Aaaaaaaargh! Mattress rant! (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
So, the mattress in our Bailey has collapsed. Ok, ok, cue the ribald responses! Anyhoo....contacted Bailey to be told it was out of warranty as the company who make them (Belfield Furnishings) only give a 3 year warranty. But, I pointed out, the label says 'domestic quality' and I'd not be happy if the mattress in my bedroom collapsed after only 3 years, and that's with constant use, which the one in the motorhome doesn't get! So I'm sent away with 'contact your retailer'.
We have been dealing with our retailers for nearly 12 years and are generally on good terms. Even though the mattress is out of warranty they offer to go halves on a replacement which I thought was generous. A replacement was ordered through Bailey then and there (6th June) and we were told it would arrive on the 22nd. Excellent, we said. Due to travel to France et al on 10th July, will be away 7 weeks, need to be able to sleep comfortably! Did it arrive? Well you will have guessed from the title of this thread that no, it didn't. The dealers contacted Bailey, who contacted Belfield, who said "Oooops, missed off the order. Will get on it." No delivery date available. Ah, we said, but we are due to go away soon! Fear not, we are told, you will have it.
Getting uncomfortably close to departure and no mattress. I ring the dealers. They keep getting promised a call back, nothing. Bailey wouldn't talk to me, I'm not a dealer. I email the CEO...(thanks for the idea @ShiftZZ !) no reply. I email every damn person with any links whatsoever to Bailey....hurrah! A reply! We will get someone to ring you....I'm still waiting.
Finally!!! I manage to get hold of Lisa in Bailey customer services. A lovely lady. She informs me that our dealers have ordered the WRONG mattress, it's for a newer model and won't fit ours. I DON'T CARE! I'm so desperate I'll make the bloody thing fit. But will it be here before we go? She'll check.....yes, it will be delivered to your dealers tonight, you should have it tomorrow (today).
And so we wait.......will it arrive? Can we make it fit? Will I make it to teatime without having a nervous breakdown/killing someone?
Watch this space......

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Ouch, I feel your pain :(

Is there not another model like yours at the dealer that they can take the mattress out of?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope it's resolved before you set off !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Ouch, I feel your pain :(

Is there not another model like yours at the dealer that they can take the mattress out of?
Unfortunately not...our dealers aren't Bailey dealers, we got ours as it was a trade in. All joking aside I am desperate as Ron could barely walk after sleeping on our broken one, really affects his hips and back. Still waiting for the dealer to ring!!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@Gerri19 Fingers and toes crossed it all works out OK, have a lovely time in France.

PS Stop hanging Taffy upside down! :smiley:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
friends/Preloved ? Lend/Buy Mattress toppers until you get the correct one ?. Cheap airbed,floatation thingy?
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
friends/Preloved ? Lend/Buy Mattress toppers until you get the correct one ?. Cheap airbed,floatation thingy?
Tea Bag
Yep.... We have seen a mattress topper in Dunelm that we will get if the mattress doesn't materialise. But I'm liking the idea of an air bed, we might have one that will fit. Cheers!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I see Ron "could barely walk" after the mattress collapse..

:whistle:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Can the dealer lend you one for the duration of your holiday from a van on site?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If things are desperate go and buy a mattress.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I see Ron "could barely walk" after the mattress collapse..

:whistle:
Hi.
It is a little known fact,not even in the "Bailey" adverts,that having a "DISCREET>>>" word with the salesman...ooops person, Bailey do a model where the wardrobe does not go fully up to the roof.....................mmmmmmmmmm.
I have re-read the brochure on ALL Bailey models and nowhere does it say the ...Mattress ? will take/cushion the fall,of a ...Weight? of above 10 stones,falling?(I was pushed LOL) from off the top of this type of wardrobe.
Tea Bag.
PS. And at his age as well?

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
If things are desperate go and buy a mattress.
Where would I get one that fits at this late notice? And actually having paid for this one we cannot afford to simply go out and buy another.

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Can the dealer lend you one for the duration of your holiday from a van on site?
Unfortunately not as our dealer isn't a Bailey main agent and none of the small number of vans they have in stock has a suitable one. :(

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Oh Gerri I hope you get it sorted before you go. Maybe a cheap foam mattress off ebay that you can cut to size as a temporary measure?
(PS. my predictive text wanted to call you Herring:LOL:)

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg
There, is that better?? :rofl:
That poor bloody cat! Talk about rush of blood to the head:)

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Newsflash!!!!!
The mattress has arrived......

......and it fits! Albeit a bit snug, but it will certainly suffice. The dealers are happy that we are happy, and I've had a call from the manager at Bailey Customer Services to check that it arrived and that it fits. Had a huge apology for all of the trouble that we have been put to and for the delay (caused by their supplier but unacceptable nonetheless) and has said that he will be putting 'something' in the post tonight by way of a goodwill gesture! He even rang back to double check that someone will be in tomorrow for the delivery!
So, all well that ends well, and a big well done to Bailey for coming good in the end!

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
It is a little known fact,not even in the "Bailey" adverts,that having a "DISCREET>>>" word with the salesman...ooops person, Bailey do a model where the wardrobe does not go fully up to the roof.....................mmmmmmmmmm.
I have re-read the brochure on ALL Bailey models and nowhere does it say the ...Mattress ? will take/cushion the fall,of a ...Weight? of above 10 stones,falling?(I was pushed LOL) from off the top of this type of wardrobe.
Tea Bag.
PS. And at his age as well?

Age is merely a number.....
And it was the rolling together caused by the broken mattress that made the issue so very desperate! I'm not having that!!!! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Brilliant news now you don't have to sleep in the cab seats
We would have had to make up the double bed from the dinette....can you imagine? Not only would we have to take the massive, heavy table that we don't even use, but you need a Masters degree in Tetris just to manoeuvre the bloody cushions into place! Thank God we have a comfy new mattress! Oh, it's the little joys in life that make the difference!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Now mind you don't celebrate too enthusiastically, or you will be needing ANOTHER new mattress........ ;)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Glad you got it sorted. We are crossing on the 11th, so you never know we may cross paths. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is another matter of course ;)

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Glad you got it sorted. We are crossing on the 11th, so you never know we may cross paths. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is another matter of course ;)

Of course it would be a good thing! Depends where you're going. We are heading strait to our favourite village..Luché-Pringé. Will be there for 2 weeks staying at camping La Chabotiére. Where are you heading?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Great result and good for you, enjoy your trip. Just being nosey but how do you actually "Break" a mattress. They are soft squishy things aren't they what's to "Break" inside. I can understand breaking a bed base but a mattress?

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Great result and good for you, enjoy your trip. Just being nosey but how do you actually "Break" a mattress. They are soft squishy things aren't they what's to "Break" inside. I can understand breaking a bed base but a mattress?
Thank you, I can relax a bit more now about the holiday! Good question about the mattress. You expect a mattress to grow a little saggy after many years of use, maybe in the middle. But ours which is less than 4 years old with little use compared to a domestic one) has a distinct line right down the centre, the left side of which is fine. The right side seems to have just collapsed, like all the springs suddenly lost the will to live. Very uncomfortable! And not so much at the top, but mostly towards to bottom which is strange as neither of us has particularly heavy legs!!

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
It's supposed to be a relaxing past time you know but then again 8 weeks in France will be enjoy
I am well jealous Keep in touch you never know we might pop over to see you

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thank you, I can relax a bit more now about the holiday! Good question about the mattress. You expect a mattress to grow a little saggy after many years of use, maybe in the middle. But ours which is less than 4 years old with little use compared to a domestic one) has a distinct line right down the centre, the left side of which is fine. The right side seems to have just collapsed, like all the springs suddenly lost the will to live. Very uncomfortable! And not so much at the top, but mostly towards to bottom which is strange as neither of us has particularly heavy legs!!

Oh I see what you mean, ours doesn't have spings inside thats why I wondered. Glad its sorted and hope you enjoy your trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back