French Aires - Grey Water Disposal (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi All

I'm going over to France in the school half-term holidays at the end of October, and am looking forward to using lots of aires (for the first time, I might add)...

So my question is, if I may, how many of the aires have "drive-over" grey water drains ? I'm not looking for exact answers (even if it is possible), more like a rough estimate eg. is it 50%. 100%, 0% ?

I ask, as I suspect I might have the same problem as I do over here on CL sites, ie. my grey water tank doesn't have the ability to be piped, merely just dumped straight down vertically to the ground from somewhere near the middle of the underside of the 'van...

So, any pointers as to whether I'm going to have problems getting rid of my grey water would be good. Fore-warned is fore-armed, as they say :Smile:...

Anyway, thanks in advance...

Steve

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my question is, if I may, how many of the aires have "drive-over" grey water drains ? I'm not looking for exact answers (even if it is possible), more like a rough estimate eg. is it 50%. 100%, 0% ?

Hi Steve

From my experience the vast majority have drive over grey dumping .. in fact, I can't recall one without .. that's not to say they aren't any .. but I certainly wouldn't be concerned.

jim

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks Jim, that's certainly put my mind at rest...

And also makes the aires even more attractive...

Cheers

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even if they arent drive overs it cant be difficult to connect a hose on to the outlet. or am i wrong?thousands of m,homes use the aires i,ve been using them for years.never seen a problem. i dont always get water from them as i might have to pay. not so keen on that. always seem to find free water. enjoy it you,ll love it . cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i dont always get water from them as i might have to pay.

alan.

and they call the Jocks tight :Doh:.... :roflmto:

many have free water Alan ... in fact some even have free leccy .. but you knew that already .. :winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Steve
I live over here in France, and we use the Aires all the time (90% are beautiful) as for dropping / dumping your grey water I have two 4" outlets underneath our motorhome just off set from the middle......and to answer your question yes no problem, similar to Jim about 98% to 99% are drive over some are a small square, some the width of your van and some could be a little difficult for a long motor home to fit, but looking at your van you will be fine,
There are some grids, where you have to use the grate at the side of the road not many and the water pipe (drinking) is just in the shrubbery hedge with a second tap for w/c..........with a 100mm sewage pipe just sticking out of the ground you just empty your cassette into outlet and put the blank top back on to seal I have come across three of these out of hundreds of aires
Mel in France

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello jim .i lived on some aires for months it was 10 francs for 100 litres .it was free in the town.once saw about 6 vans near cap breton with the leccy going from one van to the other . i asked who pays for it . it was free. that was back in 98. they were all french and they said they were all living there for the winter . .i used to use an aire in roscoff by the port n the little church on the hill . aire de sainte-barbe-la-langouste.it had tables and chairs then. there were a french couple living there for 5 yrs .in the end i used to have my mail delivered there by the postman.it was before pets passports so i had to stay in france while my wife came back to uk. the dog actually died in st pol de leon. if you ever get to roscoff there is a museum abouy the first johnny onion man from roscoff. the aires are great. i only had a vw at the time couldnt store 100 ltr of water .thats my excuse.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Steve
I live over here in France, and we use the Aires all the time
Mel in France

Thank,s Mel, as if I wasn't jealous enough already:Angry:

Sure it will be our turn oneday:thumb:

Enjoy.

stephen wormald

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
Coach built C
Exp
Gray water disposal

You will have no problem with dumping your gray water even if it is a lift up drain we have just spent three months on them and sometimes recieved free water and electric. all the best Steve:thumb:

Hi All

I'm going over to France in the school half-term holidays at the end of October, and am looking forward to using lots of aires (for the first time, I might add)...

So my question is, if I may, how many of the aires have "drive-over" grey water drains ? I'm not looking for exact answers (even if it is possible), more like a rough estimate eg. is it 50%. 100%, 0% ?

I ask, as I suspect I might have the same problem as I do over here on CL sites, ie. my grey water tank doesn't have the ability to be piped, merely just dumped straight down vertically to the ground from somewhere near the middle of the underside of the 'van...

So, any pointers as to whether I'm going to have problems getting rid of my grey water would be good. Fore-warned is fore-armed, as they say :Smile:...

Anyway, thanks in advance...

Steve

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thank,s Mel, as if I wasn't jealous enough already:Angry:

Sure it will be our turn oneday:thumb:

Enjoy.

Mels says a BIG SORRY........:Sad::cry:
But we have just come back from France, Luxemburg, Germany, and back into France last Tuesday that was four weeks::bigsmile:...now next Wednesday back off again ::bigsmile: down south on the Atlantic side for just four weeks...its a hard life but I will try to keep my chin up and go as much as I can :thumb: as you do not know what is round the corner...for us old codgers....what a life going on all these lovely aires...and most are free :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back