locked storage locker. (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Any idea how I can get in to my outside storage locker. My chocks are in there and I can't get it unlocked. She's an old van (25 years) and when I bought her most of the locks had failed but were easy opened with a flat head screwdriver. Not this one, it turns with a screwdriver but that doesn't seem to unlock anything. Tried all the different keys I had but no success.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If its reached that stage then you will need to replace the lock anyway
2 ways are fairly straight forward

use a large flat screwdriver and tap it into the lock using a hammer then turn to release
or drill out the lock
just thought of a couple more, bend a coat hanger to jamb into the lock then pull hard to remove the barrel. only works if the lock is spinning because the circlip has come off the back
some of the really old locks if you fit a flat screwdiver bit in a drill, you can use it by pulling on the door as it spins the lock to get the screw on the inside to unscrew. sounds more complicated than it is in reality

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
just thought of a couple more, bend a coat hanger to jamb into the lock then pull hard to remove the barrel. only works if the lock is spinning because the circlip has come off the back
Depending on how violent you want to be, you can employ the car thief trick, use a double handled corkscrew to bust out the lock. You will of course need to repair the damage as the barrel comes out!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
try pushing the door in while you turn, presuming of course you haven't already, takes the pressure off the catch, it might just turn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It sounds as though the lock barrel is turning, but that the 'flats' on it have worn away, not allowing the catch to rotate with it. Drill it out with a wood auger thats just a bit smaller then the surface of the lock face, then you dont damage the edges of the hole. (y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorhome-locker-locks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It sounds as though the lock barrel is turning, but that the 'flats' on it have worn away, not allowing the catch to rotate with it. Drill it out with a wood auger thats just a bit smaller then the surface of the lock face, then you dont damage the edges of the hole. (y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/motorhome-locker-locks
Wood bit in a metal and brass lock. ?

A cylindrical hole saw will work better.

Maybe 16mm

Screenshot_2016-07-12-00-18-33.png

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I'll take your word for that....Never had to drill one.
I have a pile of the things, you get yet another load every time you buy another drill set, and the best thing is, their sized.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As above but mine keeps locking shut too ... I have to bang the two pushing knobs side of the door a few times but REALLY REALLY hard so it hurts my hand ... then for some reason it unlocks on the key turn bit.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sorry I wasn't receiving alerts so didn't notice the replies. I've tried pushing the door in while turning the lock and banging the life out of it but no luck.

I've got plenty drill bits and cutters at work so I'll have a better look at it at the weekend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back