Discounts available on new for cash buyers ? (1 Viewer)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Hi all,

Me and the misses are looking at buying our first motorhome. We never go camping or caravanning so this is feet first into the abyss!! We have thought about it for along though time and now seems as good time as any.

From peoples experience here what discounts, if any can be had as a cash buyer ? We are looking at the Swift 644 as that seems to fit in with what we require and a brand new one. So, any dealer experiences with discounts? We are based in Surrey if that helps.

Cheers all

Carl

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:hiya2:

Hello we have bought new twice and there always a deal to be done. Members can download a book on this website that gives you loads of info on buying a motorhome.

If you have never camped before have you thought of hiring to ensure you like the holiday style?

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We are also interested in this. We will be buying, cash, a new Pilote P650JG early next year. At list price of approx £50,000, what discount could we hope to get? Alternatively, would it be more likely that we could get extras such as awning, spare wheel or solar panels?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Cash buyers sometimes don't get the best discounts.
I've often found when buying (though not admittedly a MH) that bigger discounts are available if you take finance - presumably because the business can earn more in commission.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Discounts of 20% are not unheard of on new vans
What you save now, you won't lose when you sell later.
We got a good discount on our new Beessie a couple of years ago, and only lost a few thousand when we upgraded it a year later.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We didn't buy new, but achieved a 10% reduction off the screen price plus other valuable sweeteners when we purchased outright.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
20% really ! I consider myself a reasonable negotiator, I would be happy if I could pull that off !
Maybe end of season etc.... We traded a caravan in and got around 3% discount, this seemed to be the same at both the dealers we visited/negotiated with but it was height of the season in November so a lot will depend on the time of year, stock availability, demand etc. No doubt with little demand the price can drop with more demand (our make/model was a sell out) the dealer can hold out a little more.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am sure any discount will depend what the van cost the dealer, if you are looking at continental models they will be costing the dealer more sometime down the line unless the £>€ exchange rate picks up again.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
20% really ! I consider myself a reasonable negotiator, I would be happy if I could pull that off !
If you have a trade in they can massage the figure with big% discounts etc etc, the only bit that matters is how much lighter your wallet is on the way home.

Martin

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
True,the dealer 'massaged' the figures when we bought ours, the only thing that matters with us if we're changing is the final amount we have to pay.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
True,the dealer 'massaged' the figures when we bought ours, the only thing that matters with us if we're changing is the final amount we have to pay.
I agree.. We pick our new van up on Saturday morning and part exchange our current van. For me I was only interested in the difference that I had to pay. As it turned out we got a fantastic deal and was £10k cheaper than any other dealer.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you have a trade in they can massage the figure with big% discounts etc etc, the only bit that matters is how much lighter your wallet is on the way home.

Martin
Not sure that's true
U.K. Retail price for a European import is the UK retail price

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I am sure any discount will depend what the van cost the dealer, if you are looking at continental models they will be costing the dealer more sometime down the line unless the £>€ exchange rate picks up again.

Martin

Maybe now is the time to buy from current stock, for anyone thinking of buying a continental van in GB?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Cheers folks. One dealer I rang said they prefer to part ex. I mentioned that another dealer was nearly 2k cheaper for same model and he said we are always willing to do deals.

So what should/could I expect in a deal ?

Reversing telly, bike rack etc ? what the heck is comfort pack ?

Its all new to me and lot of the deals look very similar. I guess the best is to write down exactly what deal is on the table from each dealer and compare

Im looking here to start with on a new 644.

http://www.michaeljordancaravans.co...le?motorhome=9EBB40A121D2EF5280257EF10052A818

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure that's true
U.K. Retail price for a European import is the UK retail price
Hi Robert

I am not sure you have quoted the correct post buy anyway I can't imagine UK retail prices staying as they are if the Euro stayed depressed for too long. Some UK dealers quote factory order model pricing in Euro (the conversion to UK price would be when the order was placed and paid for) where physical stock is in GB Pounds.

Martin

Upvote 0
May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Visit NEC Birmingham in Oct before making your final choice, next years new models are on show to order for 2017 delivery. However for a cash buyer good deals can be got for new 2016 MHs in stock so go for best discount, plus necessary extras, Fully Winterised, rear-view camera day/night coloured, awning, extra habitat battery & solar panel 100 watt plus, oven, tow bar ? cruise control, cab air conditioning, Sat-nav, TV, Radio/mp3, alloy wheels, Gaslow R 67 refillable gas bottles 1 & 2 11kg Paintseal ?
It's a daunting list I know but it is better to get it right first time than to loose thousands changing if it doesn't please, finally try lying on the beds are they fit for purpose & comfy, sit in the front and imagine sitting there for two or three hours are they comfortable ?
The 644 is heavier than 3.5 tonnes, engine size 2.3TD with a healthy payload, is it up to the job ? Dependant on your age how long before you're 70 licence requires renewal at this age to comply with all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.
Apologies for giving you a lot more than you needed to know it is your choice after all, but I have found there is much to enjoy by the research and anticipation made all the sweeter knowing what you really want beforehand, it also works in your favour for the salesmen will twig that you know almost as much as they do, if the deal is not right for you walk away there are lots of MHs to be sold before the Winter arrives. God luck and Happy travelling :tmi:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cheers folks. One dealer I rang said they prefer to part ex. I mentioned that another dealer was nearly 2k cheaper for same model and he said we are always willing to do deals.

So what should/could I expect in a deal ?

Reversing telly, bike rack etc ? what the heck is comfort pack ?

Its all new to me and lot of the deals look very similar. I guess the best is to write down exactly what deal is on the table from each dealer and compare

Im looking here to start with on a new 644.

http://www.michaeljordancaravans.co...le?motorhome=9EBB40A121D2EF5280257EF10052A818
Remember to check the spec of the "goodies" that you get negotiated into a deal

Some cameras retail for hundreds of pounds, some can be bought for £20 on eBay, the same with in dash entertainment/navigation units, solar panels and regulators and satellite equipment and TV's

Even more so with security systems and tracking systems

So if offered a "package" ask for the make, model and specification of the goodies. If they don't know, ask the to find out, if they can't chances are it will be the cheapest they can acquire!

We see the aftermath of this regularly, when we are paid to remove dealer fitted equipment and install something that works properly

This is not a pop at dealers, and I know some dealers install decent equipment, I am just suggesting when a salesman "throws in" a goodie you look into it a little further.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Remember to check the spec of the "goodies" that you get negotiated into a deal:)

Some cameras retail for hundreds of pounds, some can be bought for £20 on eBay, the same with in dash entertainment/navigation units, solar panels and regulators and satellite equipment and TV's

Even more so with security systems and tracking systems

So if offered a "package" ask for the make, model and specification of the goodies. If they don't know, ask the to find out, if they can't chances are it will be the cheapest they can acquire!:)

We see the aftermath of this regularly,:) when we are paid to remove dealer fitted equipment and install something that works properly

This is not a pop at dealers,:D and I know some dealers install decent equipment, I am just suggesting when a salesman "throws in" a goodie you look into it a little further.
Are you sure.....:giggle:

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I've never quite understood the term '' cash buyer '' , surely when any product is purchased using cash, or credit, the seller receives cash for that product sold, in their bank account.

The only real discounts for cash I've ever noticed are when someone pockets the cash for any given product sold, rather than declaring it for tax purposes & no receipts are issued.

I do accept that sellers that offer credit / loan arrangemants can make a commission on the transaction & therefore a higher profit percentage, but nevertheless the credit providing company pay cash into the sellers account.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I've never quite understood the term '' cash buyer '' , surely when any product is purchased using cash, or credit, the seller receives cash for that product sold, in their bank account.

The only real discounts for cash I've ever noticed are when someone pockets the cash for any given product sold, rather than declaring it for tax purposes & no receipts are issued.

I do accept that sellers that offer credit / loan arrangemants can make a commission on the transaction & therefore a higher profit percentage, but nevertheless the credit providing company pay cash into the sellers account.
Cash buyer would normally mean exactly that, no px which might be a problem if the dealer does not want or has no spare funds for the px, no credit card costing them cica 2% fees, cash is your decision so no delays for approval for credit, etc. so whilst your analagy is an option it is only one of many reasons why cash means cash and can be an advantage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Well, job done, almost. Put a deposit down on a Majestic 180 today.

We think we got a good deal as we got a lot of extras for not much more than the ticket price. Not sure if we could have done better ( as we are noobs ) but we felt happy with the deal and we loved the size and layout of this van. We looked at tons and quite liked the 644 but came back to the 180 each time. If truth be told is probably too big but some of the others felt cramped.

As extras we got a D lock, extra leisure battery, solar panels, bike rack, Tv, the starter pack and 12 month road fund.

Anyway, cant wait now till pick up time !! First shake down will be to the lakes, then maybe more UK based runs. Next year Europe :)

Thank you all for the advice.

Attachments

• exterior_040.jpg
    exterior_040.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Well done we had a majestic 140 lots of extra goodies with the marquis special good van no problems though a lot on here would disagree enjoy (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Cheers Folks. We have paid our deposit and will collect the beast on the 20th of Aug. We negotiated in quite a few extras and arrived at a point that I am happy with.
Now I cant wait ! In the meantime I have to re-jig the hardstanding its going on, move some sheds around and put up two gates and a fence !

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi all,

Me and the misses are looking at buying our first motorhome. We never go camping or caravanning so this is feet first into the abyss!! We have thought about it for along though time and now seems as good time as any.

From peoples experience here what discounts, if any can be had as a cash buyer ? We are looking at the Swift 644 as that seems to fit in with what we require and a brand new one. So, any dealer experiences with discounts? We are based in Surrey if that helps.

Cheers all

Carl
If it was me buy brand new I would put the quality of the dealer rather than the discount first. The after sale back up is crucial to your long term enjoyment of the van. Nearly all vans can have teething problems, some minor and some pretty major. It is how quick and how well your dealer responds to those problems that will make the difference to how you enjoy motorhoming, not the couple of grand you save on the deal.

As you are down south why not have a look at the John's Cross dealership in Kent. They are members on here, offer membership discount and have a good reputation for afters sales. http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

Edit - Ops, I am a bit late with my post, sorry. Enjoy your new van and I wish you many happy miles.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are happy with the deal that is all that matters.

Hope you love your van and have many wonderful adventures with her.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back