Electrolux Fridge-freezer not working (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The fridge in our 2001 Hymer, Electrolux RM4401 I think, has not been working very well on gas, so I removed the jet and cleaned that and the flue, the jet had a lot of muck in it. Does anybody know what the gas temperature control does, as it doesn't seem to change anything and the freezer/fridge are hardly doing anything.
We're in France at the moment, it's hot but the fan I fitted hasn't been coming on, so not that hot.
Cheers
Nick

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How did you clean the jet? Hopefully not with a pin as that can ruin the jet completely.
No, the jets just a pressed piece of metal, I removed it and blow it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No, the jets just a pressed piece of metal, I removed it and blow it out.
I think that will be the burner. Manic. It is on my 1999 Electrolux AES.

The jet is normally a small brass nut affair, (just before the burner) with the tiniest of holes in it. Often you can get a build up of corrosion on the end of the jet, thereby partially blocking it. The jet has to be unscrewed and blown out as before. As a last resort, I have in the past, used a fine piece of fuse wire to clear jets on cookers and fridges in my caravan/motorhome...............but certainly nothing larger than the outlet diameter of the jet.

Leisureshop direct sell spares for those fridges. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan-spares?fridge=RM4401

A Dometic engineer and supplier tried to tell me that certain spares were obsolete for our AES unit :eek: whereas, Leisureshopdirect.com identified the parts, and asked me how many I wanted. :LOL:

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think that will be the burner. Manic. It is on my 1999 Electrolux AES.

The jet is normally a small brass nut affair, (just before the burner) with the tiniest of holes in it. Often you can get a build up of corrosion on the end of the jet, thereby partially blocking it. The jet has to be unscrewed and blown out as before. As a last resort, I have in the past, used a fine piece of fuse wire to clear jets on cookers and fridges in my caravan/motorhome...............but certainly nothing larger than the outlet diameter of the jet.

Leisureshop direct sell spares for those fridges. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan-spares?fridge=RM4401

The part I cleaned out is like a bowler hat shaped metal pressing with a small hole in it and that's in the burner block under where the gas feed comes in, then it has what looks like a miniature burn where the flame comes out.
Today there seems to be ice in the freezer box, so maybe it took several days to cool all the contents of the fridge and the fans been kicking in but it is at least 33'. So touch wood we keep ice in the freezer.

Oct 17, 2016
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
1996 swift kontiki
Exp
New(ish)
Just wanted to add this for anyone with an older 3way fridge having problems cooling on gas and searching for a solution. I have an original Electrolux fridge in a 1996 kontiki which worked fine on hook up and 12v (now that I've replaced the relay) but wouldnt cool on gas. It would light ok but there was very little change to the flame when turning the control valve. After disconnecting the gas pipe from the burner unit to blow out the jet i noticed the end of the gas pipe was clogged up with a soot like powder. This was blocking the pipe and restricting the gas flow. It was difficult to remove and I had to use a small drill bit twirled between my fingers to get it all out. Now i have a better flame that adjusts when turning the control valve and the fridge works again. Anyone else come across this?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Anyone else come across this?
Not on a fridge, but I did have a similar problem on a caravan grill, which was next to useless I used a fine fuse wire to clear the gas jet on the grill, and then blew the system out with air pressure from a tyre inflator compressor. The grill worked a treat afterwards. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Spook.

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Kettering
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Good info mcb1, my fridge has just developed the exact symptoms you had. Will check out your cure asap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back