Motor home stuck under Flintshire bridge blocks road (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Rough Cuts
JS94720343.jpg

A motor home got stuck under a bridge on Broughton Hall Road

This motorist in Flintshire seems to have underestimated the height of their vehicle...and blocked a road in the process.

The motor home got stuck under the bridge on Broughton Hall Road in Broughton at about 6pm today.

Rough Cuts
JS94720338.jpg

North Wales Police attended the scene, but the ambulance and fire service were not called out.

The road was cleared shortly before 8pm.

Rough Cuts
JS94720340.jpg

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/motor-home-stuck-under-flintshire-11600449

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
shakes head in sheer disbelief, I feel sorry for them for the cost of repairs, but as sorry for their insurers

with the approach road being downhill it should have made the bridge look even lower than it actually was

edit - says me who backed into his neighbours three storey house 2 weekends ago o_O

not paying enough attention on both cases I guess :unsure:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In his slight defence, the height sign on his side is no where near as conspicuous as the one on the other side and that seems to have been hit a time or two, even the sign appears to have suffered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My cheepo Chinese sat-nav does its NUT if I try and aim for a bridge which is too low.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
One good thing is that the driver will never forget the height of his motorhome
I'm surprised it got under there at all, 7'6" is very short for a coacbuilt.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
One good thing is that the driver will never forget the height of his motorhome
I'm surprised it got under there at all, 7'6" is very short for a coacbuilt.
I have a feeling it is possibly a bit higher when you enter and then gets lower.

I certainly wouldn't have risked it. My co-driver starts to panic at 3.5 metres.

Martin

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
However, the police sent their dedicated MH unit to help.........(y)

police station.jpg

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Has the bridge shrunk? The pictures in the news story show 7'6" on the signs but Streetview images from 2009 show it used to be 7'9"
I guess that the road has been resurfaced and that has added height to the road surface or to put it another way, lessened the clearance height.

Either way it is a bit of a disaster for the poor owners. :sick:

KH

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The lowest CB Motorhome is going to be at least 8½ ft.

My Doblo is almost 2.2m, so there was no way that was going to fit! :eek:

I'm surprised the damage wasn't worse, but as mentioned elsewhere it could be that the 2.2m warning only refers to one section of the bridge and they hit something a bit higher...but unfortunately not high enough.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
feel very sorry for the owners.. we once sat outside the Tunnel du Chat in France stressing as it said height restriction was 2m6 and we are 2.9- alternative route was a nightmare and road was busy- no way to turn. After a 40 minute wait while huge juggernauts sped past and did not seem to affect the flow we went for it and all was well [apart from my stress levels]
Another time in Italy some irate local jumped out and made us take a detour from the road we wanted to follow and could see plainly it was clear to the junction we wanted...but there was a sign that said buses only so we reluctantly went the way he showed us -left then right and right again.. to the same point. Unfortunately this was a series of one way narrow roads and when we got to the point we could see our initial exit route there was a bridge in front with a height restriction of 2.8 m. I was driving [as ever in an ordeal- must be as I drive an Audi when not in the van eh?] and there was a trail of Italians in cars behind us. No room to turn, so I did only thing possible- started crying... Herself got out and several Italians came to help with shouting and waving and at a crawl I snivelled through. If we had got stuck I would just have stayed in van in bed until someone else sorted it all out. The locals were bvery nice but could not understand why we had chosen to take that route.
Note to self- next time someone gives traffic orders I will run them over [unless it is a nice policeman of course]

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
On the rare occasion that I am not sure I get the Ayotollah to watch me as I creep forward. Just open the habitation doors and peer along the roof line. If in doubt reverse out and find another way. Not hard really.
A friend of mine passed beneath a local arched bridge to get to his house in his van until new tyres were put on, Not noticing they were square aspect ration he clipped the corner of the roof. So from 65% to 100% aspect ratio was all that was needed to rub the archway and not a very happy driver when he reported to his firm.:eek:

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Cor blimey, what some people will do to get a free nights parking.

No chance of rain under there, well lit at night, no traffic noise and no worries about anyone stealing the Motorhome - life of Riley !!!!

:france::france::france::france:

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I guess that the road has been resurfaced and that has added height to the road surface or to put it another way, lessened the clearance height.

Either way it is a bit of a disaster for the poor owners. :sick:

KH

Maybe not. Perhaps he had a lemon of a van and was fed up of taking it back to the dealers. Bright idea, ram it under a local bridge and claim on the insurance. Problem solved. :mask:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Nearly happened to me in Basingstoke town centre. Went down a one way road that had no sign showing a low bridge ahead and on turning right (also 1 way) came face to face with 2.9 metre bridge, just stopped in time. Managed to reverse and park but had to call the police to seal off the one way road so I could get back.
2 very nice female officers attended to help me, I was really embarrassed and apologised. One said not to worry, we do this at least once a week, last time it was a Romanian reg. double artic. Apparently they tell the council to put up a sign where it matters but they wont!

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
He's actually lucky.

Imagine if his van had been 6" higher!

Wonder what it sounded like?

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Note to self... pay attention - convert van height metres into feet - memorise both - stick W-L-H info on postcard under sun visor - just in case

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back