Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi All,

I would like to fit an an inverter, 1000w, is there any info on this kicking around that would help me out? Wiring sizes, connections etc?

Thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would fit 25mm battery leads or the biggest size that will fit into your inverter.
I also fitted an isolator switch as I only power up the inverter in the evenings to watch TV. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORSPOR...hash=item1c6926317f:m:mugIpYLFH2NLKz5ruF_f-ww
I installed specific sockets to only the TV ect. only powered by the inverter. Leaving all the existing sockets for when you are on hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have you decide what you want to run off the inverter, do you want all your 240 sockets and appliances to run (excluding battery charger) or just a couple of dedicated ones.

On the 12 volt side 25mm squared should be OK, keep the cable run to a minimum and make sure the fuses are big enough, i would say that unless the inverter is easy to get at make sure you get a remote start/stop.

Martin

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Have you decide what you want to run off the inverter, do you want all your 240 sockets and appliances to run (excluding battery charger) or just a couple of dedicated ones.

On the 12 volt side 25mm squared should be OK, keep the cable run to a minimum and make sure the fuses are big enough, i would say that unless the inverter is easy to get at make sure you get a remote start/stop.

Martin
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking it would be good to power all the sockets although I won't need them all, just a bit neater not having cables over the floor. Is it a remote control start?

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
I would fit 25mm battery leads or the biggest size that will fit into your inverter.
I also fitted an isolator switch as I only power up the inverter in the evenings to watch TV. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORSPOR...hash=item1c6926317f:m:mugIpYLFH2NLKz5ruF_f-ww
I installed specific sockets to only the TV ect. only powered by the inverter. Leaving all the existing sockets for when you are on hook up.
Yes that would be a good idea, thanks for the information. Thinking just tv At night, wife's straighteners during the day And microwave occasionally.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes that would be a good idea, thanks for the information. Thinking just tv At night, wife's straighteners during the day And microwave occasionally.
I think as soon as you say straighteners (hair I guess) I would say go pure sine wave inverter.

Martin

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
And microwave occasionally.

Powering the micro wave could be a problem with only a 1000W inverter. Many take 1200W

What is the wattage of the hair straighteners?

A 1000W is the best part of 100A!

Best advice is to avoid anything with elements on inverters

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Powering the micro wave could be a problem with only a 1000W inverter. Many take 1200W

What is the wattage of the hair straighteners?

A 1000W is the best part of 100A!

Best advice is to avoid anything with elements on inverters
First thoughts are: straighteners 120w, micro 600w. They won't be on at the same time TV will be 12v

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
First thoughts are: straighteners 120w, micro 600w. They won't be on at the same time TV will be 12v
Read that trying to choose the right size is important so trying to keep size low without compromising what's going to use it.1200 would do too just trying to keep it small as practical but open to advice. Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quoted post abbreviated.
Good point(y) just go for 2kw straight away, and then bump up the cable size as well, our 2kw runs on 50 mm square that equates to around 10 mm diameter.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do you need an inverter at all?
If the main requirement is for hair straighteners, why not consider a gas powered pair?
Saves battery power for your 12v TV
Also I think a microwave would soon flatten your battery.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you need an inverter at all?
If the main requirement is for hair straighteners, why not consider a gas powered pair?
Saves battery power for your 12v TV
Also I think a microwave would soon flatten your battery.
Two good 110ah batteries will cope OK, you tend not to run a microwave for long so although the demand for amps is quite high but as it doesn't last for long the overall consumption is relatively low, a couple of solar panels can have it all back up sun permitting.

I did say good batteries though.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back