Opinions on this inflatable canoe? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We're interested in carrying one in the van garage on our travels. what do you think?
Just for still water on our travels - canals and lakes not sea or white water.
Screenshot_2016-07-10-15-54-57.png

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's just PVC it won't have any reinforcing so air pressure and rigidity could be pretty poor. How much?

Sevylor make quite a large range of kayaks are are not that much money, I would trust a name rather than a bit of blow up PVC on eBay.

Martin

EDIT Amazon product ASIN B004FI3S6G
£62.90 and free delivery so not a lot to loose, as long as you can swim and wear a life jacket what could go wrong! It might depend on the weight of the people or person who is going to use it as to how well it performs.

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Lidl were selling the same (only difference is blue as far as I can tell) last month for £40ish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends what you want to do with it ... if it's just for playing about it would be okay but not for anything else - you can't beat Gumotex ones, cheapest twin one they do:

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
image.png
Don't know about that one but could definately recommend this one. Have been testing it out on the broads and it's proving to be great. Really stable, controllable and the underside is made of strong material so not easily punctured.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We've got a Sevylor 2 man inflatable kayak, although we haven't used it as much as we thought we might, it's a good bit of kit.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I was speaking two ladies camping at Skerry earlier this month and they had one of the Broken Link Removed inflatable kayaks. I was interested as I have been on the lookout for one myself. It was a sturdy piece of kit and not expensive. The outer surface is a sort of thick canvas, important if you hit a rock! They had even been white-water rafting (or should that be kayaking) in it. That morning they had been out around Neave Island.

I would not trust my or any of my families' lives in a very cheap blow up bit of PVC. The Sevylor Adventurer is certainly up to a bit if sea kayaking.

I hope this helps.

KH

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Suggest you do a search of the forum for 'gumotex' as you'll find previous threads about canoes/kayaks with info on about the different ways they are made and the pros/cons of each type.

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
We have been using a sevylor adventure for a couple of years nearly and never go away without it in the van. We use it mostly on canals and lakes but have ventured out to sea a few times (we live in dawlish). We have life jackets but with the canoe having 3 separate airtight compartments it is very safe. You must remember that the whole kit weighs about 16 kilo so you must put that in your overall motorhome weight allowance. Check out go outdoors especially if you belong to the camping and caravan club as they give an extra discount to members. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got a sevylor we don't use. It's been on holiday to the lakes with us , with the kids a few year ago, and only used a couple of days in the water. It's got an extra set of paddles.
I know Ralphs been meaning to put it on eBay. Looks the same as the one above from what I can remember. We've a ladies size 14/16 and a mans xl wetsuit too somewhere.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm pretty sure, I've posted similar before...
We have a Sevylor Colorado and are pleased with it but with hindsight would have bought a Gumotex.
Gumotex are more expensive but several kilos lighter, more rigid, durable and critically, much easier to dry out than the double layered Sevylor.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm pretty sure, I've posted similar before...
We have a Sevylor Colorado and are pleased with it but with hindsight would have bought a Gumotex.
Gumotex are more expensive but several kilos lighter, more rigid, durable and critically, much easier to dry out than the double layered Sevylor.
Exactly what we found ... been there, done that, got the 'wet' canoe!!! The ones with inflation bladders inside an outer cover are an absolute s*d to get dry ... if you are on a campsite with the lake/river right next to you and are able to leave it out for a day or two to dry out that's fine, but for those of us who travel most days and go on the water as we do so, one that dries very quickly and/or can be packed away damp without any problems is vital.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We strapped ours to the roof. It was virtually dry by the time we got back to where we were camping . It was summertime though. Packed up Bone dry when we went home.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Exactly what we found ... been there, done that, got the 'wet' canoe!!! The ones with inflation bladders inside an outer cover are an absolute s*d to get dry ... if you are on a campsite with the lake/river right next to you and are able to leave it out for a day or two to dry out that's fine, but for those of us who travel most days and go on the water as we do so, one that dries very quickly and/or can be packed away damp without any problems is vital.
Agreed, we also haven't taken ours into the sea because we know it will cause more issues. With the gumotex, it's simply a quick rinse off...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
20150801_200259.jpg

The outboard just drops onto that bit of wood at the blunt end...

All packs away and fits in the Hymer 660S boot with bags of room for other stuff too...

20150802_193624.jpg

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Cant really afford too much
Also we are very low key canoeists!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have another shuftie on Ebay for a better second-hand canoe/kayak than the PVC one, they do come up, in fact there are some on there now.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
JJ where do I get one of those, the dinghy etc I mean.
Already got mi Sen a rower.
Even if just for emergency times

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check the width of the inflatable canoes / kayaks. The cockpits are often on the narrow side.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you really are working to a budget and only planning for the simplest of paddles, this package is probably the cheapest option.
It's basically a dressed up lilo but still lots of fun (y)
Amazon product ASIN B00AIQ8LGG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Check the width of the inflatable canoes / kayaks. The cockpits are often on the narrow side.
You got a big bum then ducky? :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back