
Any questions, just ask away, someone will be able to answer I am sure:winky:

OP
OP
C

chimneychap

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Buxton
Funster No
Thanks very much Brisey,

Just been having a read on some of the beginners threads which is helping a lot actually.

Just read that the euro tunnel doesn't accept vehicles which have been converted to LPG.

This may affect our decision re: the conversion. The place we are buying the van from has quoted approx £3.5k to have a "good quality" conversion which would take us a fair while to work off as we will be mainly using the van for holidays and get aways rather than full timing.

This was an option we were considering but if this limits us to using the ferry over then it might have to be something we re-consider. What are the general thoughts re: LPG conversions.... yay or nay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
:welcome: chimneychap to MH Fun
See you are joining the big boys toys. Hope all goes well.

Best of luck from a tiddler.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

rolyk

Free Member
Oct 20, 2007
South Glos
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2007
I think you need to calculate whether you'll keep the van long enough to pay for the conversion in terms of fuel cost saving.

If you do 4000 miles a year you'll probably use around 1000 litres of petrol. Assuming that lpg costs 35p a litre less than petrol (that's factoring in the reduction in mpg that you'll get with lpg) you'll save £350 a year. With the conversion cost at £3,500 it'll take 10 years to recover the initial outlay.

Unless you intend to keep the vehicle well in excess of 10 years I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of conversion.

You also need to consider the difficulty in obtaining lpg in some European countries and, as you've stated, you won't be able to use the tunnel.

OP
OP
C

chimneychap

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Buxton
Funster No
Hi Bryan, welcome to the Fun:thumb:

:welcome: chimneychap to MH Fun
See you are joining the big boys toys. Hope all goes well.

Best of luck from a tiddler.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

I think you need to calculate whether you'll keep the van long enough to pay for the conversion in terms of fuel cost saving.

If you do 4000 miles a year you'll probably use around 1000 litres of petrol. Assuming that lpg costs 35p a litre less than petrol (that's factoring in the reduction in mpg that you'll get with lpg) you'll save £350 a year. With the conversion cost at £3,500 it'll take 10 years to recover the initial outlay.

Unless you intend to keep the vehicle well in excess of 10 years I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of conversion.

You also need to consider the difficulty in obtaining lpg in some European countries and, as you've stated, you won't be able to use the tunnel.

Thankyou for the warm welcome guys.

10 yrs is about what we had worked it out at too, which is feasable, the van is only two years old so i'm hoping we wont have to replace it in that time.

@ Desco - Big boys toys is about right. ::bigsmile: We went to view a 40ft a few weeks back which was beautifull but i think just a bit too big, it will only be me driving and i have a full HGV license but we live in the countryside with some quite tight lanes on the approach to our property, and we had some concerns that we may struggle to find sites in europe that will have pitches to suit something of that size.

Last edited:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hello and Welcome,

We have a Windsport 31d and love it,

Also got it converted to LPG, makes a big difference when you fill up and it only cost £80.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi Brian and welcome

We picked our MH up last Tuesday just back from our first weekend away absolutely hooked you will love it especially in an RV

This forum is great had some really good responses and assistance

ENJOY!!!!:thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and welcome from not so sunny Weymouth.. ::bigsmile:

Re having your RV LPG converted.. Even though it costs a few K to have it done,, on the plus side you will get a bit more for it if and when you decide to change, you wont lose £3.5K.. :thumb:

Not saying you will get it all back,, but I think you are more likely to sell with LPG conversion,, I know I looked around till I found one with the conversion already fitted. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back