LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I always buy the cheapest supermarket diesel but the MOT is due next month and would like opinions as to which diesel additive is best for a quick purge to reduce emissions on an old (1992) engine.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I always buy the cheapest supermarket diesel but the MOT is due next month and would like opinions as to which diesel additive is best for a quick purge to reduce emissions on an old (1992) engine.
Forte diesel treatment is recommended by a lot of the trade (other products are available).

There is also no substitute for a good old fashioned Italian tune up on the way, taking a detour if necessary so that all the gubbins are well blown out of the system

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
LOL I have been driving Brenda's car since returning from Bagwell as my 4x4 is playing up. Anyway, today I drove with Brenda as a passenger in her own car. I got told off for "driving it like I stole it", but my excuse was it does the engine good to give it the occasional "Italian tune-up"

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
LOL I have been driving Brenda's car since returning from Bagwell as my 4x4 is playing up. Anyway, today I drove with Brenda as a passenger in her own car. I got told off for "driving it like I stole it", but my excuse was it does the engine good to give it the occasional "Italian tune-up"
My daughter used to work for the local garage dealership and she picked up the Jag on the way in to work when it was being serviced. She suggested an Italian tune up but got a very old fashioned look from me. Returned the car later that day and said "it's OK dad, I didn't thrash it........ I ragged it instead" Petrolheads.....don't you just love them. Her fathers daughter, through and through

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My daughter used to work for the local garage dealership and she picked up the Jag on the way in to work when it was being serviced. She suggested an Italian tune up but got a very old fashioned look from me. Returned the car later that day and said "it's OK dad, I didn't thrash it........ I ragged it instead" Petrolheads.....don't you just love them. Her fathers daughter, through and through
Petrol heads don't drive jags. The cars with the small cat on the bonnet are called jaaaaags

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Petrol heads don't drive jags. The cars with the small cat on the bonnet are called jaaaaags
Correct! My daughter wants me to leave it to her in my will - something to do with the 300hp and rail like handling.....

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
just for info - touring Europe we have been using the premium diesel rather than the cheaper one and price/mileage comparisons have shown us that it costs less per mile (i.e. we get more miles to the gallon/litre) from the more expensive fuel and it actually ends up costing less per mile. We have done these calculations on all sorts of motoring - motorway, winding & hilly roads and always comes out better.
Found this out when hubby filled up with premium diesel at the start of our travels as a treat for the engine and as we always keep records it came out better so repeated this several times and every time it works out better.
Hubby says he also notices better performance.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
just for info - touring Europe we have been using the premium diesel rather than the cheaper one and price/mileage comparisons have shown us that it costs less per mile (i.e. we get more miles to the gallon/litre) from the more expensive fuel and it actually ends up costing less per mile. We have done these calculations on all sorts of motoring - motorway, winding & hilly roads and always comes out better.
Found this out when hubby filled up with premium diesel at the start of our travels as a treat for the engine and as we always keep records it came out better so repeated this several times and every time it works out better.
Yes, the last two times I kept records of premium diesel vs normal diesel, unless I used BP ultimate - more expensive in comparison - it came out at worst as cost neutral. Higher cetane index fuel will always burn better. Nowadays, I always use premium fuel in the Jaaag as it has a high performance and remapped engine, and a mixture of the two fuels in the van, depending on where I am at the time and what is convenient.

Reactions: kip

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Give it a good run before you take it for the MOT, enough to get it warm. My old 2.5 Fiat dosent smoke when warm. And don't forget to mention you have a turbo fitted, your allowed more emissions with one. (y)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I have always used premium fuels & even in our 2.2 Ford Puma powered M.H. the difference in m.p.g. between '' ordinary '' fuel & premium is noticeable.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Always use premium now after twice having white smoke on starting after filling with 1.tesco and2. Backwater garage on the way to Skye. Works out about the same cost in the end

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

We've just returned from touring Europe and did exactly the same and got the same result. First fill with premium was a mistake but got far better mpg or so we thought, further fill ups with premium proved it was true.
Always use better grade petrol in my motorbike and the difference is 20 miles per tank.
Van will run on premium from now on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back