Free Member
Jan 27, 2012
north west england
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Anyone have any advice or things to consider before towing a box trailer? I'm thinking about carrying our electric bikes, chairs and awning stuff.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only to remember the extra length when pulling in from an overtake manoeuvre and swing a little wider on left hand junction turns or the trailer wheel may mount the kerb.
Goes without saying the opposite applies in Europe.
Remember the extra weight when braking if its an unbraked trailer.
Oh, and you will need a B+E licence if you're van is 3500 kg.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On a Spanish site circa 2003ish. There was a single guy in an elderly M-H. who had an old animal trailer / small horse box, in which he carried his motorcycle, gear, and garden table chairs, a generator and all sorts of kit. He was on a "sabbatical" taking time out to explore Europe and had ideas of going into the Eastern Bloc; too.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Great Idea if you can reverse a trailer, but small trailers on large vehicles are notoriously difficult to reverse
If you cant see it you cant reverse it unless you have a camera too, that will help to some degree

Reactions: f6c

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I tow a small trailer a lot of the time, things to remember, some speed limits are lower, no third lane on motorways, you stay with the lorry’s a lot more, reversing is not easy, more expensive on ferries and some tolls, sometimes you forget it there so have a camera, security, they get stolen, parking in towns is almost impossible, you have to take it off to park on a lot of sites can you move it?
Steve

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
We have a box trailer it's great bikes chairs tools we had a bike rack with everything hung on it !! We were way over weight on the back axle so purchased the trailer would recommend one tickners trailers
20160605_124953.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
To me it takes away the flexibility of a small motorhome. We have a 5.2 meter van and carry everything on the back,,two bikes,two deckchairs(recliners) and have a large backbox for other accessories..Downsized this year and love it. Can park anywhere a car can (other than barrier hight car parks) But its everyone to their own,,:):)BUSBY.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
As said above if its narrower than your MH its more difficult to reverse, by the time its visible you'v already got you hand's full :) If its the same width & has a bit of over hang just remember that at fuel pumps etc the rear can
008.JPG
swing out (y)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Great idea to have trailer, I have a tandem axle 2t trailer 7' X 5' X 7' and is a great asset when touring as I can take everything I want without being over weight on mh :) so am 100% legal at all times. Mine gas racking down one side to accommodate all the boxed stuff
And crates and other side for washing machine/ crates and other stuff with hooks on side to take long poles etc also got hooks on outside of trailer to take a bike each side so can take everything :). Suggest if you get trailer that either you can uncouple it and manoeuvre it about easily by hand for reversing purposes or if a trailer like mine but to heavy to do on own then get a motor mover fitted for ease of manoeuvring. I find my trailer is a great asset but does cut down on where you can park sometimes but having all my stuff with me more than outweighs the problems such as parking reversing ferries and slight extra cost in fuel consumption. Overall it's a great idea if you want to stay legal and take everything with you:). As I do :) as I have taken mine on 2 major round trips of 6000 miles to Scandinavia and 4000 mile to Portugal and was a great asset each time. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are trailers and then there are RMB trailers built on a Fitzel chassis. Unfortunately this one is sold, but I do have a Linton Load lugger 120 litre box trailer for sale on a single axle.
La Torreta 009.JPG
Fitzel trailer 008.JPG
Fitzel trailer 007.JPG

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have a trailer too. (Fiat Punto on "A" Frame):)(y):whistle::whistle:

Amazing what you can get in the back with the seats folded!

Laodsa Beer and Wine, Generator, Hang a Bike on the back even.

Oh! and the seats for my project car (last week).

Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but I do have a Linton Load lugger 120 litre box trailer for sale on a single axle.
I hope that's a typo Dave.
120 litre is 0.12 cubic meters.
About the same as a large cool box. :D

1200 ltr sounds better....1.2 cubic meter

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
We purchased a trailer for all essentials that we could not carry in the MH, as Garry flatpackchicken says a great asset to your travels,so I would go down the trailer route and enjoy more of your traveling.regards AlfandM.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Make sure that you have a positive noseweight on the hitch.
I'm not talking, 'Can't lift the thing onto the towball' but sufficient that it's always there when moving.
The recommended load on the towball is 7% of the weight of the loaded trailer but I don't know how big your trailer is.

It goes without saying that the towballs maximum load should not be exceeded, even if 'your' 7% is more than this.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I think the only thing I can add is - if you are trying to move a double axle trailer, it is easier if you jack the jockey wheel down sufficient to lift the front wheels off the ground, or at least reduce the weight. It lessens the drag when trying to turn the trailer by hand.

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back