water for motorhomes in spain (1 Viewer)

paula2072

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our first time next week.
Hi Everyone,

We have another question, so many questions lol,
We have decided now to wildcamp when we go to spain in feb
and we were wondering is it easy to get filled up with water from different
places, where would you go.
Also we havent got a solor panel at the moment would we need one while wildcamping for a month and if so what amp would you suggest, at present
we have a 85amp leisure battery would this be enough.
Thankyou in advance for all your help dont know what we would do without you all.
Paula.:roflmto:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Your be ok for getting water here in most of the garages you can get Just take care were you park up the police have been a bit funny this year were we go. Have fun in the sun:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we were wondering is it easy to get filled up with water from different places,

What about the other side - waste - don't forget that.

I think a good starting place for solar is match the battery to solar, i.e. 84Ah so 80W. But more is better especially in winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

paula2072

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our first time next week.
Hi,
Thanks very much I was a bit worried about the water so thats great that it will be so easy. Will have to be careful where we park up if the police are getting a bit funny
We are just new to all this.
Happy travels to you too, take care.
Paula.:thumb:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Most villages will have a fountain/font where the locals get fresh spring water for free,but you will need something to carry the water to your camper in as you will not be able to park very close.
Some will be marked" no para humane" This means non potable but if you see locals collecting water it will be ok.It just means that it has not been tested we have been drinking it for 10 years with no ill effects yet !!! vnjrv ijjipoi dn ji okwd ww-554
Garages or grave yards are a dead certainty for water but as with all taps in Spain run the water for a few minutes then smell it and taste it to make sure it is not sour.
We stayed on a campsite in Murcia once and the "fresh water " was foul.
Will need to know your power consumption re solar panels but we wild camp for 2 months in the winter and only have 2 110 a/h batts and had no problems.

Have a look at these for wild camping spots

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Good luck

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hey hey Paula, oh no thats a song, hee hee if you are wildcamping and using a TV then 85amp/hr is not enough, a pair of 110 amp/hr batteries and a 120W solar panel should be enough especially in Spain. Have a great trip and don't forget to print out the notice in Spanish for the police (I think it is in downloads posted by Mamo? not sure but someone will confirm)

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
hey hey Paula, oh no thats a song, hee hee if you are wildcamping and using a TV then 85amp/hr is not enough, a pair of 110 amp/hr batteries and a 120W solar panel should be enough especially in Spain. Have a great trip and don't forget to print out the notice in Spanish for the police (I think it is in downloads posted by Mamo? not sure but someone will confirm)

Even the notice in Spanish wont help much they make there own law up as they go along here:ROFLMAO: Some get away with it some just p- - s them of and then your will know it.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Water in Spain

Water in Spain no good for drinking straight off. Ok for brewing tea and the likes, we always use bottled water once out of France. Most of the water is De Salination and is ok for boiling items, washing up and showering etc.
We spend about 4/5 months a year in Spain and always use campsites for safety and avoid being moved on by the police who are getting quite stricked at this time. There are some Aires but always in the wrong place and isolated.

We are at L'Hospitalet de l 'Infant now where it is very hot.

Ron W

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Water in Spain no good for drinking straight off. Ok for brewing tea and the likes, we always use bottled water once out of France. Most of the water is De Salination and is ok for boiling items, washing up and showering etc.
We spend about 4/5 months a year in Spain and always use campsites for safety and avoid being moved on by the police who are getting quite stricked at this time. There are some Aires but always in the wrong place and isolated.

Ron W

I have lived here now 11 years and have only a few times have i used bottled water and touch wood never been ill look on any camp site you go on and see if the Spanish drink the water if they do then so can you.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Water in Spain

Probably depends on your constitution!!!! :winky:

Whenever I am first in Spain or France drinking water direct from tap will often upset my tummy but after a few days am usually used to it. Just different minerals in it compared to what we are used to. Everyone that I know living in Spain has no problems.

Natural springs should not be a problem

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
you can get water at many garages in spain , but it is only fair to spend a little money when you do
so when you go to a garage first check that they have water available , and buy a little diesel , just €10/20 is ok

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,v always found the water ok every where. but be careful if in the fields in spain some of the water is only for the land .but water is every where just ask .a 10 litre container is a nice size to ask for. even houses if it difficult to find it elsewhere. yes they do desalinate so do we ,almost all counties do.if you see what looks like a water plant/works ask there they always let you have some. get a good dual charge relay fitted a second battery n off you go. you may find cheaper solar panels in spain/portugal than you can here. i get mine in morocco.much cheaper. think most get a bad stomach through drink n eating. you being in a camper can do your own cooking and control the hygene. you can tip your toilets in to main sewers .always carry 2 big screw drivers to lever the lids. santimentios or something like it is written on the lids. someone will put you straight. print momos stuff it worked for me.last time i used a campsite was in moria cost 11 quid a night that was 10 yrs ago never used one there since in spain. park wisely thousands of wild campers cant be wrong. cheers alan.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have friends with a house nr Almeria and have spent many hols in the area. The water there was 'de-salinated' but tasted foul; you could wash and just about stand it to clean your teeth but it made foul tea and coffee, though of course the locals were quite happy with it. We used to fetch spring water which was had for about 20 Ptas for 10 litres, but one had to go into the 'Merceria' (the err- cotton shop!) in the village as the spring was basically in their back garden.

It is my belief that the water there is now potable for even us picky Brits!

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
water

The majority of water in Spain is portable ( drinkable ) but can have a funny taste, if you are visiting villages, you will find spring water, which normally is free.
In Almeria, if you are out of the tourist areas ie Roquetas or Mojacar, beach parking is ok at this time of year, but still, if you are parked near someones house it is nice to park a little bit discretly and not outside thier front door, just coming home a hour or 2 ago, I noticed there were half a dozen vans on our beach, which no one will bother about, so long as they don,t start camping ( chairs out etc ) The police said that, if a motorhome is parked as a car, and not as a van on a sight, and doesn't over stay there welcome, then its no problem, but sadly someone always has to spoil it, My van is parked outside at the side of the road, ( as it won't go under the capony at the beginning of the drive ) and no one has ever bothered about it.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years

Ron W

Nice place Ron. We went over a little bridge and at the right hand sharp bent was a dirt track road. Down this road we parked up under the trees. Right on the beach. Further on is a Campsite. Very pricey. A lot of Germans and Dutch were there at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back