LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I need to buy a new tv for home and was wondering which is better, LCD or plasma?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Ta

ShiftZZ

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
My son was talking to me about this yesterday. He has the same eyesight problem I have and has researched picture quality.

He says plasma is much better quality than LCD but they are getting difficult to find as they are so expensive nobody wants them and most manufacturers have stopped making them.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
42" and above Plasma is the better option. Downside is though Plasma use more electricity. We have both at home a 32" Toshiba LCD in the back lounge and a 42" LG Plasma in the living room. We did try a 42" Phillips LCD but took it back and swapped it for a plasma the picture is clearer and there is less drag/shaddowing with fast moving images.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Don't buy a Toshiba. Every time I watch something that has a fixed box on the screen such as football with the score shown in the top corner an image is burnt. So I could be watching a later programme and still see the football score.

Mostly it disappears after a few hours but it is annoying. I also have a permanent image in the form of a black vertical line that is burnt onto the screen.

My son has a Sony and all I can say is that its well worth the price premium.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just another trick to look out for if you want HD TV
make sure the tv you buy is HD and not just HD Ready the difference is a HD ready TV will require another HD componant such as a HD recorder or hd box to view any free HD progs
A HD tv will display free HD progs in its own right
Geo

Last edited:

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hi ShiftZZ

I have recently got a Sony Bravia LCD TV and so far have no complaints the blacks are really black which I believe can be a problem on some makes and the picture and sound quality are excellent, it is fairly user friendly from the start and is easy to tune in on autotune.
Purchased it on line direct from Amazon and saved over a £150 on best other dealer prices also delivered next day for an extra £4.50p.

Hope this helps John.

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
And lol while you browse the Shops and see these lovely TV's remember the picture they have on them showing is in HD,so they look a lot better than a norm analouge Ariel:ROFLMAO:

when you find a TV you are looking for try seing the model number,get home type make and model number in search,check through first 3 pages[after that its usually repeated] and see what deals you can get for a better price:thumb:

Once was buying a new hifi ,in a well known shop it was £699.99 they then knocked a whole £50 off:whatthe: searched the net got it delivered nextday included in price £420,bargain :thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
My first flatscreen tv is a SWEDX LCD great TV also as it is wooden framed looks good but dont be fulled it is right up to date and HD ready can only say as i have found:thumb: i bought from Amazon

SWEDX Webshop

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Sharp LCD 46 . LCD uses less juice than plasma, I have also heard of lines appearing on Plasma before they are very old.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
g4654m_on.jpg

Flash Gordans around somewhere.

Last edited:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
hi you wont go far wrong with sony plasma uses more electricity also they are prown to get burnout if you keep touching the screen (small children)? and they wont stand any knocking far more proplems with plasma

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
For more years than I can bear to think about I have been a Sony fan - their trinitrons were the best in the business.

Now when it comes to "bang for buck" (quality to value) ratio the Samsung range is hard to beat. They have great contrast ratios and in HD are stunning. We now have 3 of 'em 46" living room, 32" dining room and a 19" in the kitchen and they all have superb picture quality.

By the way there are also the LED tvs now - an LCD with LED backlighting - runs on less power and gives a better contrast ratio and colour depth.

I would go with the LCD though for the best value.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Tv

We have purchased a 32" Panasonic today and it seems to have all of the bells and whistles Freeview, Satellite, Sd cards, Pc connections HD etc etc. And I could pick it up to fit it into the cabinet it will now live in.
Unlike the 27" CRT Sony I have taken out, I nearly bust me truss.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back