Urgent help required -- Newbie in France (1 Viewer)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Hi Picked up the new motorhome yesterday in Villeneuve sur Lot, everything was going OK until......

I decided to switch on the TV to watch the tennis etc. when the satellite dish on the roof which was already up and 'locked' onto Astra 2 (or so I thought) moved around and the LNB has now wedged against an open rooflight and of course stopped..It is not possible to move the arm back, it is quite rigidly locked and the rooflight is fully open ....

Either as a safety measure or because a fuse has blown there is no lights on the sat system...

I think it will be possible to undo the screws holding the LNB but at the moment we are in full sun at 32C....

IT is a Teleco Classic system.

Any ideas would be appreciated....

Attached is a photo just prior to the 'issue'
P7100013.JPG

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I would try removing the LNB (but not disconnecting) and substituting the fuse, then getting dish to move. Do not force it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All I can do is say "Congratulations". To the best of my knowledge you have a totally new fault and in the tradition let it be named the "Moulin Disaster".

Quite an appropriate name when you think about it.

If you take the above advice make sure that if the dish closes or rotates the LNB etc is not going to get trapped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
The arm has been released from the skylight but the dish is not moving so there is an 'electrical' fault somewhere, I'll be going through the fuse box looking for a blown fuse, any other ideas???

Thanks in advance

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
That happened to us, but we ended up with a cracked roof light after some "forceful" manoeuvres! If you can get on the roof, hubby says you can loosen the nuts holding the dish onto the base plate just enough to allow you to close the window.
Posted this before I read you had freed it.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I think we pulled the fuse out, left it for a while and put it back in in order to re set the dish?

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Or turn on the ignition and see if the dish comes down?

I've replaced a blown fuse in the control box and tried starting the engine but without any joy....Looking now for blown fuses at the main fuse box...

Thanks again

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
It is an installation fault speak to the dealer on Monday and let them deal with it

As it is France , they are not open until Tuesday!!! I've replaced the one blown fuse I could find so as you suggest we'll have to wait until Tuesday!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It is an installation fault speak to the dealer on Monday and let them deal with it

that's a polite way of saying it's a complete balls up ..

the dish should be fitted so that it can rotate 360 deg without hitting any roof furniture or open roof lights.. Whoever fitted it should be bull whipped..

if it has happened once it will happen again.. take it back and insists it is re mounted correctly..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They will love that, holes to drill, holes to fill.

not necessarily..

it may only be fixed with Sikaflex, that's all I used to fit mine.. no screws .. so could be removed with cheese wire.. and the same cable entry could be used..

clearly the installer didn't have a clue or didn't read the fitting instructions ..

just my opinion

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
congratulations on buying a dethleffs, good investment.

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Update...

Only had a 2 amp fuse and a 7.5 amp fuse spare, it was a 5 amp which blew, just as Andy Murray won I tried again with the 2 amp and the dish closed but again lost power, checked 2 amp fuse it was blown, is it OK to check with 7.5 amp fuse...

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I would, but I appreciate I'm not there. However if a 7.5a blows there is definitely something wrong but also you need to try and sort it. Chances are you've blown the fuse as a result of the stall. Replace with a 5a when you can and enjoy your van.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A 7.5 should be ok if there isn't a fault, the 2amp may not have been big enough for the current needed to move and park the dish. 5 amp asap though.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
It would have blown the 2a fuse when it was trying to close, but being blocked on its travel would have been drawing a little more current.
Should be OK for your trip but the dealer wants SCREWING, then SIKAFLEXING!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Found a guy on the site with a spare 5 amp fuse, seems to be working again but will take it to dealer on Tuesday..

Thanks for your help...

Needs resiting on the roof if it's fouling the skylights, I'd insist on it

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Happy if anything I contributed helped in any small way and very pleased to hear that things are now sorted out.

Sounds to me like the dealer has not used much sense in siting the dish. I would ensure that he gives you something ion writing regarding his eventual resiting, so that the hab integrity guarantee is maintained

Also worth picking up some assorted spare fuses

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Of varying sizes there are 7 roof lights on the van and the solar panel, he might find it a puzzle to find a spot!!!!

Thanks again

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Flipping Ekk that is a lot of holes in your roof already !! 7 roof lights wow.

A bit overkill..

We regularly use 2 sometimes 3 if it is really hot...The largest one, the blind is permanently closed:LOL:. if not it is too hot..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We found that if we left the largest one up the front shut and had the blind closed, the heat between the 2 was absolutely incredible !! Have a check.
Mitch.

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
What was the outcome?

Dealer admitted there was an issue but having climbed up to look there wasn't any alternative except virtually overhanging the back.

He also admitted that in this circumstance he should have made it explicitly clear on handover, dish or skylight not both..

It is now in the capable hands of Dethleffs to specify where it should be placed..

As it a 500kms round trip to the dealer and at the moment we haven't had any other issues which need addressing so I haven't chased him.

Though in 3 weeks time we can make a detour to pass by, perhaps has been a perfect nudge to move things along again...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it can't go anywhere else would it be possible to wire a micro switch into the feed for the dish & sited on the roof light . If it is open then dish can't be used. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back