The Bellibums

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter conversion
Exp
Very new to all this , had a caravan years ago ( which i wrote off on M6, another story :) ) we are hoping to start exploring when Bruce ( crafter conversion) is finished, hopefully before the end of Summer. We have joined Brit Stops, should i join others also ? Caravan Club etc?? xx

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Firstly I'd recomend joining this site as a member. It's well worth the £15. Otherwise after five posts you will have run out! Caravan Club sites tend to be expensive in my opinion but people tend to make use of their CLs (small five-van Certified Locations).

Once you get started try going across the chanel where aires are either free or very cheap to use. Motorhoming is much better there.

Wyn

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am with the C&CC as well as Brit stops. Although the C&CC site are quite expensive we use their CL sites which tend to be cheaper. We manly use C&CC membership for the new forest sites for much cheapness.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sitting writing this from a great Britsops 4 other Vans here as well.
Now off to a Fun Rally along with the CCC I think your pretty much covered
:welcomesign:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have Britstops and am currently, because I forgot to cancel it, in the C&CC. That's getting cancelled next time round and we haven't been in the other lot for a couple of years.

From next year it will be Britstops only for us.

We'd rather stay at home than use "club" sites and we know of a few nice CL/CS locations that we like where the owners aren't interested in checking memberships so that will do for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I suppose it is because I'm a solo traveller of "senior" years, that I find C & CC sites good value for money at the time of year I travel as I rarely pay more than £12 a night for well maintained, high quality sites. CLs and CSs are not good value for me as they tend to charge per outfit and not per person. If travelling on the continent, I found ACSI a good one to belong to.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think it really depends on much you rely on hook ups.
I would not say we NEVER use hook up but it is very rare ( probably the last time for us while in the UK was about 3 or 4 years ago ), as we have a biggish battery bank and an equally big solar panel array :)

Because of that, and the fact booking ferries etc through the CCC ( camping and Caravan Club ) no longer saved us a bean, we dropped the CCC membership and now stick with Britstops

CCC is not a bad club.. they have a reasonable network of CL sites and in general seem to employ people who are genuinely helpful, so if you feel the need then CCC might be worthwhile

The CC ( Caravan Club ) on the other hand, is, in our opinion, run by people only interested in being bloody minded and greedy !

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As above, a.t.m. E.H.U. is important to us, as we have no solar yet & as relative newbies we've joined the C.C. & the C&CC to start with & we'll see how we go as time goes by.

We are by no means hardcore M.H.'ers & won't be using the M.H. abroad, but for those that do we'd recommend research & taking advice from fellow enlightened Funsters whose knowledge of foreign travel with your vehicle seems encyclopedic :)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Britstops certainly works!

From the point of view of a Britstops venue (Tarbat Discovery Centre at Portmahomack) I know it brings visitors in. I called in this morning and there was a motorhome parked up in our carpark. There were three visitors from Australia who had hired their motorhome and had stayed the night and were visiting our museum this morning. They told me that they had got our details from the Britstops book.

We have also had visitors who are doing the NC500 and come off the A9 for a peaceful night's rest and a visit to our museum the next morning.

We have parking for a couple of motorhomes.

So you see that it works from everyone's point of view.

Thanks Britstops.

KH

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We are very happy to be members of CC, CCC and Britstops. The total outlay is only about £2 per week and they give us access to safe, well-organised Club sites in areas where we want to stay (eg London, near family in Teesside) and possibilities of small sites (CS/CL) for a few evenings around the country, with the potential use of our bus-passes. On the other hand, Britstops offers single overnight stops which may be convenient and good value, but might be adjacent to busy roads or down narrow roads which we prefer to avoid. Because of this, we usually research them in advance and always have a "plan B".

Everyone has their own way of using their MHs and I'm sure you will find yours. Please MH55, reconsider foreign travel (even with the lower euro exchange rate).

Gordon

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As above, a.t.m. E.H.U. is important to us, as we have no solar yet & as relative newbies we've joined the C.C. & the C&CC to start with & we'll see how we go as time goes by.

We are by no means hardcore M.H.'ers & won't be using the M.H. abroad, but for those that do we'd recommend research & taking advice from fellow enlightened Funsters whose knowledge of foreign travel with your vehicle seems encyclopedic :)
I totally agree with my fellow funnier that to reconsider foreign travel. I'm sat on a gorgeous campsite 6 kms from Luxembourg. We've meandered through northern and eastern France and had a problem so went to a motorhome dealer in Metz, fixed in the hour and travelled into Luxembourg. Fuel is around 75 a litre and lpg is 28 a litre. First night on an Aire type and could have caught train to Luxembourg city but decided to make a short trip to the campsite. There are a few around here and cost €2 each way to see Luxembourg. . We're then going possibly towards champagne area then towards northern to finish a week on Sunday. Travelling any of the European countries is so easy.
To get back to the original thread, we don't have solar and not intending to. We occasionally use campsites or generally Aires and if no EHU, that's not a problem. Aires we use range from €0 to €10 a night depending on location. The more at €0 to me is better especially with free electricity and free water. We use locally sourced produce and live very well. Too well (weight Watchers here we come) but love every minute. You decide how you want to spend your money rather than a site fee. Brit Stops is fantastic as is France Passion and the Aires but not necessarily in that order.
France particularly is very motorhome friendly with over 300 new aires opened in 12 months. Cheap crossings can be found and you'll save on fuel costs and if you like a drinky poo then you're well in pocket.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
@EX51SSS

Thank you very much - sounds lovely & all true enough & no doubt awesome, we simply bought our M.H. to explore the U.K. more & take our little dog with us as opposed to always having to locate & use dog friendly hotels, which aren't always where you want them to be, although we would combine longer journeys in the M.H. with hotel accommodation in the U.K.

For all foreign travel we use hotels & hire cars etc to explore, whilst our dog has her own holiday being spoilt rotten with friends :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
@EX51SSS

Thank you very much - sounds lovely & all true enough & no doubt awesome, we simply bought our M.H. to explore the U.K. more & take our little dog with us as opposed to always having to locate & use dog friendly hotels, which aren't always where you want them to be, although we would combine longer journeys in the M.H. with hotel accommodation in the U.K.

For all foreign travel we use hotels & hire cars etc to explore, whilst our dog has her own holiday being spoilt rotten with friends :)
We have brought our little dog with us. She is a 9 month old Cavachon (king Charles spaniel /Biscon Friche) and not only does she love it, everyone stops and says hello to her. She's the star of every stop we've been on.
Dogs are welcome in more places here than in the UK. The site is very happy (but typically they charge for dogs) but otherwise don't. Free on bus and virtually every shop didn't have a problem with us going in.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
@EX51SSS

Thank you very much for the added info' regarding dog friendliness, that's vital to us, maybe we'll reconsider when we can find a M.H. that has a bath ! ! :LOL:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You can also download the app campercontact.
And for a fraction of the cost find stopovers in the UK and Europe with info and guides .lots of pub stops etc free .
Works for me

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Britstops are great for an overnight stop, but as few offer water and even less have any kind of black dump, you need to plan your journey accordingly.

We love Britstops and their European equivalents, but only as part of a broader selection of overnight stays.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back