Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just had the egr valve taken apart and cleaned and the mechanic suggested fitting a blanking plate.
There are 2 types, one with a small hole in the centre and one solid.
Which do folks think would be the best to fit?
and if the solid one is fitted will the engine management light stay on and how does that affect the m.o.t.?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Fitting a blanking plate with a hole in it is a pointless exercise as far as preventing recirculated exhaust gases / carbon entering your inlet manifold is concerned.

Fitting a solid blanking plate may or may not illuminate the E.M.L. - depending on the engine & emission control level.

I believe @Techno fitted a kit which prevents illumination of the E.M.L.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Sending the exhaust gases around for a second or more go has always seemed to me to be a dubious concept. But I am not an engineer, in fact nothing like an engineer.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sending the exhaust gases around for a second or more go has always seemed to me to be a dubious concept. But I am not an engineer, in fact nothing like an engineer.
The concept is that any unburnt fuel gets burnt on the second pass, engines are massively inefficient, and do pass unburnt fuel down the exhaust. I had a 1980 Renault 18 and that had a similar system (that failed regularly). It makes the engine cleaner, producing lower emissions.
I have read many of these threads and I have always wondered why you would bypass the EGR, they are fairly easy to replace, so if you get a light on the dash, replace the EGR? Is that not simpler?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The concept is that any unburnt fuel gets burnt on the second pass, engines are massively inefficient, and do pass unburnt fuel down the exhaust. I had a 1980 Renault 18 and that had a similar system (that failed regularly). It makes the engine cleaner, producing lower emissions.
I have read many of these threads and I have always wondered why you would bypass the EGR, they are fairly easy to replace, so if you get a light on the dash, replace the EGR? Is that not simpler?

Not entirely correct, the concept is that returning burnt combustion products into the combustion chamber lowers combustion temperatures thereby reducing the production of Nitrogen Oxides which have been proved to be harmful to humans when inhaled.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Still think it odd that using dirty exhaust fumes in preference to clean air is a good idea. The fact that it works in practice makes it more so. But thanks for clarifying the concept.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back