Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I want to change my leisure battery, is it OK to just take the old one out and connect the new one? Or have I to cover the solar panel to stop it charging whilst I change it?

As you can see....I know niffin about electric so I would appreciate help as I dont want to "Blow" anything.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Regulator has two wires from battery and two wires from solar panel. How much simpler can it be. Have a look at it it should become obvious.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Regulator has two wires from battery and two wires from solar panel. How much simpler can it be. Have a look at it it should become obvious.

Thank you again for your reply. Oh that I wasn't so thick, I apologize solar +ve meant the 2 wires from solar panel. How much simpler could it be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No it just means the +ve rather than both +ve & -ve

A benefit of that is that if you only disconnect one wire you cannot reconnect them the wrong way around. Or if there is a fuse in the solar cable pull that instead.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Billy, the +ve in simple language is the positive cable (usually red outer covering) that goes into your solar regulator from your solar panel(s). You only need to dsconnect that one.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Billy, the +ve in simple language is the positive cable (usually red outer covering) that goes into your solar regulator from your solar panel(s). You only need to dsconnect that one.

OH! Right, thanks for that, the last VE I saw was when I was a kid, something to do with Hitler. I feel better now. :)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Both the wires from the panel will probably be black, but the two slots on the controller they go to should be marked +ve & -ve or just + & -.
+ or +ve is short for positive
- or -ve is short for negative

The wires that run from the controller to the battery are more likely to be red & black (in a UK van) but can be brown & blue. The battery itself should be clearly marked.

When changing the battery, disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Then when reconnecting, positive first & finally the negative. Less chance of a dropped spanner causing a big flash. :Eeek:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Both the wires from the panel will probably be black, but the two slots on the controller they go to should be marked +ve & -ve or just + & -.

The wires that run from the controller to the battery are more likely to be red & black (in a UK van) but can be brown & blue. The battery itself should be clearly marked.

When changing the battery, disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Then when reconnecting, positive first & finally the negative. Less chance of a dropped spanner causing a big flash. :Eeek:
Yes thanks @TheCaller for clarifiying, that. My solar cables had to be extended so black and red cables were used to complete the connections.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Very very informative thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back