Kontiki Bathroom to be Destroyed! (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello, along with the myriad of jobs that need doing I hope to dismantle the bathroom sink / pedestal in our 1996 Kontiki 640. For a while now the shower hose tap has been leaking where the hose screws onto the shower head. I fear water may have leaked behind the sink and pedestal as it was appearing recently at the bottom of the sink and into the shower tray. I have been told that I need to make sure it’s dry behind there, is this good advice? What exactly is behind the pedestal? I have lagged the leaky hose but it will need a permanent fix.

Questions are, has anyone done this before? Is it necessary? Do I need a replacement hose or just the thready bit that screws onto the shower head that is cracked? How easy is it to take the sink and pedestal apart and gain access and more importantly put it back together again?

Tried to get dealers to help but they just are not interested up here! Anyway I have decided that it is high time I started doing things for myself!

Cheers
Barry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
leaking where the hose screws onto the shower head.
Barry

BTDTGTTS

But it was on our Burstner. I just kept unscrewing screws and removing panels and finally got the one with the shower tap off the wall. Frost had popped a blanking plate out so I just cynoed it back in place - sorted. I even got all the screws back. I was lucky that the excellent German design had all joins overlapping so no silicon sealing to make life difficult.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
BTDTGTTS

But it was on our Burstner. I just kept unscrewing screws and removing panels and finally got the one with the shower tap off the wall. Frost had popped a blanking plate out so I just cynoed it back in place - sorted. I even got all the screws back. I was lucky that the excellent German design had all joins overlapping so no silicon sealing to make life difficult.

Hmm this worries me as my van is British and I think has silicon sealing certainly on the sink.

Not sure I should attempt it now

Cheers
Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hmm this worries me as my van is British and I think has silicon sealing certainly on the sink.
Not sure I should attempt it now
Barry

If you'll forgive me for stating the obvious, you have three options, do it now, do it later and replace the floor at the same time, swap it and let someone else suffer it.

Or, I guess, stop having showers.

If the silicon is used properly they will surely have applied it with the idea it may have to come out.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi barryd
Had the same problem on our 98 royale, found that the sink would lift if constant pressure's applied then we could undo and pull-off the waste pipe and put the sink elsewhere.Then we had a large access hole through which we could get-at the tap, we removed the leaking hose and fitted a new-one. then just pop the sink back-in and jobs a good-un = beers all-round :thumb:

regards...nige

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi barryd
Had the same problem on our 98 royale, found that the sink would lift if constant pressure's applied then we could undo and pull-off the waste pipe and put the sink elsewhere.Then we had a large access hole through which we could get-at the tap, we removed the leaking hose and fitted a new-one. then just pop the sink back-in and jobs a good-un = beers all-round :thumb:

regards...nige

Thanks for that. Yes I think the sink will lift out and I guess until I do that I wont know exactly whats behind there or if I can replace the hose without taking anything else out. Im going to have a go tomorrow.

Regards
Barry

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
that's the best advice..

they ain't called leaky kontiki i for no reason.....

So you are actually suggesting that because a tiny crack in the shower head had caused a slight leak that I should trade in my van?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So you are actually suggesting that because a tiny crack in the shower head had caused a slight leak that I should trade in my van?

it was said tongue in cheek barry, leaky kontiki ..

however, that's a different description of the problem from your original post ...
from small leaks big problems arise .. if not rectified a hair line crack can lead to very expensive repairs and as you were a bit reticent about tackling it selling was/is an option. If it were that simple why would the dealer(s) not be interested?

Anyway, good luck with the repair.. :Smile:

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
it was said tongue in cheek barry, leaky kontiki ..

however, that's a different description of the problem from your original post ...
from small leaks big problems arise .. if not rectified a hair line crack can lead to very expensive repairs and as you were a bit reticent about tackling it selling was/is an option. If it were that simple why would the dealer(s) not be interested?

Anyway, good luck with the repair.. :Smile:

jim

Hi Jim. Its not that they are not interested but it seems that when ever I call the local dealers here they are either too busy or dont know if they can get parts etc. Its just never a positive experience. For example I once called and enquired "Do you fit solar panels". Answer, oh well we havent but Im sure we could have a go. Doesnt inspire confidence. quote from one for supplying and fitting a Camos Dome, £2200 (clearly they were getting someone else to do it and marking it up). Fitted at Leisuretech for £1450, problem is they are 100 miles away! I just wish there was somebody handy nearby that could help sort out stuff that I cant do without charging a fortune. I think the leak started in the last few days of our trip to France in August, I reckon we saw it leaking out the bottom maybe 3 times before I figured out where it was and lagged the hose at the top so its not like its been happening for a very long time. One thing though is your right, I am going to have to address it before it causes any long term damage.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi barryd

regards...nige

Well chaps and especially Nige, many many thanks for the tips. today I bought two new ends for the hose from a local dealer (Gobsmacked they had them and it was the first one I went to)

Took the sink out as per Nigels instructions and had a good rake around. there is very little down there and it appears to go to the wheel arches and some carpert from the rear lounge storage area. It all felt dry. After some fiddling I managed to figure out how it all came to bits, replaced the knackered shower head end, screwed it back on, tested it and no leaks at all. as you said Jobs a goodun and beers all around. Well they will be a few tonight I think as not only did I sort this but I also removed the leaking pressure valve of the Cascade 2 hot water tank and fettled that as well.

the Leaky Kontiki it Leak no More (hopefully)

Cheers All
Barry:Smile:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Appy dayz :thumb: :thumb: