Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Although designed to improve road safety, the loophole means that drivers may actually increase the risk of accidents by continually switching lanes.
Police chiefs were last night forced to urge drivers not to exploit the shortcoming by trying to evade the cameras. Please don't change lanes and let us fine you?

The flaw affects the controversial SPECS cameras. Unlike standard Gatso cameras which individually flash a car as it passes, these cameras measure a driver's average speed between two fixed points - which can be many miles apart.
If this average speed between cameras is higher than the speed limit, the driver gets a fine through the post and three points on their licence.
The cameras were designed to catch motorists who simply slow down in front of a camera, and then drive above the speed limit until they reach the next one.
But, under Home Office rules governing the camera equipment, prosecutions are only valid if a driver is filmed in the same lane at the start and finish of each section by a linked pair of cameras.So...Let's not all exploit this ruling and stay in lane please??

The local authorities need your money.YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE....
Thanks Ginge

Yours Cynically...

Steve.

Last edited:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
There is another system for beating these and the static cameras that does not need you to change lanes.

DONT SPEED !!!

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Yes thats quite right, you could always not speed, no smoke, not drink, exercise, pay all your tax's willingly:Blush:

Or you could have a life:thumb:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Is it not possible to enjoy YOUR life without ending others ? ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
DONT SPEED !!!
Had a guy rear end me once (well not me, obviously, but the car).

His excuse -" I didn't want to go over the 30 limit so was watching my speedometer!!"

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
So far i have driven for 30 years and haven't managed to kill anyone yet, i proberbly need to go just a little quicker to get um:Doh:

Also don't think I have bored anyone to death either:ROFLMAO:, I can't say for certain however that I haven't killed someone as a result of a drinking/dinning/laughing/partying sessions, but at least if I have they will have died Happy:ROFLMAO:

Maybe one day when you get yourself a motorhome, you'll join us on a meet and enjoy the party too

Ps I don't drink n drive, as you spill it on the corners:cry:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Maybe one day when you get yourself a motorhome, you'll join us on a meet and enjoy the party too

I look forward to it. Though I might get there just a couple of seconds after you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Another way to avoid prosecution would appear to be, Become a Traffic Cop!!:Angry:

Which reminds me of the presumably well known story of the class of 12 year olds who were asked to write an essay about how they would cut down on road accidents when they were old enough to drive.

One lad just wrote.

'Drive a police car'

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
I don't ever knowingly speed.

I say this a lot, and no one believes me!

Really, I don't. I will do 30 in a 30, and I will be doing 30 at the 30 sign, but no one ever believes me when I say this.

People always say ' you must speed at some point'. No: I don't, really! I never knowingly speed.

I work for the emergency services, and as such often drive at 100+ on open roads, or maybe at quite a wedge over the speed limits in towns/villages when I am legally allowed to but I always stick to the limits when in my private car.

And yes, the police (and other emergency service drivers) DO get done for speeding.

Clean licence, and it is staying that way :thumb:

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Why is it that the only people that appear to whinge and beef about speeding, cameras and the police are the people who get caught! Why do people try to get around the law - that's why we have laws; because of people who cannot be responsible.

That's my beef for the day

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Sometimes the law is an ass. 40 MPH on the A1 for a modern truck is a joke.

Traffic police were quite happy as long as we didn't exceed 50 but cameras?:shout:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Isn't it strange how many 'good' drivers think it is ok for them to ignore the speed limit as they have never had an accident in their 30 odd years of driving. What some peolpe fail to realise the spped limits have to be set for the lowest level of driving experience to make the roads safe. I always try to keep to the limits but have to agree that sometimes there doesn't seem any logic to the speed limits on some stretches of raod. There does need to be a complete review of the limits on some roads.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Speed limit and modern trucks?

To some extent I may agree with you but try telling that to people who have been hit by a modern truck at 50. I have travelled in many countries and the UK is one of the worst for speeders, non signallers at round abouts, cutting across white lines on bends, tail gating and just downright agreesive driving. I started to wonder if I was the only one who felt like this.

Now I've stopped beefing and got the soap box out!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have the greatest respect for 30s and 40s. This is where the risk to others ,ie pedestrians animals etc is greatest and will always stick to these limits. It is unfortunate that speed repeater signs are so infrequent , you can easily be driving at the wrong speed especially in the lower limit areas. There should also be repeater signs in 30 mph areas.
De restricted areas 60s and 70s , now thats another story. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have the greatest respect for 30s and 40s. This is where the risk to others ,ie pedestrians animals etc is greatest and will always stick to these limits. It is unfortunate that speed repeater signs are so infrequent , you can easily be driving at the wrong speed especially in the lower limit areas. There should also be repeater signs in 30 mph areas.

Why? If we're not sure we can play it safe and not go above 30. It isn't all that far between repeaters anywhere so it ain't going to do anyone any harm if we happen to be a bit slower than the limit :Smile:

De restricted areas 60s and 70s , now thats another story. :winky:
But we have to take Kontiki's point on board. An experienced driver in a well maintained car with good tyres, brakes etc might be OK but what about the 17 year old who passed the test a couple of weeks before and is driving a clapped out Fiesta? As Kontiki says, the legislation has to cater for the lowest level of driving experience.

Graham

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
speed cameras and speed traps are just a way of making money they have not made any reduction to accidents. I am not saying speed but i think the signs that come on to tell you to slow down have just as much effect in stopping speeding and making you think, also if your nicked and they do not do the job properly you can find info on the internet to help you

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If any of the "speed limits are just to get money" and "I am safe at over the speed limit because I am a good driver" etc brigade had lost a child, killed by a speeding driver, maybe, just maybe, they would review their attitudes...

JJ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am not saying speed but i think the signs that come on to tell you to slow down have just as much effect in stopping speeding and making you think,

Wish that were true:Smile: Unfortunately, the fact that people are still fined as a result of being caught by cameras argues a different case :Smile:

Graham

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Some authoroties now removing speed cameras are they found they found there were more accidents where they were fitted. :Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Why? If we're not sure we can play it safe and not go above 30. It isn't all that far between repeaters anywhere so it ain't going to do anyone any harm if we happen to be a bit slower than the limit :Smile:

But we have to take Kontiki's point on board. An experienced driver in a well maintained car with good tyres, brakes etc might be OK but what about the 17 year old who passed the test a couple of weeks before and is driving a clapped out Fiesta? As Kontiki says, the legislation has to cater for the lowest level of driving experience.

Graham

Hi Graham
We know there are not repeater signs in 30 limit so naturally keep to 30, the problem is the lack of frequency of repeaters in the 40s and its a pain when creeping at 30 when suddenly I see a 40 repeater.
You are right re the lowest level of experience, but I do like to ' toe it ' occasionally, hence the other story

Larry

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are in Germany at the moment. Most towns do not have signed speed limit here - you are expected to slow to 50kph at the sign giving the name of the town you are entering. Only where the limit is other than 50kph do you see a sign e.g. 30kph in many built up areas.

Many towns have adopted the electronic speed signs showing you what speed you are doing and if you are under the speed lomit you get a :Smile: but if over you get a :Angry: On the understanding that we all like to get a :Smile: most people seem to slow to under the limit.

That is not to say that the German drivers are all perfect (far from it). I find that depending in which country you are there are national bad driving traits. The main one in Germany seems to be the complete disregard of the white line in the middle of the road on bends. We have met many a shocked driver on a bendy road where he/she has cut across a bend only to find a big motorhome coming the other way.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Has anyone got the statistics on road traffic accidents and the causes, as i would like to see just what proportion of them are caused by speed alone, as i think there is a possible disportionate response to just the speed element rather than some of the other causes,

I feel that the installation of speed cameras is perhaps being used as an easy way for people to beleive that the, powers to be, are actually doing something constructive to try and reduce accidents. When at the same time they appear to be reducing the numbers of Traffic police who were dealing with all of the causes of road traffic accidents.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Some of the towns in Spain have a set of lights just as you are entering, and if you are exceeding the speed limit the lights are activated and change to red for a short period of time.
Simple, effective and no tax collection!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back