In my new van there are a pair of turnable seats??? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Or they should do, it take the combined efforts of both of us to turn them as the turntable bases are so tight it is/ was almost impossible. They are slightly looser now but it is a right pain to do it still. They are not like my old Chausson which was very easy to turn even though on that it wasn't worth doing it as they were so low down.
Do these actually free up and allow an easy turn as they get used? The turntable has no visible means of tightening or loosening as the plates are rolled around the ball bearings and seem to be be sealed so no lubrication possible as the grease is inside or should be.
YES, I have released the catch, before you point it out.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I have a Carthago and there is no resistance. Clearly there is an issue here. Back to the dealer and try other models. If they are all okay clearly something wrong that needs sorting. We had a Swift before this one and again smooth running

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Back to the dealer and try other models. If they are all okay clearly something wrong that needs sorting

I agree, is it a characteristic of the seats or a manufacturing error? Who built the motorhome?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
On our CI Riviera they did have turnable seats but someone had fitted seat belts which prevented the seats turning :Eeek:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It has Agutti seats, very substantial bases but very tight to turn. I did look underneath to find if there was a taughtening device but it seems not. Maybe in a few years????

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
spray in silicon lube spray. the rolled steel lip does have a small gap, but you need to use a straw to get the lube to penetrate

Reactions: JJ

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Hi Graham

As you know, we've the same van as you. Our seats move freely, but I do recall - and checked with Swmbo - that they were very stiff to start with.

Can't recall exactly when they became easy to move, but given your recent Irish rover I'd have thought (assuming you swivel the seats whenever you park up for the night) they should be free by now.

They are a faff to swivel as you have to move the seat backwards/forwards as appropriate to avoid the back hitting the steering wheel or (on passenger side) the squab hitting the side lounge seat. Presume that the back and or squab aren't catching on anything:)

Guess if they do t free up a call to dealer would be in order, I know you're a long way from them and apart from being able to have a break in Gods Own County would probably rather not have to trek all the way up to get them sorted.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hi Graham

As you know, we've the same van as you. Our seats move freely, but I do recall - and checked with Swmbo - that they were very stiff to start with.

Can't recall exactly when they became easy to move, but given your recent Irish rover I'd have thought (assuming you swivel the seats whenever you park up for the night) they should be free by now..

We have turned them every meal time and they are a BIT better now but still a real faffing about as you say about back and forth to clear the seat etc., We have done 2200 miles now and fully run in but it still feels insecure going past lorries on the Motorways, fine on smaller roads, the power steering is really a bit too light, apart from a LED light going in the seating area no problems and SHE loves it, but still will not drive it yet , it has a much smaller feel to it being a bit narrower and easy to go into smaller places.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our are a bit stiff too
Doesn't appear to be any adjustment on ours

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would go with the "need for lubrication" advice. Or chuck it back at the supplier?.

"Isera", I think that is the word, Seats Should rotate freely, without the need for Huge Muscles.

Pete

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I imagine that they will be easier to turn when you are still sat on them when you try to turn them but I imagine that's what most people do anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back