MPG and Fuel Gauge Bessacar E425 (1 Viewer)

fellmaster

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Funster No
Exp
I am relatively new to motorhoming and I have a 2003 E425 on a 2L Fiat JTD .

After the first trip it was clear it was under-powered after trawling the net for adviceI had it remapped . I have been happy with the results -more torque and an all round better drive etc

On the last trip I very nearly run out of fuel on the M6 luckily only about 100 from the services. The fuel gauge was showing just below 1/4 full. Does anyone know if this a known fault and how to rectify ?

Because of the gauge I am struggling to workout my MPG but its an 80ltr and based on half a tank it looks like I am only getting about 21/23 mpg

Apart from the obvious lifting the lead foot has anyone any tips for MPG
Thanks
Fell

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am relatively new to motorhoming and I have a 2003 E425 on a 2L Fiat JTD .

After the first trip it was clear it was under-powered after trawling the net for adviceI had it remapped . I have been happy with the results -more torque and an all round better drive etc

On the last trip I very nearly run out of fuel on the M6 luckily only about 100 from the services. The fuel gauge was showing just below 1/4 full. Does anyone know if this a known fault and how to rectify ?

Because of the gauge I am struggling to workout my MPG but its an 80ltr and based on half a tank it looks like I am only getting about 21/23 mpg

Apart from the obvious lifting the lead foot has anyone any tips for MPG
Thanks
Fell

We have exactly the same motor, also flashed because it was useless as standard.

I can run on zero for a good while.

We get 25mpg if going a bit quicker than the HGVs and no more, I got it down to 20 using all the extra power.

The only way to get a good mpg calculation is a few full to the brim top ups, but it looks like you'll mirror what we have over the last 2 years.

You may have a faulty gauge or sender - I stumbled across the sender in a "what is that panel in the floor on the passenger side" moment. You may be able to get it out and adjust it - this was possible in The Olde Dayes. Anyway, as long as you know, it's not the end of the world - errrr, how did you know you were *nearly* out of fuel ?

OP
OP
fellmaster

fellmaster

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Funster No
Exp
We have exactly the same motor, also flashed because it was useless as standard.

I can run on zero for a good while.

We get 25mpg if going a bit quicker than the HGVs and no more, I got it down to 20 using all the extra power.

The only way to get a good mpg calculation is a few full to the brim top ups, but it looks like you'll mirror what we have over the last 2 years.

You may have a faulty gauge or sender - I stumbled across the sender in a "what is that panel in the floor on the passenger side" moment. You may be able to get it out and adjust it - this was possible in The Olde Dayes. Anyway, as long as you know, it's not the end of the world - errrr, how did you know you were *nearly* out of fuel ?

Cause it chugged then powered down on to the HS just 100 metres from the services slip road- I managed to limp it in to the gas station then it took 80 litres to fill it

As I said my luck was in that day (it also carried on to cartmel races!)

After that no problem. when I do run a now I just tank up 40 ltrs from 1/2 full so its not that big an issue but annoying none the less

I have a few other niggles The loo indicator now does not light/show up to indicate the thetford cassette is full - now that is an annoyance :ROFLMAO:- i checked the wiring next to the cassette sensor and it "looks okay" so any ideas on that one would be appreciated

I got more questions and observation on the 425 -
for instance other than the clipsal plug theres no extra 12 volt cig socket in the back for peripherals etc if there is I cant find it! (looking to use an inverter without stretching an extension lead from the dashboard )

even on light use (no shower) I am lucky to get two days out of a full water tank ,amazing how much water you get tro just on brew and loo -unless that control panel gauge is faulty as well

cheers
fell
PS Is this the right forum for model specfic chat/info ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
G

Guy

Deleted User
For toilet - never trust the level sensor - visually check level against slide plate.
For water - Drive with tank 1/4 full and fill up when you pitch. - better for fuel economy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cause it chugged then powered down on to the HS just 100 metres from the services slip road- I managed to limp it in to the gas station then it took 80 litres to fill it

I have a few other niggles The loo indicator now does not light/show up to indicate the thetford cassette is full - now that is an annoyance

even on light use (no shower) I am lucky to get two days out of a full water tank ,amazing how much water you get tro just on brew and loo -unless that control panel gauge is faulty as well

cheers
fell

80l to fill - I thought of the possibility of dirty fuel.

Yeuch - using the loo indicator - you like pushing the limits - I don't even know if ours works, I don't like staggering around with a tank full of sludge. Now is this connected to your high water usage. If you open the flap first then little water is needed because the faeces drop straight down.

Mind you, I have no idea how big your tank is. Ours would last a week with no showers. We always use a couple of 5l plastic cans for drinking water. The height gauges a notoriously crap cheap nasty things. Living in a MH is an exercise in being frugal and realising it is not a normal home, equally important with electricity.

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
We empty our loo at least every other day if not daily, for the weight and the heygine side, I do not know how many litres our water tank is but I think it might be the same as both are swift, it is under the rear facing dinette seat, but we can easily get three or four days out of it although if there is a lot of dirty pots her in doors will wash at the site facilities just to save all the dirt and bits going in the waste tank, you just have to be aware of how much you use e.g. turn tap off and on when brushing teeth e.t.c

it is frightening when you think how much water we use at home with out really thinking about it!

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
We have a 425 on an 04 with the 2.3 litre which I have upgraded with a Bobbox tuning box. We have just done 2500 miles in 10 days touring France with the cruise control set at 65mph on motorways and returned 27 mpg for the whole trip.

When were in France we always travel with a full fresh water tank but empty the waste before leaving any site or aire, this way we can stop where we want without having to find water. We can always manage 3 showers sometimes 4, plus drinking and washing up from a full tank. Do you stop filling when the guage reads full or when the filler neck over flows? there is quite a difference between the 2.

As for the 12v socket, you can buy or make up a 2 pin to cigarette socket with a bit of 2 core wire. It is only a low amp output though, if its a 12v hair dryer your running, best to use the socket on the dash.

Stu

OP
OP
fellmaster

fellmaster

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Funster No
Exp
We have a 425 on an 04 with the 2.3 litre which I have upgraded with a Bobbox tuning box. We have just done 2500 miles in 10 days touring France with the cruise control set at 65mph on motorways and returned 27 mpg for the whole trip.

When were in France we always travel with a full fresh water tank but empty the waste before leaving any site or aire, this way we can stop where we want without having to find water. We can always manage 3 showers sometimes 4, plus drinking and washing up from a full tank. Do you stop filling when the guage reads full or when the filler neck over flows? there is quite a difference between the 2.

As for the 12v socket, you can buy or make up a 2 pin to cigarette socket with a bit of 2 core wire. It is only a low amp output though, if its a 12v hair dryer your running, best to use the socket on the dash.

Stu

Stu
Cruise control on an 04 425 ?? Didnt think there were on as standard-have you retro fit it ? if so could you give me details on price make model etc
cheers
fell

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
Its a kit that I retro fitted. I bought it from Leisuretech who are local to me, but I also think Dave Newel does the same kit. I did a search on here before buying and it seems to have good reviews.

I paid £350 for the kit, then as mentioned fit it myself, I think Dave would have supplied and fit it for that price, but I run my own business and simply don't have time to take the motor to someone and either wait, or go back to collect, so I did the job one saturday afternoon.

The kit has a short stalk that I fit on the left hand side just above the indicator stalk, it works very well indeed, and made our recent trip round France even more pleasurable.

Stu

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Stu

Well I am Highly delighted in fact I am over the moon .......I have just done 2125 km...France-Luxemburg-Germany-France have and recorded 30.5 miles to the gallon van weighs about 3.75 tons and I have a heavy foot but most of the time I use the cruise control retro fit ...fitted by Dave Newell .......I used to get around 28 to 29 miles to the gallon before the cruise was fitted ...but I read somewhere they used more fuel when on cruise !!!??????.....the only thing wrong is the model I have---- is the Fiat 130 mutijet fantastic going forward and fast, and climbs up hills like on the flat....BUT bl---y awful in reverse its no good (it judders) shame Fiat did not sort it out...or it would be a smashing motor..lovely to drive.......................Mel in France

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well I am Highly delighted in fact I am over the moon .......I have just done 2125 km...France-Luxemburg-Germany-France have and recorded 30.5 miles to the gallon van weighs about 3.75 tons and I have a heavy foot but most of the time I use the cruise control retro fit ...fitted by Dave Newell .......I used to get around 28 to 29 miles to the gallon before the cruise was fitted ...but I read somewhere they used more fuel when on cruise !!!??????.....the only thing wrong is the model I have---- is the Fiat 130 mutijet fantastic going forward and fast, and climbs up hills like on the flat....BUT bl---y awful in reverse its no good (it judders) shame Fiat did not sort it out...or it would be a smashing motor..lovely to drive.......................Mel in France

I had forgotten to put in the above comment, that is running the motorhome with a diesel tank full to the brim to half empty then refill everytime.....full tank of clean water always....grey water tank and w/c empty, thats sticking to 100km on motorways, 90km normal roads and 50km in villages, which you can with the cruise control, and that seems to leave lots of power left in hand if needed (and me and the wife and two choc Labradors are not tiny!).
looking at some funsters MPG all I can say I am very very lucky...............Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back