Minxy

Weight Plate Word Template (1 Viewer) 2016-07-04

No permission to download

Deleted User
How can this or any other printed piece of paper purporting to be an official weight plate have any validity.

Surely a DVSA inspector would take no notice of anything but an officially authorised weight plate.

My only experience of this is with HGV's which have an official ministry plate with weights and specified tyres as well as any manufacturers plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How can this or any other printed piece of paper purporting to be an official weight plate have any validity.

Surely a DVSA inspector would take no notice of anything but an officially authorised weight plate.

My only experience of this is with HGV's which have an official ministry plate with weights and specified tyres as well as any manufacturers plate.
It has to be supported with a design weight certificate and amended V5C as many of us have done in another thread. WITHOUT using SVtech. Thanks to @Minxy Girl

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...one-done-it-themselves-not-via-svtech.108656/

Mine :p and V5 received back today
image-jpeg.113718

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry don't understand this, anyone could do this and print it out, what's special about this , thought weight plates were metal(n)
As per Techo's post, this is just a sticker for the vehicle to show at a glance what the weight is, it's the paperwork that goes with it that's important which is what you'd have to show to prove the sticker is legit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Deleted User
It has to be supported with a design weight certificate and amended V5C as many of us have done in another thread. WITHOUT using SVtech. Thanks to @Minxy Girl

I presume the design weight certificate is issued by DVSA or that during the authorising process the full details are registered with them as the V5 only shows 'revenue weight' and not axle weight details.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No it's issued by the consultant same as svtech for submitting to dvla for changes to v5

Deleted User
So you are stopped by DVSA for a weight check and apart from the original manufacturers plate, which I presume is still attached, all you have is a printed piece of paper issued by a consultant, how would the DVSA operative know any possible upgraded axle weights. I am aware that the the upgraded max weight would be known as this would be shown on their system through the upgraded V5.

I am not criticising or implying anything is amiss, I am curious as to how this works in detail, bits of paper can be printed by anyone as this thread title implies.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Works the same no matter who provides the service and I carry the design weight certificate with my documents.
If you read the other thread, The purpose of printing my own is because the one supplied by the consultant isn't especially good quality.
As for a DVSA operative. The Consultant contact details and VIN number are there for enquiries

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I am curious as to how this works in detail, bits of paper can be printed by anyone as this thread title implies.

It is for laser printing on self adhesive gloss vinyl not paper, this was only used to test the template.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So you are stopped by DVSA for a weight check and apart from the original manufacturers plate, which I presume is still attached, all you have is a printed piece of paper issued by a consultant, how would the DVSA operative know any possible upgraded axle weights. I am aware that the the upgraded max weight would be known as this would be shown on their system through the upgraded V5.

I am not criticising or implying anything is amiss, I am curious as to how this works in detail, bits of paper can be printed by anyone as this thread title implies.
You get the following from the consultant:
  • Weight change sticker/label to place on your vehicle
  • Letter confirming that he has checked the details etc (not just what WE provide) and stating the weight change is 'legit', this shows the individual axle weights etc too
  • A new design weight certificate again showing all the weight details
You then submit all of this to the DVLA who check it has been done correctly and not just a 'fabrication' by someone unqualified, they then amend the V5C to show the new Taxation Class and Revenue Weight.

If you were stopped they would check with the DVLA, or the consultant if they wished, to confirm it's all aboveboard, so you don't have to keep all your paperwork with you - how many people do you know that actually take their V5C with them anyway - no-one I know!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Me. It's a legal requirement travelling abroad.
... I knew when I posted that I should have said "except Techno"! :D

I actually meant ALL the time, UK and abroad - we always take them when going abroad but never in the UK as I don't want to leave it in the camper for some prat if they nick it especially since it isn't a legal requirement here.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

No such thing on the classes of vehicle we're talking about.

There are 3 on mine - the Fiat one, the Rapido one and the vinyl sticker from SV Tech.

There is nothing official or authorised about any of them. Apart from containing broadly the same information they don't even look similar.

Deleted User
No such thing on the classes of vehicle we're talking about.

There are 3 on mine - the Fiat one, the Rapido one and the vinyl sticker from SV Tech.

There is nothing official or authorised about any of them. Apart from containing broadly the same information they don't even look similar.

So the manufacturers plate stating authorised weights is not officially authorised?

I am fully aware that DVSA issued plating certificates are not needed for anything other than HGV's but some means of DVSA operatives ascertaining correct maximum weights is necessary.

You say you have three plates, non of which are authorised so how exactly does anyone know the correct weight limits.

As I stated previously, the max weight is on the V5 but axle weights and train weights are not, if these are the same on the upgrade then there is no problem but if the axle weights are upgraded is it the case that the DVSA operative at the weighbridge is supposed to take note of a piece of paper supplied by a 'consultant' that he may never have heard of?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So the manufacturers plate stating authorised weights is not officially authorised?

Nope. No more than the converters one is or the engineers one is after an uprate.

You say you have three plates, non of which are authorised so how exactly does anyone know the correct weight limits.

You don't seem to be getting it. None of them are "authorised" because there is no such thing. There needs to be a weight plate but there is no specific "authorised" format, material, location for it or anything else. As long as it contains the correct information it could be written in crayon on a banana skin and taped to the inside of the toilet lid.

Anyone who asked me would be pointed to the SV Tech one which is the most recent. If they don't want to accept that then they can look at the V5 if I happen have it or contact the DVLA I suppose. It's not my problem.

Deleted User
Nope. No more than the converters one is or the engineers one is after an uprate.

You don't seem to be getting it. None of them are "authorised" because there is no such thing. There needs to be a weight plate but there is no specific "authorised" format, material, location for it or anything else. As long as it contains the correct information it could be written in crayon on a banana skin and taped to the inside of the toilet lid.

Anyone who asked me would be pointed to the SV Tech one which is the most recent. If they don't want to accept that then they can look at the V5 if I happen have it or contact the DVLA I suppose. It's not my problem.

I'm sorry but every vehicle has officially recognised and authorised weight limits, how on earth do you think that the law is enforced?

The point that a I am trying to make, that you do not seem to understand is exactly the point that you make about the uprated pieces of paper, that they mean nothing unless the new limits are registered with DVSA, not DVLA.

Of course DVLA are notified but do they pass this information on?

DVSA are the body charged with enforcement, not DVLA, and if they are not aware of any officially authorised upgrade then it could cause problems, and believe me those problems will be yours.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Dvla hold the info that the dvsa use and refer to.
So long as any changes are held by dvla (and therefore on a v5) then it's not an issue.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
metamoros ... you seem to be 'creating' a problem that actually doesn't exist!

If you are stopped by the DVSA they would check the 'official record', ie the details held by the DVLA, the plate on the vehicle (banana skin or otherwise) is just to indicate that something has been changed - if the DVSA operatives just blindly accepted it without checking the details were correct with the DVLA then they wouldn't be doing their job!

If you want to keep making a point (not sure exactly what it is though) then continue but I can't for the life of me see why when we've all explained how it works!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@matamoros Also as you seem so convinced that the service that recognised engineers provide is somehow not legal perhaps you could explain why the DVLA accept their data without mention of a requirement of a so called "authorised" weight plate. Or why so many vehicle manufacturers work so closely with one of the companies mentioned if they are committing such a glaring oversight?

Perhaps you could provide a link showing what the requirements of an "authorised" weight plate are and who the "authorised" suppliers of such a thing are? I don't believe the DVLA make any mention anywhere of such an item.

Deleted User
@NickNic and @ MinxyGirl you have both completely misunderstood my intentions in simply asking the implied question 'do DVSA through direct links with DVLA have access to the full authorised weight limits for any vehicle registered in the UK which you have now answered. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer.

@NickNic what is it about these statements from earlier posts of mine that you not understand:

"I presume the design weight certificate is issued by DVSA or that during the authorising process the full details are registered with them as the V5 only shows 'revenue weight' and not axle weight details.

Or this:

"I am not criticising or implying anything is amiss, I am curious as to how this works in detail, bits of paper can be printed by anyone as this thread title implies."

Perhaps it would be useful to read posts before replying in such an aggressive manner!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... perhaps your question itself could have been clearer .... :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back