LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Going to get a tow car next year, either of the above. Anyone got either. Good and bad on each model please.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
@SteveandDenise had a Toyota Toad at Mo's last year and he wouldn't buy junk! The Fiat 500 is the same car as the Ford Ka albeit better looking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Why those two?

Small enough to tow, there are only two of us, weight is ok for our camper, A frame fits them. Cheap to insure, and run, free tax. And we like them. (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yes Popeye the little IQ has been a star no tax to pay and £30 fills the tank we did have a Smart for 2 years but it did go along the road a bit like a tennis ball and the robotic box was an aquired taste.The Toyota feels a much bigger car than it is and dose have 4 seats but you would not get 4 big adults in.Would I buy another one? YES

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Mrs Vic had a 500 convertible. Nice looking car, handled really well........if you drove it like you stole it, great fun. BUT, if you wanted to potter, anything other than a smooth road it was horrid. Too harsh, too bumpy and generally an awful ride. The twin air engine was harsh, rough, noisy and could not return over 45 mpg.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Mikey,

We tow the 500 on our Dethleffs tag without any issues. It's also my main car that I do 300 miles per week in. I'm 6'2" tall and find it comfortable enough.

Ours is the "TwinAir", the smallest but most powerful engine in the range (Abarth version aside). It's an 875cc turbocharged twin cylinder engine. Road tax is zero on this engine.

I average 50mpg without even trying. With some thought for economy, I frequently achieve 55mpg per tank and did, once, achieve 60mpg out of a full tank.
A piccy of us arriving at a FP site (very nice it was too!).

image.jpeg

And enjoying the location:

image.jpeg

Our A-frame was fitted by Chris Cox (no longer trading?) - it's very basic (and heavy) so I'd recommend one of the more modern versions unless you're prepared to run the risk of having a hernia!

Cheers

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The twin air engine was harsh, rough, noisy and could not return over 45 mpg.

For me, the engine is the best thing about the car - it's a twin cylinder so isn't going to be as smooth as a four. It's turbo-charged and they seem to have designed in some induction roar - I love it!

I tend to drive in Eco-mode most of the time and only press the "full-fat" button if I feel that I need the extra power. In either mode, the turbo spins the engine up really rapidly that you can hit the rev limiter if you hold onto the revs a little too long.

Different folks, .........

Ian

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
As a fun car and as a driver, a big yes. As an everyday car or as a passenger, a big no. As you said, different folks.......

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Although we don't tow/toad ours, we love our 500 Fiat.

It's a 1.2 (2014) and to be honest it's a bit gutless. We had a 2009 1.2 and that was a lot more manly, I think from reading bits on the Internet the 1.2 engine after April 2014 was strangulated to meet emission criteria.

It's not that economical, generally we run around town and get 46 MPG which sounds good until you compare it with manufactures figures.

BUT we are lucky enough to have a choice of 3 cars (other than MH) and it's interesting that Minty (the 500) is the car that gets the keys grabbed most.

There's just something about the 500 that puts a massive smile on my face, and to me that benefit is streets above performance, economy, and just about every other scientific measure you can put on it.

Can't comment on the Toyota, or suitability as a toad, but for what it's worth, I/we love our 500.

Good luck with the decision!

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Got a IQ 3 with leather trim and sat nav! (Extras :whistle:) . Love it to bits and returns excellent fuel economy. Had a smart car before with a Towtal frame fitted. No problems at all. The IQ however, has 4 seats (Albeit a tight squeeze!) but better to drive and quirky! It is 900kg in weight where the Smart was 650 ish.
However..Just in the process of having ours fitted with a new frame. Personally...Love the IQ!(y)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's a 1.2 (2014) and to be honest it's a bit gutless. We had a 2009 1.2 and that was a lot more manly, I think from reading bits on the Internet the 1.2 engine after April 2014 was strangulated to meet emission criteria.
!

Agreed. I've had a couple of the 1200s as courtesy cars and they are absolutely gutless! They do make some progress if you rev the nuts of them but it feels wrong and it's not a pleasure?

I'm glad that I Went for the TwinAir.

Ian

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Going to get a tow car next year, either of the above. Anyone got either. Good and bad on each model please.
We have a Toyota IQ. Brilliant little car with proper build quality and reliability. MPG is outrageous and comfort is exceptional. Up front the room is greater than we find in a Mondeo. Bugger all in the back though. Toyota built these cars to suit two people with the capability of carrying four. As a two person car with the rear seats folded flat the car is cracking. The cars were built as a premium product and make Smart cars and Fiats look what they are. Second best.

Zero VED 65 Plus MPG, Great build quality. An exceptional ride and a true useable wee car make them hard to beat !

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Didn't the iQ become the basis for the Aston Martin Cygnet?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also have a shuftie at the Renault Twingo - we've got one and it's brilliant - the turning circle has to be tried to be believed!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Didn't the iQ become the basis for the Aston Martin Cygnet?

It does yes.

The IQ was a premium product and a Japanese car built in Japan. It really is a class act ! We live now high on the borders of Herefordshire / Worcesterhire and it's really hilly ! The wee IQ flies up the hills no bother at all and drives like a far bigger car. I'm a bit of a Toyota devotee but I looked very closely at all the viable options before placing my bets. They are not the cheapest but definitely the best wee town/ toad ..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a Toyota Aygo as our second car and what a great little car it is.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
went for a citron c1 looked at the fiat 500 nice but go for twin air far better, but got a very good deal on a c1 pcp plan change every 3 years and some very nice ltd editions.If pcp works my look at a Abarth next.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have a Toyota Aygo as a tow car.Great little car.We bought it on Mo,s recommendation,he also had one as a tow car.
Brian & Jo

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have a Toyota Aygo as our second car and what a great little car it is.
The Aygo is a great little car ! But the build quality was not great due to it being a partnership car with Peugeot and Citroen. The heater controls and the seats for example.

Toyota had a wee problem in meeting its across the range emissions targets. So they had to build a micro car with exceptional economy and of course emissions. Enter the IQ . IQ stands for Inteligent Quotion.

Toyota decided to build this wee car to exceptional standards hence the premium quality. Seats are mega comfortable yet light and thin. All the controls have a good proper feel to them. The HiFi while fiddly to use at first has a wonderful quality sound.

The good thing is for older people or those with disability like my wife is the doors are big . The seats are set high so getting in and out is as easy as our Toyota RAV4 ..

I've had my one for a wee while but in that time I've hammered it and put some serious miles on it. I use it as my daily driver and it's brilliant. Like all these micro cars it looks a bit odd but it's a fun car with bags of character which few cars seem to have these days !

When I go out in the morning I have a choice of two cars. I can take the RAV4 or the IQ. Unless I need space I take the IQ it's more fun !

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
IQ.

Because ours, although not a Toad, has not suffered a single problem in 6 years.

And because it isn't a Fiat!

-Transit MH owner!

In all seriousness, I had a Fiat 500 as a courtesy car whilst my work van was being repaired. I wasn't impressed one bit.
It was noisy, felt cheap and made me look like a hairdresser!

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
IQ.

Because ours, although not a Toad, has not suffered a single problem in 6 years.

And because it isn't a Fiat!

-Transit MH owner!

In all seriousness, I had a Fiat 500 as a courtesy car whilst my work van was being repaired. I wasn't impressed one bit.
It was noisy, felt cheap and made me look like a hairdresser!

Hairdresser! you would have to grow some hair!

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
For me, the engine is the best thing about the car - it's a twin cylinder so isn't going to be as smooth as a four. It's turbo-charged and they seem to have designed in some induction roar - I love it!

I tend to drive in Eco-mode most of the time and only press the "full-fat" button if I feel that I need the extra power. In either mode, the turbo spins the engine up really rapidly that you can hit the rev limiter if you hold onto the revs a little too long.

Different folks, .........

Ian
I have the Panda 4 x 4 with the same twin air engine we get about 50 mpg , but the power wow does she go,
Had the 500 as a spare car whilst mine had a service, same engine I would definitely reconmend this one..

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We use a panda 1.2 four cylinder average 50+ mpg a lot more room for storage and a lot cheaper than a 500 just a different body on the same mechanical as the 500

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm probably in a strong position to give an valid opinion as I currently have a Smart,IQ and 500, I do though tow with a trailer.

My car of choice is the IQ it really is quite brilliant and contrary to stated opinions it's has an amazing amount of space!

It will carry four adults, you wouldn't go touring but to get to a local Restaurant or Hostelry it's fine.

With seats down it carries all our golf gear, 2 full size trolley bags,2 electric trolleys,batteries, shoes, along with other bits and bobs and they all go in the back and the clubs remain in the bags.

It turns on a sixpence (new penny), you can pretty much park it anywhere.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated, I must admit I was leaning towards the IQ. But keep the pros and cons coming. (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Mrs Jezport has an IQ, we love it. Its fun to drive and has all the toys, Satnav, Bluetooth, DAB, Auto Wipers, Auto headlights, keyless entry and start, steering wheel controls, Electric windows, and Leather seats and Alloy wheels.
It feels like a quality car, corners better than the smart car and feels big in the front with the benefit of being 4 seat.
You can park and U turn in the smallest place.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Of those two id go Fiat 500, four seats covers more options. Overall though I'd go Citroen C1 as considerably lighter and actually drive really well, old or new model, much cheaper as well.

I won't matter to you but you cannot take the IQ on a driving test, They ruled the rear quarter visibility was dangerous. Toyota did look after any instructor who had one though with an attractive buy back scheme.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back