Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
After 3 weeks DVLA have sent our documents back insisting on a IVA/1c test on our new Hymer MLi620 imported from Belgium. Anyone had experience of this? Nerve racking.
Norm

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When we did our Hymer last year paperwork went through in a couple of weeks no hassle.we did have BVS do the import for us so they did all the paperwork for us to send off.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would contact Hymer and ask for the type approval documents..
Bloody nightmare mate..
Although it should sail through an IVA, from memory the cost is bloody scary.. AND you are gonna have to find a testing station

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After 3 weeks DVLA have sent our documents back insisting on a IVA/1c test on our new Hymer MLi620 imported from Belgium. Anyone had experience of this? Nerve racking.
Norm
It looks as if the max cost would be £199 - I suggest ringing the DVSA as they are very helpful (yes really!) and will advise you if you need to do it or not as it's no different to what a dealer would import anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...roval-iva-inspection-fees-from-1-october-2014

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Very
It looks as if the max cost would be £199 - I suggest ringing the DVSA as they are very helpful (yes really!) and will advise you if you need to do it or not as it's no different to what a dealer would import anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...roval-iva-inspection-fees-from-1-october-2014
Very good advice, the helpline at the DVLA talked me through the whole form, it's a bit of a nightmare especially if your van falls in the crossover period in the early 2000's but in our case actually without the CoC but with the German MOT and registration docs no IVA was needed and about 50% of the form becomes not applicable. Did they say why it was required?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Did you go through the UK Mutual certificate of conformity process with the VCA before trying to register with the DVLA or did you just send the the EU CoC to them?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its at times like this Eddie's (Judge Mental) input was invaluable (I do so miss his posts :() ... I know he helped a lot of people do this so are any of them able to help this chap out?

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
It's brand new. We followed DVLA advice, included receipts etc, CoC and Type Approval supplied (Mercedes and Hymer) . Paid VAT. Rang every day for a fortnight "Not on the system yet" then next day they sent it all back because the CoC doesn't state that the speedo is mph and lights are right because we had that sorted by the dealer. Spent all day filling the new IVA/1c up, (£100) now they say it takes 3-4 weeks for them to look at the form. BIG SIGH.

Nearest testing stations are well over 100 miles from Aberystwyth, looks like it'll take till autumn at this rate. Looked forward to our new van for so long.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
You don't need to do the iva. The VCA process is designed to avoid that by converting your existing CoC to a Uk compliant one. all you need is an inspection letter from any local garage and the correct form from the VCA website. (It'll still cost £100 but they tend to process it in 5-10 days and you can use a local garage rather than an inspection centre)

Also have a look at the great advice here, with step be step instructions. ( Though do use new vehicle v55/4 not the used one v55/5)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/importing-a-frankia-motorhome.81297/#post-958858

if you PM me your email details I can send you copies of draft letters I created. One for your garage to copy onto their letterhead for the VCA. One covering letter for your DVLA application.

Last edited:

BJKD

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class 840 BD
Exp
Since 1996
Hi.If you PM me i have just gone through the whole process.It took 6 weeks as the VCA messed me about-also the Vat nova did a cock up.I did all the required forms correctly but due to incompetence by 2government departmentsit took 6 weeks.Just got number plates 2 days ago.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It doesnt appear any different than when dvla had local offices.
Take your docs for something to be changed and you may have been told ...no, you cant do that.
Go back next day, see someone else and get it done without problems.

Dvsa are only as good as the desk jockey attending your enquiry....and a lot of them are clueless when it comes to ' out of the ordinary' problems.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Also, here's link to the official gov website explaining the whole import process step by step.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

The important bit is this --

"If the vehicle’s registered in the EU
Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.
You also have to get a certificate of Mutual Recognition if it’s a left hand drive vehicle."

I suspect the DVLA helpline you spoke to didnt think about the LHD bit:-(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
You don't need to do the iva. The VCA process is designed to avoid that by converting your existing CoC to a Uk compliant one. all you need is an inspection letter from any local garage and the correct form from the VCA website. (It'll still cost £100 but they tend to process it in 5-10 days and you can use a local garage rather than an inspection centre)

Also have a look at the great advice here, with step be step instructions. ( Though do use new vehicle v55/4 not the used one v55/5)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/importing-a-frankia-motorhome.81297/#post-958858

if you PM me your email details I can send you copies of draft letters I created. One for your garage to copy onto their letterhead for the VCA. One covering letter for your DVLA application.

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
The long and short of it is. Ours has never been registered in a EU country. The person at DVLA said that an inspection at a local MOT station is not enough and we had to apply for IVA/1C at a test centre.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
They are still at crossed purposes. He is rightt that an mot is not enough, but the VCA process isn't an Mot. It's a check to enable a mutual certificate of recognition to be issued. Any garage can do the check as long as it's vat registered..it's meant to be easy and reduce the load on the certification centresr. You give the VCA your eu CoC a signed statement from your gaeage, their application form, £100, and they give you back a UK CoC which will then be accepted by the DVLA as proof you van passes all the compliance checks AND has rhd headlamps, foglights and mph speedo.

The wording on the quote I used is misleading as I think it means the vehicle TYPE is registered in the EU.. As long as you have the eu CoC from Campirama you can follow the process with the VCA. I bought a new Hymer from Campirama in Nov last year and registered it that way in 15 working days and have since helped several other people to do the same.....

Suggest it's worth giving the VCA a call I think. They are very helpful and probably understand the initial process better than the DVLA.

Alternatively give the DVLA a call and ask directly f they will accept a mutual certificate of compliance from the VCA- maybe that will get their q+a system into the right area:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
I have just spoken to VCA an they insisted that they only deal with previously registered vehicles.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I spoke to a girl at the VCA when i was having the same sort of problems and she was very helpful and steered me in the right diretion.
Her name was Gemma Hill and the phone number was: 0117 952 4195

Hope this helps
Rob

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Just spoke to Gemma, and she said the same thing, they only deal with vehicles that have been previously registered in the EU. Not brand new ones.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Norman

Might have to eat humble pie here. It looks like they might have changed the rules very recently (someone else I spoke to managed to get through the old VCA process only a month ago!!) and now seem to insist on a new basic iva for unregistered vans. That will teach me to read the links in more detail.....in my defence the high level looked the same...

Sorry for misleading you Norman. Seems like you will be the guinea pig for this and can then be the expert to help those who follow:)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Duplicate post deleted

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Hi Jenben,
I am grateful for your efforts, being a guinea pig was never on my ambitions list!!
Must learn to calm down and wait patiently, more wine needed for the next few weeks.
Doesn't it drive you mad when they say they can't look at your application form for at least 3 weeks.
Norm

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a good were in the EU imagine if we wern't:Eeek:

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We too went through he system only a few weeks ago (May/June), so I'm also surprised at the response you have received. Is there an argument to use that it has already been registered elsewhere in the EU, albeit temporarily? Ours was registered in Holland and had temporary plates and a registration card, valid for 14 days. However, I don't recall supplying either that number or the card to VCA, so maybe that isn't helpful.

For us the whole process took nearly six weeks. The worst aspect was the NOVA/HMRC/VAT bit, as they seemed overwhelmed with applications.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Doesn't it drive you mad when they say they can't look at your application form for at least 3 weeks.
Norm

Yep. It's a shame as the VCA were very helpful and only took 10 days, they even apologised as should only take 5...

Anyway, will be interested to hear how it goes as I was just contacted by someone else importing from Campirama - he picks up his van today. I don't think he realises that not going to be quite as quick as he might like:-(

Btw. Like the look of your van. We might have to try a Mercedes next time...

OP
OP
Norman Jones

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Makes you wonder if Brexit effects are starting to kick in. will get the beams checked locally at least, because I know they've rotated the bulbs to a "Neutral position" but concerned whether UK spec vans have the same part number headlight or not. I suspect they will be very finicky about detail.
The V6 Merc engine is everso quiet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only just caught up with this thread, having imported a couple of vehicles myself and helped a few others. As far as I can see nothing has changed apart from DVLA's website infering you need IVA but if your vehicle is acceptable under the Mutual Recognition Scheme, which a Motorhome is, you don't need a IVA test. As far as I can see the procedure is the same as before, it did just take me nearly ½ hour on the DVLA website to find this out.

Here is a link to the required VCA form.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Lenny HB

As you can probably tell by my posts I'm surprised too:)
I was trying to repay some of the great advice I got from the forum (esp you + Eddie) and think I ended up wasting Norman's time.....

BTW I think the VCA site has changed too -
It says you have to have a registration document. I'm not sure the process checks this so suspect it's always been the rule and we all just slipped through...

"I am planning to import a passenger car, motorcycle or motorhome that is under 10 years of age into the United Kingdom from a country within the European Union. I also have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and registration document for the vehicle."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back