Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I picked up a new cd radio today and popped into the van to install it. (Not completed yet as needed an aerial adapter).

Anyway, removed the old stereo and cage, fitted new cage. Connected up the harness to new radio and thought I'd turn the ignition on to make sure it works.

Yep. No problem apart from the aerial.

Took keys out and thought I'd walk down the local car spares place to see if they had an adapter for the aerial. No such luck (ordered one on line).

Get back and decide to see if the steering controls for the radio work.

Where's the keys? (I left the van unlocked when I walked to ghe local factors as my daughter was home).

Check pockets. Nope, no keys.

Check dash and cubby holes. No keys.

Check seats, both in the cab and the back. No keys

Check the cupboard that has my bits and bobs in. You got it, no keys.

Starting to stress. Where have I put them (it's the only set with the immobilser button on)?

Go in the lounge, have I left them in there? Nope.

Enroll another pair of eyes - the Boss (SWMBO).

I leave her searching while I retrace my path to the factors. No sign of keys. Not been handed in.

Back home. Now the wife's stressed as well. Still no sign of the bleeding things.

Misses goes back in while I start turning the van upside down (not literally of course although I felt mad enough with myself).

Just about to give up and I decide to have one more look. Yep found them.

They had fallen down the small opening where the rear seat belt goes and then under the edge of the coiled up hook up lead.

I just spotted a small bit of the key ring.

Whew. Panic over Mr Mannering.

Glass of brandy time now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Been there, done that. Ours turned up in the place we had both looked individually and together - the place where we always put them. We'd even taken the drawer out, tipped everything out of it and repacked it - no keys then. Anyway next time I opened the drawer they were on the top of everything looking innocent - as if they had never gone missing! I blame the pictsies.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Phew! I started to also panic and think I might need a drink too! Any excuse.... :D

Seriously though, glad you found them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just looking at the keyfinder thing I posted and I can see a flaw. When I've lost my keys, how do I find my keyfinder?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
I have my keys attached to a Loc8tor fob, wherever the keys are I can find them !! Best thing I ever bought.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
When I got my van, it came with 2 keys for everything but only 1 alarm fob. Paranoia ensured that the first purchase was a spare alarm fob......

I changed a radiator in my kitchen recently, and behind the old radiator a set of car keys fell out - Rover from the 1970's or early 80's I'd say. Alas, I checked the garage and there was no twin plenum Rover SD1 sat waiting to be fired up.

It's be more my luck to get a rusty Austin Aggro !

Reactions: Jim

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
image.jpeg

TILE , amazing piece of kit

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I bought my O.H a key finder that attaches on the ring all you do is whistle ?? He has given me it back as anything makes it whistle :whistle: even me talking :ROFLMAO: !!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Been there, done that. Ours turned up in the place we had both looked individually and together - the place where we always put them. We'd even taken the drawer out, tipped everything out of it and repacked it - no keys then. Anyway next time I opened the drawer they were on the top of everything looking innocent - as if they had never gone missing! I blame the pictsies.

I always blame my dad when that happens, keys, purse, passport, he was a bit of a joker, don't think he knew you though lol

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I use a carabiner on all my keys and get into habit of hooking onto trousers / jeans etc belt loop when not in ignition. That way always know where they are.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Misses goes back in while I start turning the van upside down (not literally of course although I felt mad enough with myself).
I'm glad it's not just me! my wife knows that when I have lost my temper (usually with myself) to stay well away! It's only later when situation is resolved that hearty banter can resume! :D

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I was going to post about my lost keys a few weeks ago.

I've lost my keys in the house somewhere.

I can remember seeing them in the hall on the way out and thinking "oh must hide those in case we are burgled" put them in a strange, sneaky place.....

And I've completely forgotten where:doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was going to post about my lost keys a few weeks ago.

I've lost my keys in the house somewhere.

I can remember seeing them in the hall on the way out and thinking "oh must hide those in case we are burgled" put them in a strange, sneaky place.....

And I've completely forgotten where:doh:

You'll definitely be hiding your own Easter eggs soon :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My keys are on a 'Bad Taste Bear' keyring - find the bear in the nurses uniform, flashing - and you have them. One of my absolute all time favourite pressies - from biker friends, she was a nurse! Also attached is the other keyring I've treasured for even longer (TMI) and also a present - it's a brass strip, weighs a lot and emblazoned upon it in black enamel is the legend '39 Forever!' LOL

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Whilst staying at la manga last year we got a taxi from site to go out for celebratory meal. Had drink in bar next door first then into restaurant. Lovely evening. Got taxi from rank outside and back to site. Taxi drives off and we find we have lost mhome keys.Rings the restaurant to see if dropped them there ...no joy. They went next door to bar we were in to check there...no keys. Rang the taxi firm who had picked us up, but due to our shameful lack of spanish they seemed to think we wanted to order a taxi to take us to the quay! Could not ring the taxi who had brought us back as was from a rank and we did not know name of firm. We did manage to break into van (big lesson learnt there as if we could get in then so could someone else) Anyway half an hour later there is a knock on door and there is owner of restaurant with our keys! He had been over to taxi rank and tracked down taxi. They were on back seat. He knew where we were staying , drove over ,got pitch number from reception and brought us our keys.Service above and beyond call of duty. Many thanks again to Mark at Cafeteria del sol.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A friend of ours with slight dementia has his house keys on a ribbon which goes round his neck (the type for id cards etc) and his others on a carabiner which clips on his jeans.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Done it last week and after all the upheaval they were in the ignition :doh:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Got a pal who used to live in a very haunted 15th century cottage. He loved it. Said it was like having someone looking after the house all the time. Only problem was his resident ghost (there may have been 2) loved moving and hiding things whilst he was actually using them, like kitchen tools and keys. He would find all sorts of missing things weeks later in the craziest of places, like his wife's underwear drawer. Even locked him in the house once and hung the keys on a hook outside the door.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete's brother and his wife used to have a mischievous child (a poltergeist one) whose favourite jape was the hide keys. They moved and dunno if she stayed in the old house but anyway she never found them again !

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
After being accused of being the last person to have had the keys, and after turning over the whole van, just as we were trying to leave a site in Spain. I was about to climb into the big green site refuse bin and HE shouts "got em" where were they, in the battery box flap which was hanging open so they couldn't be seen. Who deals with that job HIM!!!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Aaaaaannnnnd relax :) Been there done that with keys and wallets. These look good Amazon product ASIN B011F97OSU
Wonder where they get the size from....50mm x 36mm x 11mm.....the receivers are round. o_O

And they state you can find lost glasses.....would you want one of these dangling from your specs. :D

Edit....ooops, first pic is deceiving, second pic shows oval shape.
Still wouldn't want one on my goggles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Got a pal who used to live in a very haunted 15th century cottage. He loved it. Said it was like having someone looking after the house all the time. Only problem was his resident ghost (there may have been 2) loved moving and hiding things whilst he was actually using them, like kitchen tools and keys. He would find all sorts of missing things weeks later in the craziest of places, like his wife's underwear drawer. Even locked him in the house once and hung the keys on a hook outside the door.
His wife loved a practical joke then.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
:rofl::rofl:

Yeah then they will turn up with the hidden Christmas presents for the kids I'd forgotten about. :rofl:
Funny you mention that.. Found a Krimbo pressy we hid two years ago for one of the grand kids..
I learned something new.. Puppies do not fair well hidden in the loft for two years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back