Problems help!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Just returned from 5 weeks in Germany and Austria all went well apart from two issues which perhaps some other funsters have met. We have a 2013 Autotrail Tracker,and with all the heavy rain we have had,some mornings had waterfalls running down the windscreen, on those mornings when starting the engine we had a nasty screeching noise for about 15 seconds, sounded like a belt slipping,for the rest of the day all was normal. The stupid drainage holes were open,and it only happened on wet mornings. Secondly we have the "brilliant"Autotrail media pack in the van, and whilst in Germany and Austria were able to pick up local TV including the football ( I know it is sad for a rugby league man) when we got back to France, all we got was a message No av or scrambled signal, so no programmes. Is this normal, or have the French already kicked us out of the EU, removed British TV owners from those who can get their programmes, if so retaliatory action should be taken. Any help would be appreciated.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ref the drainage hole.. They need a poke now and again to unblock.. I have a piece of old solar cable i keep just for that job.

TV.. Are you re-tuning and also selecting the country as you travel around ??? If not thats your issue. Needs to be done every time you move..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The screeching noise was almost certainly a slipping fan/water pump belt and should be addressed asap.
Although it was caused by being wet in this instance it should still be done as it is obviously not set to the right tension

TV, as already said, did you retune the telly ? And did you make sure you were using the digital side of the tuner and not the analogue side, as all of France is now digital.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I think France is now all HD television so if you have a non HD media it won't work. :(

There was a thread a few months ago about it. But I can't find it sorry.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think France is now all HD television so if you have a non HD media it won't work. :(

Noo.. not all HD.. All digital yes, but not all HD :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bloody French!. Given us trouble since the Romans went Home!.:D:D:D

Not so much as a Thank You, for saving their Ar8es twice in the last Hundred Years!

Pete

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Why not just fit a sat system. UK TV in a lot of Europe. Simple. As for slipping belt or belts change them.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You shouldn't need a new aerial, if you get digi you should get hd too, we can....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Dear Dave......... this is because you don't know what kind of TVs I have at home. Good for you if all yours are digi/ HD ...; but MINE are all very old TV sets, not digi , nor set for HD! Nor was my aerial which was an old one as well, so I did need a new one.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Dear Dave......... this is because you don't know what kind of TVs I have at home. Good for you if all yours are digi/ HD ...; but MINE are all very old TV sets, not digi , nor set for HD! Nor was my aerial which was an old one as well, so I did need a new one.
Hi, Yodeli, I hope I haven.t upset you, certainly not my intention.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well well well !
Thank you for the update Frankie.. Just looked at what is now on offer ..
It seems the switch over to HD was completed on April 16th which is why I never caught it.. We had been back in the UK a couple of weeks by then

Soooo..
For anyone with a standard definition TV you will now have to spend about 30 € and get an HD box to use in France. ( or as mentioned just use a sat dish :) )

Whilst in Spain this year I did actually grab an HD box from Media Markt for an unrelated reason.. It was 29.99 € and has a USB port which allows you to put a memory stick in to record programs on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not trying to be clever, but we have taken our TV out altogether , just too much faffing about every time you move , as we do most days, so now just read or mess about with tablets if we have nothing better to do which isn't very often.(y):)

OP
OP
critch
Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Thanks all, if they have changed the TV that answers that,don't want a sky dish not that desperate, the drain holes were open just too much water, going in on Tuesday for a checkup hopefully will resolve the problem

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Your screeching will be the alternator belt. The alternator will be charging your batteries at quite a high rate if you have been using the leisure batteries a lot, and this will put extra load on the belt
Get it adjusted asap.
Can't help with the tv though, although we have two in the van, we only ever watch dvd's or pre recorded stuff, if we have time.

OP
OP
critch
Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Squeak sorted, the drain tube had come off, they showed me ,it is a very small diameter tube easy to block as we all know, but only push on great if not raining, thanks for all suggestions.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Noo.. not all HD.. All digital yes, but not all HD :)
Apparently it's all HD now. Tv's produced now have the PAL system (UK and possibly others) and SECAM (possible little different)

Yeah, France is all HD now not just digital. Apparently there are 2 main systems ( probably more). UK generally uses the PAL system whereas the French system is SECAM. Most televisions made now have both systems incorporated but, probably like yours, mine is PAL only therefore you'll get INVALID FORMAT when you tune in. Personally I blame our TV people for not advising us that we couldn't get TV in France if your television was more than 2/3 years old. The TV is absolutely fine in other countries. Perhaps brexit didn't help. Small price to pay I say

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Automatic tensioner John.
The vast majority of flat belts are auto tension.
If it squeaks its usually a badly worn or very dirty belt.
So what is the special tool Fiat sells that is supposed to be used to tension the belts ?
Signed, baffled of Norfolk !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have an Avtex TV which won't be an HD one but seeing as on our last 6 week holiday it didn't get turned on once, not even to watch a DVD (stuff recorded at home), I don't think I'll worry! We have it permanently mounted on a bracket and just fastened with a strap in transit so no hassle if we DO want to watch it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You can purchase a HD receiver. Saw them in Carrefour around €35. Probably mains only though.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not trying to be clever, but we have taken our TV out altogether , just too much faffing about every time you move , as we do most days, so now just read or mess about with tablets if we have nothing better to do which isn't very often.(y):)
Not had a tv in khizzie for four years ,don't miss it got a radio ,dvd player and a tape deck,and many books for when I stop . Roy

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sounds like the back of the belt which also plays a part is polished or the multigrooves are , mayby wet or oily. Try a new belt and keep theold one in the back. Photo or draw the belt pattern or you will never get it right again. The belt adjuster has a 3/8ths hole foe a socket drive to fit into to lift the tension.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back