Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Good morning , has anyone had any dealings with Motorhome depot? I keep looking at motor homes they have for sale,and I take it they are brokers,they say they will do part exchange. Anybody got any thoughts on them ?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Plenty of threads on here if you do a search. We bought a van from them and wouldnt use them again but not used them for selling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Taking money out of something they have nothing invested in. Do it yourself. Don't buy something off someone that doesn't own it.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As said use the search box...
Seen several posts with same topic..
View seems divided.. It always puts me off when I see a van for sale and their name, dont they take a deposit or something before they let you go see a van ???

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Never asked for a deposit from us - but unfortunately I decided to settle the outstanding debt on the Van with Black Horse directly rather than pay Motorhome Depot and trust them to pay Black Horse. This meant it would have been nigh on impossible to reject it. When the van was handed over the Guy said by the way I noticed the Speedo isnt working on the way back from the MOT but it'll only be the sender unit. I had to replace the Cluster for £800 which added to other costs eg New Fridge/Leisure Battery/Air Suspension to get some payload made the Van have a nickname of The Money Pit. I know others have had good experience both Buying and Selling but I would be very wary if I were to do it again. Needless to say the replacement van was from a dealer.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Never asked for a deposit from us - but unfortunately I decided to settle the outstanding debt on the Van with Black Horse directly rather than pay Motorhome Depot and trust them to pay Black Horse. This meant it would have been nigh on impossible to reject it. When the van was handed over the Guy said by the way I noticed the Speedo isnt working on the way back from the MOT but it'll only be the sender unit. I had to replace the Cluster for £800 which added to other costs eg New Fridge/Leisure Battery/Air Suspension to get some payload made the Van have a nickname of The Money Pit. I know others have had good experience both Buying and Selling but I would be very wary if I were to do it again. Needless to say the replacement van was from a dealer.

How long hasn't it been working for.. my reply to that would have been, ' well if that is all it is, it wont take you long to sort' .

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
How long hasn't it been working for.. my reply to that would have been, ' well if that is all it is, it wont take you long to sort' .

You are right - I was too nice then and Mrs Colpot had fallen in love with the van in spite of my negativity over the weight and we had to have it as we sold our previous van and needed a replacement for a family get together booked for the following weekend. With hindsight we wouldnt have bought it but my hindsight has always been lacking. Having said that about Motorhome Depot they seem to be different depending on where you live. The Guy we were dealing with was in Kent.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You are right - I was too nice then and Mrs Colpot had fallen in love with the van in spite of my negativity over the weight and we had to have it as we sold our previous van and needed a replacement for a family get together booked for the following weekend. With hindsight we wouldnt have bought it but my hindsight has always been lacking. Having said that about Motorhome Depot they seem to be different depending on where you live. The Guy we were dealing with was in Kent.

My understanding is that they are a franchise operation, so you are dealing with an individual rather that a company, so you are buying off a used car dealer , who doesn't own the cars . They do have dealer premises , I believe, but most 'agents' don't.

And yes, its always easy in hindsight, mine is 20/20 lol

And try not to be too negative over Mrs Colpot's weight ..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
unless they lied to you regarding payload i cant see how you can blame motorhome depot for that
As far as i can work out they are just agents working freelance covering an area so it will be pot luck how good your agent is so basically your dealing with a used car salesman who hasn't got a proper job

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Technically he didnt lie about the weight - he just pointed to the wrong page where the Model had a higher one and we didnt look for the weight plate on the Van itself - and we were in a rush and we learnt our lesson. If I had trusted them in the first place I would have been in a better position to pull out of the deal b ut once Black Horse had been paid I guessed it would be difficult to get the money back off them, and hey I am not blaming them, just saying IF I were to look to buy off them in future I would be more wary and check everything over.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
These are precisely the reasons you steer clear... if I buy something from the guy who has owned it for 5 years , I expect him to know what he is selling, when stuff was done etc .

If I ask a question , and the guy doesn't know , what then.

Its a fine line between lying and being economical with the truth .

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at a Dethleff 7870, there are only two nearly new ones in the country and they've got both of them , not made the initial contact yet, I'm a bit wary of them

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Keep looking.. one will come up

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am always amazed at the question what are so n so like??
Are you buying into this company or buying from them
Will the 7870 suddenly turn into a better van if sold by some one else
I'm being a little unfair here because I'm in the motor trade and buy on a regular basis
And belive me if the vans right and the deal was right I would buy it from scrooge
If the vans cap I wouldn't buy it from Mother Tereasa.
Any warranty your maybe relying on proverb won't be worth the paper it's printed on anyway
Negotiate a price that will cover the odd problem
Take your own expert to view or arrange an expert inspection and buy a good van you wanto
Geo Confusoius Say
A good van sold by a crook is still good van
A bad van sold by a Saint is still bad van

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I'm being a little unfair here because I'm in the motor trade and buy on a regular basis
And belive me if the vans right and the deal was right I would buy it from scrooge
Any warranty your maybe relying on proverb won't be worth the paper it's printed on anyway
Take your own expert to view or arrange an expert inspection and buy a good van you wanto
Geo Confusoius Say
Fair point, but I bought a Motorhome that had a lot of problems,but everyone was sorted by the dealer,so in my eyes they are a good dealer, people come on here and say they have had problems,and the dealer has been useless, so guess what, I class them as a bad dealer.so I stand by my question of what are so n so like and I am sure I will ask it again

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhome depot, is no worse than buying private, probably slightly better, but as geo says, if the van and the price is right, makes no odds who

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Geo Confusoius Say
Couldn't agree more!

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have bought vehicles from all sorts of places. If you know what to look for, a good buy can be got from anywhere.

Craig

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fair point, but I bought a Motorhome that had a lot of problems,but everyone was sorted by the dealer,so in my eyes they are a good dealer, people come on here and say they have had problems,and the dealer has been useless, so guess what, I class them as a bad dealer.so I stand by my question of what are so n so like and I am sure I will ask it again
Really!!!
That makes em a crap dealer they sold you a bunch of troubles worse still you bought it, and it begs the question why did you by a van with loads of problems.
If you failed to spot em that's who's at fault
Im afraid your statement only reinforces mine.
You say you bought from a "good dealer" and had a lot of problems,
I bought from a crappy dealer and had no problems who got the best deal???
I know that Mo Ho depot screw the seller to cover any faults found pre sale I dont know how they cover after sales probably an insurance based warranty that you are paying for and can buy yourself at half the price
Me thinks far far too many are bought by the heart and not the head
G

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Geo Confusoius Say
Fair point, but I bought a Motorhome that had a lot of problems,but everyone was sorted by the dealer,so in my eyes they are a good dealer, people come on here and say they have had problems,and the dealer has been useless, so guess what, I class them as a bad dealer.so I stand by my question of what are so n so like and I am sure I will ask it a
Really!!!
That makes em a crap dealer they sold you a bunch of troubles worse still you bought it, and it begs the question why did you by a van with loads of problems.
If you failed to spot em that's who's at fault
Im afraid your statement only reinforces mine.
You say you bought from a "good dealer" and had a lot of problems,
I bought from a crappy dealer and had no problems who got the best deal???
I know that Mo Ho depot screw the seller to cover any faults found pre sale I dont know how they cover after sales probably an insurance based warranty that you are paying for and can buy yourself at half the price
Me thinks far far too many are bought by the heart and not the head
G
in my defence the van I bought was new

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Fair point, but I bought a Motorhome that had a lot of problems,but everyone was sorted by the dealer,so in my eyes they are a good dealer, people come on here and say they have had problems,and the dealer has been useless, so guess what, I class them as a bad dealer.so I stand by my question of what are so n so like and I am sure I will ask it a

in my defence the van I bought was new
Plus I only asked a simple question , why such hostility ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No you still don't get it do you
The motor homes that had all the problems were crap motor homes
the dealers who sold crap motor homes, are crap dealers, even if they did fix em, they should not have been any problems in the first place
dealers who sell Brand New motor homes with problems are especially crap dealers
People who buy new and expect no problems are usually deluding only themselves,
you are getting the benefit, want it or not, the views and experience of a trader and you call me Hostile.
If I took £30K plus off you and sold you a van with loads of faults Im a good guy right?
There is something fundamentally wrong with your logic or thought processes
PS. That also is not hostile
Its my opinion of the way your thinking that's all it is, and not every one will agree,
so be happy, the hostility is in your mind not mine

G

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
When you are a dealer , your success comes from how you handle problems, with any used item , you have a chance there will be problems , you cant strip every vehicle to its last nut and bolt , all you can do is a pre determined check list , that tells you what you need at the point you buy it in , if its used , or if its new , your trust in the manufacturer.

If you buy from a dealer , you are buying from someone with a business and a reputation , and a legal obligation, you buy private , you take the chance that its a lemon, sold as seen , but the price difference between the two is why you take the risk

If you buy through the broker , and you get issues, who pays?? . Do you go back to the original owner, who would be off the hook already if it was a private sale, or does the broker foot the bill?

For me , you buy where there is a clear definition, buy private and cheap , or from a dealer and pay for the peace of mind, anything else is a grey area that i cant see the point of.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My very limited experience with Motorhome Depot was positive.

I saw a Hymer that I liked, but it was in Glasgow (quite a way for me to go). Looked good in the pictures on the advert and the price was keen. When I rang Motorhome Depot the guy was very straightforward and volunteered straight away that it was at a good price as it was an ex-hire van, and that before travelling to see it would I like some more pictures as it had some cosmetic damage.

I was emailed about 40 close up pictures of the van, showing lots of bumps, marks and scrapes - clearly it had been a hire van for a long time and had had a hard life. Full marks to the chap from MHD though for being upfront with me about that on the phone and saving me a long trip - I wouldn't have been at all pleased if I'd trekked all the way to see it to find the problems.

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
No you still don't get it do you
The motor homes that had all the problems were crap motor homes
the dealers who sold crap motor homes, are crap dealers, even if they did fix em, they should not have been any problems in the first place
dealers who sell Brand New motor homes with problems are especially crap dealers
People who buy new and expect no problems are usually deluding only themselves,
you are getting the benefit, want it or not, the views and experience of a trader and you call me Hostile.
If I took £30K plus off you and sold you a van with loads of faults Im a good guy right?
There is something fundamentally wrong with your logic or thought processes
PS. That also is not hostile
Its my opinion of the way your thinking that's all it is, and not every one will agree,
so be happy, the hostility is in your mind not mine

G
That's me told innit

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I had some dealings with Motorhome Depot with a view to selling through them. I didn't because they wanted an exclusive deal for three months. You should bear in mind that you are dealing with a franchise agent, not a dealer, and the franchise holder you are dealing with is probably an individual or a one-man band company.

The potential benefit to the seller is a wider market because Motorhome Depot can handle part exchange and finance as well as fielding enquiries from adverts, etc. The agent then takes a slice of the purchase price, handing the rest on to the seller. I might be wrong, but I don't think there is any consumer protection or after sales service because I believe the sale is still a private transaction. The seller has the final say about accepting offers, etc. To me it seems the same as estate agents for property.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back