France, better late than never.. (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Arriving 2 hours late for our Euro tunnel crossing wasn't the best ever start to our latest French jaunt but by asking at the customer services desk nicely, we were put onto the next train leaving in 10 minutes. Mr Mousy very happy that I had been denied the chance to do some "duty free" shopping.

We arrived at La Touquet Paris Plage, almost midnight but only just getting dark! We awoke to this..

image.jpeg

Grabbing the bikes we went off exploring, a great cycle track took us along the bay to..

image.jpeg

... a French Weston-Super-Mare but sans donkeys...and people!

Mr Mousy fancied a coffee and croissant so being in the lead headed off up a street, you can imagine his dismay when we spotted this..

image.jpeg

He came to a sudden stop whilst my little legs peddling the fastest ever swept past him. A market! Open! And FULL of stuff I could buy!

image.jpeg

From wonderfully fresh fish and shellfish

image.jpeg

To huge chunks of nougat

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All sorts of baskets

image.jpeg

Specially long brushes for Le camping car

image.jpeg

To my favourite...cheeses

So what did I buy? Accidentally a kilo of cherries at €5.90. I was after 2 nectarines but something got lost in translation, a perfect start to our first morning in France.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello you two mice! Lovely humorous start to your French jaunt!!
A market that was open I'd have been there too! No cheese bought ? Are you ill!;)
Enjoy!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Anthea, not ill, but the market was so big we decided to pick up the essential supplies of at lease 4 different new cheeses on the way back but of course after an hour of wondering around we had forgotten :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
That's the way to start a French trip.(y)
And it ain't a proper French market without a good basket stall.:rolleyes:
Fish, cheese superb but that is the first time I have seen the likes of those brushes.o_O
Thanks a lot. Look forward to the next chapter.:)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We had no real set plans of where to go, we both wanted sunshine and a peaceful, restful holiday. I'd been watching the weather and it was looking mixed even down to the il de re. We are hoping to go there in September with @cliffandger so we decided to take a gamble and stay in Normandy. Brittany beckoned but only if Mr Mousy fancied a longer drive.

We set off to the aire at Le Crotoy, feeling peckish as it was lunch time and knowing we could have a fantastic seafood lunch there.

The aire was very busy but we went right up to the end and were happy to park here..

image.jpeg

Yummy..
image.jpeg

We cycled off a lovely lunch and found the beach..

image.jpeg

After loosing my lovely Scottish terrorist "Ruby" last year I've resisted the temptation so far to get another dog, however, this little beauty nearly got dognapped, a lack of panniers only made me hesitate. Oh and Mr Mousys "step away from the dog...it looks rabid". :eek:

image.jpeg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oooh - the market in Le Touguet is still just as huge then, brill!

Lovely to see one still that popular, so many have dwindled over only a few years.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I accidentally stumbled across that market too about 5 yrs ago, it's a great place to shop...(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening you two, looking like a good trip already, just relayed the first tale to Bev with the market photos, her take on it was that had you bought a 'necessary' basket you could have filled as you went rather than coming back later (y):)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank goodness you posted - I was just about to get in the van and come looking for you! The photos are brilliant, and you seem to be having a good time. I'm glad you haven't travelled far - It must be nice to slowly amble down to Le Crotoy!

Those mops look brill - did you manage to hide one up your jumper - I can't believe Martin didn't think his life was complete without one of those!

Carry on having a lovely time - you are missing a lot of post referendum 'fall out' here, so make the most of it while you can!

Looking forward to the next chapter. xx :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank goodness you posted - I was just about to get in the van and come looking for you! The photos are brilliant, and you seem to be having a good time. I'm glad you haven't travelled far - It must be nice to slowly amble down to Le Crotoy!

Those mops look brill - did you manage to hide one up your jumper - I can't believe Martin didn't think his life was complete without one of those!

Carry on having a lovely time - you are missing a lot of post referendum 'fall out' here, so make the most of it while you can!

Looking forward to the next chapter. xx :)

Don't mention that bloody place to me:eek:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David, Martin "conveniently" was carrying the bag with our money in it and kept walking ahead...I didn't stand a chance.

Ger, I was very tempted by the brushes, you can imagine his response! We've been watching the news, haven't been subjected to any anti British hate...yet....

Phil, we laid in bed at Le Crotoy in a thunder storm and thought of you! But neither of us could remember what we were supposed to switch off or do in case of a lightning strike :eek: luckily we woke up to sunshine.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I really miss shopping in the French markets. Buying fruit and veg in a UK supermarket seems so wrong--- soulless places.
Great pictures--- thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Sunday we travelled our longest distance to Honfleur.

image.jpeg

As you can see the weather was iffy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Although pretty it was heaving with people, the large aire busy and noisy. After a walk around the back streets we jumped back into the van and moved on.

image.jpeg

View from the door at Beuvron En Auge aire no71 (all the Aires).

This was more up our street, quiet, peaceful in a beautiful village.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The local area is known for its cider, apple juice, cream and cheese.

image.jpeg

We had a really excellent meal here of homemade pate, steak cooked on an open wood fire with daphonoise potatoes green beans followed with cheese and a local milky and apricot pudding. Sorry no pictures we were famished and had tucked in before we even thought of you lot...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We have just left John o' Groats and headed west towards Thurso and pulled over for food looking out over Hoy and Orkney we've had fabulous weather, it is Scotland after all. Enjoying your thread Dawn, thanks. Jackie and Griff

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had no real set plans of where to go, we both wanted sunshine and a peaceful, restful holiday. I'd been watching the weather and it was looking mixed even down to the il de re. We are hoping to go there in September with @cliffandger so we decided to take a gamble and stay in Normandy. Brittany beckoned but only if Mr Mousy fancied a longer drive.

We set off to the aire at Le Crotoy, feeling peckish as it was lunch time and knowing we could have a fantastic seafood lunch there.

The aire was very busy but we went right up to the end and were happy to park here..

View attachment 112980

Yummy..
View attachment 112989

We cycled off a lovely lunch and found the beach..

View attachment 112990

After loosing my lovely Scottish terrorist "Ruby" last year I've resisted the temptation so far to get another dog, however, this little beauty nearly got dognapped, a lack of panniers only made me hesitate. Oh and Mr Mousys "step away from the dog...it looks rabid". :eek:

View attachment 112992
We were wondering if Oysters would be in season now, as there is no R in the month.
Did they taste the same as normal?

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Love your blogs ! Light relief of football and referendum fall outs Thanks for taking the time to post.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We were wondering if Oysters would be in season now, as there is no R in the month.
Did they taste the same as normal?

We've had them a few times this week Robert and they've all tasted wonderful. We saw in one market 3 different types for sale, the ones we had in Le crotoy were huge and full of flavour, just like a mouthful of the sea!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've had them a few times this week Robert and they've all tasted wonderful. We saw in one market 3 different types for sale, the ones we had in Le crotoy were huge and full of flavour, just like a mouthful of the sea!
Mrs C was hoping to stop off in Oleron on the way back from Portugal - no excuse not to now.
The simple pleasures in life are the best

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Love your blogs ! Light relief of football and referendum fall outs Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thank you. We've been watching the football but as Welsh rugby fans, I find it slightly boring. We will cheer Wales on tomorrow though. As to British politics we've been vaguely keeping up with the news and highlights, not a lot going on really:whistle:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
After all those Oysters how do you have time for TV :LOL:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Great photos - we will be doing the same route from Belgium down to Britanny in 2 weeks time and Le Touquet and Le Crotoy are just some of the Aires on our stop over list.
What day is the market on?
May need to drive on by that day as I know someone who'll want to visit!
Enjoy.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have been slightly perplexed at finding most of France shut, not sure if Monday was a bank holiday but we found a huge supermarket with lots of cars outside but doors locked and lights off. If it wasn't for the fact we are having to eat into our Moho emergency food supplies (aldi chickpea curry 2 years out of date anyone?) I'd be suspicious that Martin was ringing ahead!

We are used to nothing being open between 12 - 2 but we can't work it out. I keep wondering if we are too early, Martin reckons by about a month.

Anyway we went to Cambremer, I can confess whilst juggling all the Aires book, map, camper contact and the lonely planet guide I thought we were going to Camembert :eek: we were in search of cheese. Luckily Martin didn't notice and was happy to go with the flow.

We pulled into the aire but a lady came and explained that the Carpark was being resurfaced but we could go up the road and park at the football ground.

image.jpeg

We were happy here as we could get our chairs out and enjoy the sunshine. Again a cycle down the hill to the village revealed shops and restaurants....all shut. Coming back we stumbled upon a sign which we think said the most beautiful garden in France. Not sure about that, but it was the perfect place to spend the afternoon. €8 each to get in, we must have sat on every bench or seat they had.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

These pictures don't really do it justice, it was so peaceful, we almost had the whole gardens to ourselves. The owners bought a meadow in 1994 and this is what they have made since. Any old falling down buildings in the area were transported in pieces and rebuilt in the garden.

Next door was a cider distillery, unfortunately we had missed the English speaking tour but we tried some calvados and Pommel. Bike bags bulging with cider and apple juice we slowly cycled up the hill home.

We'd recommend a trip to Cambremer, you might not find any cheese but there is a garden that feeds your soul. A most enjoyable day.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Great photos - we will be doing the same route from Belgium down to Britanny in 2 weeks time and Le Touquet and Le Crotoy are just some of the Aires on our stop over list.
What day is the market on?
May need to drive on by that day as I know someone who'll want to visit!
Enjoy.

It was on Saturday. If you've got bikes it's a lovely cycle around the headland to the beach. Go along the beach about half way and turn up into the town, it's massive you can't miss it.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dawn, as far as I know french village/town shops seem to close on a Sunday AND Monday. We've wandered round many a town on a rainy Monday with nothing open! Almost as depressing as a west Sunday in France with nothing open!

Photos are as usual lovely - that garden looks beautiful.

Martin looks really relaxed - must be because there is no market in sight!

Keep posting, and enjoy the rest of your holiday. xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely photos! And Mr Mousy looks happy ! Is it because France appears shut and so no spending to be done!!?:LOL:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Dawn, as far as I know french village/town shops seem to close on a Sunday AND Monday. We've wandered round many a town on a rainy Monday with nothing open! Almost as depressing as a west Sunday in France with nothing open!

Photos are as usual lovely - that garden looks beautiful.

Martin looks really relaxed - must be because there is no market in sight!

Keep posting, and enjoy the rest of your holiday. xx

He so relaxed cos he's spent a lot of this holiday horizontal. :france:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've found that a lot of France has Monday as their closed day

Hi Helen, yes we've found that too but we didn't find a supermarket open til Wednesday! We've spent the last few days on the coast and it's all just dead. Not sure if it's because of the time of year or the weather not being great. But it's all abit tres desolate.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Your pictures making us wish it was September and we were at Twin Lakes. Have a great holiday. Keep Posting. Safe travels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back