LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi as some of you will know we had a electrical fire on the way to shepton mallet.as luck would have it i was able to stop and disconnect and spent the weekend with no power. it went to hospital for a transplant and was discharged today no great harm done the inverter/charging system/batteries all survived.see below for before an after pic,s

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
hi as some of you will know we had a electrical fire on the way to shepton mallet.as luck would have it i was able to stop and disconnect and spent the weekend with no power. it went to hospital for a transplant and was discharged today no great harm done the inverter/charging system/batteries all survived.see below for before an after pic,s

Have not noticed a thread re your misshap,, any idea`s as to why it happened?

My main worry is electric`s..

Thanks.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

Yes, please tellus the reason i.e. what was the faulty componant - Like Mo I worry about fires all the time around the home, in the car, in the workshop especially, and MH not yet on my drive!!! (Something else to worry about)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It looks like you were very lucky as to the damage and no one hurt:Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Glad you are up and running again Dave... and your lot top their group in Europe. Things are looking much better now...

JJ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looking at the pics there seems only two possible causes
1. Incorrect choice of cable for the power demanded
2 Direct short to earth
Both scenarios demand the question what was the fuse doing in all this

Having been victim twice, to similar problems (two different vehicles)
In my case the fuse seemed to sit there and let it happen:Doh:that would indicate wrong fuse chosen, but I can confirm in both instances the right cable and fuse were used (manuf) although i found the causes
I never did get to the bottom in either case as to why the fuse didn't pop before the cable melted, down rating the fuses had them popping off for a laugh:Sad:
Scary stuff electrickery:Eeek:
Geo

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all....i don't have the answers , let me try and explain the batteries bank is under the r/roll bed for storage i put a wooden table over the batteries and on top of that a sat dish for try pod ,maybe theses shifted in transit and the dish shorted the batteries across there terminals but i don't know . i just riped every thing out quickly not taking notice with the smoke and smell of burning insulating. one thing that did need replacing was the split charge relay maybe that what did it,but no fuses or trip switch went all this happened start to finish approx 2 Min's the fast action saved things:Blush::Blush:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
nice to here you are up and running. tell the lad croc says hi and dont four get are tin opener

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back