Thetford Cassette Refurb (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Spent today refurbishing the cassette of a Thetford C200CS. Changed the lip seal, blade opener and seal, automatic vent valve and vent valve assembly. Bit fiddly, and messy, but pretty straightforward. Still on the original seals at 8 years old. When I removed them they were all going a bit hard so worth the effort.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I looked into this and it seemed the cost of the parts was almost as much as a new cassette.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the parts ? maybe I was looking in the wrong place, not for the first time !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
by the time you got to messy and fiddly I had lost interest :)

new cassette, sometimes with a new lid / seat for around £70 last time I looked, 30 seconds, sorted (y)

well maybe not if you include the new seat, but that would go back to fiddly and probably stay in the box unfitted, and eventually lost by the time I needed it :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Spent today refurbishing the cassette of a Thetford C200CS. Changed the lip seal, blade opener and seal, automatic vent valve and vent valve assembly. Bit fiddly, and messy, but pretty straightforward. Still on the original seals at 8 years old. When I removed them they were all going a bit hard so worth the effort.
Sounds like a bit of a shitty job..... :D

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
New cassette, cost about £120, spares under £40. Got the parts from Bradtech Ltd. More beer money!

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I notice that Thetford has just released a "Fresh-up" kit for the CS200 that includes a waste tank with wheels (as well as new seat/lid) for under £100. Has anyone tried one of these? I also note that they do a "vent kit" for £30 - same question.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I thought the fresh up kit was way overpriced, and I didn't need a new cassette. Had a one with wheels years ago and it is a bit of a gimmick IMO. My parts were £30 + postage.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I thought the fresh up kit was way overpriced, and I didn't need a new cassette. Had a one with wheels years ago and it is a bit of a gimmick IMO.

My CS200 doesn't have wheels built in - I thought that only came later - so this is the first time that they're available in this range? My wife finds it quite a pain carrying a full one, so it seemed a good idea to me (and her) - what's the drawback? It appears that you can't buy the CS200 replacement cassette with wheels on its own - only as part of the Fresh-up kit - which does seem a bit naff.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I think they are a recent introduction, we had a cassette in a caravan (not Thetford) with wheels and they are not really any good except on a really smooth road, on anything else the cassette can get damaged. For a full cassette I think a sack trolley style would be just the job, bigger wheels as well. At the price I thought it was just too much, the seals were all I needed and at £30+del from Bradtech I went for it. Took about 45 mins. to fit all the bits and as I stated in my OP the seals were getting hard so were overdue replacement.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think they are a recent introduction, we had a cassette in a caravan (not Thetford) with wheels and they are not really any good except on a really smooth road, on anything else the cassette can get damaged. For a full cassette I think a sack trolley style would be just the job, bigger wheels as well. At the price I thought it was just too much, the seals were all I needed and at £30+del from Bradtech I went for it. Took about 45 mins. to fit all the bits and as I stated in my OP the seals were getting hard so were overdue replacement.
I use a shopping trolley (minus the bag). It folds flat & the handle telescopes. I don't like the idea of cassette wheels mainly because they'd be filthy after use on poor surfaces.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Whilst on a site in Croatia, the toilet sluce area had a hand held pressure attachment on the end of a shower hose, with a hot water setting.
The amount of crudge that came out after using that hot water facility was amazing. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Recently Replaced my Thetford tank inc new seat for £85

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I notice that Thetford has just released a "Fresh-up" kit for the CS200 that includes a waste tank with wheels (as well as new seat/lid) for under £100. Has anyone tried one of these? I also note that they do a "vent kit" for £30 - same question.
I purchased a kit as we wild camp and thought it was pretty cheap, just looked again and seen the C200 now has wheels, mine doesn't so was a little less expensive. http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cara...ravan-cassette-toilet-tank-c200-fresh-up-kit/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
by the time you got to messy and fiddly I had lost interest :)

new cassette, sometimes with a new lid / seat for around £70 last time I looked, 30 seconds, sorted (y)

well maybe not if you include the new seat, but that would go back to fiddly and probably stay in the box unfitted, and eventually lost by the time I needed it :LOL:
takes literally 10 seconds to change the seat. lift seat up and pull straight up. there are 2 round "pegs" that locate it and hold the back down. refit by pushing the 2 pegs into the holes and lowering the seat. it really is that simple with no tools or skills required]
oh and the kit includes some cleaning products too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back