Newlad

Free Member
Sep 30, 2009
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
Hi everyone, I'm Mark and live in Wycombe. Bought a 1991 Talbot Autotrail about 5 months ago and fingers crossed is going very well. Kids love it, I love it, but the wife is not overly keen. It might have helped if I told her I was going to buy one rather than it just appearing on the drive, but she's coming round. Going to Euro Disney at the end of this month and need to the trip to go really well so as she might start to feel the dream. Here's the thing. We're getting over to Calais at about 10pm French time. Is there a campsite anyone knows of that will allow late booking in or atleast a carpark on their site we could use about 30 minutes south of Calais. I wanted to be away from calais as the threads concerning the immigrants lurking around would be a definite"Sell this thing when we get home". That would definitely freak her out. Will be searching the web today but just thought if any of you seasoned travellers know of one, it would be more comforting to hear from you. If this trip goes well, think I'll get the green light for an upholstery upgrade cause it's a bit dated looking inside. Cheers Mark

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
hi mark , we have now stayed several times on ariving late at night at port phillip aprox 20 minites in the direction of dunkirk over looking the harbor a good spot with easy access to the french road system and of course the parking is free ! we had the same concerns ref the immigrants as you , but this site is far enough away for it not to be a problem !. for us .

hope this helps ,

regards rayval....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi there, leave the port, turn right and after around 600m you will see a sign to the Calais Aire. Its a popular Aire and pretty safe. But think "security!" before you go to sleep. calais has plenty of unsavoury, hungry residents and whilst I have never seen them on the aire, its better to be safe than sorry. (if you are at all worried about Security see my signature:Smile:)

A shop around 200m away bakes some nice bread and pastry and opens around 5:30, You are then about 3 to 4 hours from Disney at a leisurely pace. Have Fun

The aire is on the left of the picture, you will exit the port on the right, turn right heading Calais town centre

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mark and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:
We live not too far from you, just down the M40 in the Heathrow area.::bigsmile:
You can park up for the night quite safely at the Calais Port in the Sans Billet area.
There are toilets and showers, although there might be a little traffic noise.

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
Can't help you with the campsite in Calais but for upholstery do try THE VAN SHOP - it's in Sittingbourne, they are very reasonably priced. We are going to use them when we can afford to update our upholstery - it's in good condition but the colours are a bit old fashioned and fussy.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have stayed on the Calais Aire that Jim mentioned , it was quite full and no sign of any unsavoury types. Its also entertaining to watch ferries in and out of the terminal.

OP
OP
N

Newlad

Free Member
Sep 30, 2009
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
A big thank you

WOW! thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering whether Calais had anything. I'm actually coming in on the tunnel but I guess they're all pretty close to each other. Will google that port Phillip one to get a feel for that, that would probably suit my wife but easy option of the Calais Aire might suit me. Wife rules though.
Definitely will check out the VAN SHOP, haven't really had a decent alternative quote to the Regal Furnishing one which was ÂŁ1500 to do the whole camper.
Reference living dangerously and die young. I should have been dead years ago, not sure how many free rides you get after your 9 lives are up, but I must be close. She'll leave me one day for sure. I'm lovin this, there's so much to go through on the past threads. Thanks again

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi Mark welcome to motorhomefun we only live in Calcot reading just off jun 12 m4 I was in high wycombe yesterday Perrys Ford London Road picked up our new car just gave up motorhomeing sold last week going back to caravanning we pick up our new caravan this friday 9th oct you might be interested look at the free adds items for sale? good luck with your new m/h Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back