filling water tank (1 Viewer)

DaveandChris

Free Member
Sep 7, 2009
Funster No
hi everyone,just been on a couple of practice runs and got settled on our pitch we were'nt close enough to the water point so had to fill our tank up with a watering can is there any way around this its or are we being daft

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Dave and Chris, we always carry about 30 ft of water hose and also a dedicated 5gal water container with spout which we can use to top up in emergencies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A roll flat hose is very handy doesn't take up too much space, but reaches the parts that shorter hoses fail to satisfy. :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DaveandChris

Free Member
Sep 7, 2009
Funster No
thanks we do have a hose obviously not long enough we did feel preety stupied traipsing back and forth well dave did thats his job:roflmto:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van has a Euro socket (similar to cigar lighter socket) on the side and came with a submersible pump. We have a 25 litre plastic jerry can and a lightweight trolley to transport it when full. Simple job to pump the water from jerry can to tank. For a van without a socket like ours a similar arrangement could be set up to use a 12 volt socket in the van.

Graham

Upvote 0

rogerangie

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
hose

OOOOerh.. We are getting complicated now.
Flat roll up hose on container with connections.
Addaptors to fit various taps. B&Q.
Job done!:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
hi everyone,just been on a couple of practice runs and got settled on our pitch we were'nt close enough to the water point so had to fill our tank up with a watering can is there any way around this its or are we being daft

You're certainly not being daft. Many people use the method that you tried, to top up their water tank. Hoses are very useful, but they do add to your payload.

As you have just started motorhoming, it will be very tempting to keep adding to your onboard equipment, but my advice would be to think very carefully about this.
I don't carry anything that I can manage without. Like many others, I've learnt the hard way.

Topping up with water on a regular basis might seem like a chore, but you will be assured of a fresher supply and also get a little exercise at the same time.

Mick H.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DaveandChris

Free Member
Sep 7, 2009
Funster No
thank you all sound advice,another one if you dont mind does the hot water tank fill up first,i worry there's not enough water in there and were going to blow up:Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thank you all sound advice,another one if you dont mind does the hot water tank fill up first,i worry there's not enough water in there and were going to blow up:Eeek:

once you've put sufficient water in the tank just turn on the pump, open a hot tap and wait for the spluttering to stop.
you're boiler is then full and can be turned on.:thumb:

Upvote 0

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
Our van has a Euro socket (similar to cigar lighter socket) on the side and came with a submersible pump. We have a 25 litre plastic jerry can and a lightweight trolley to transport it when full. Simple job to pump the water from jerry can to tank. For a van without a socket like ours a similar arrangement could be set up to use a 12 volt socket in the van.

Graham
Yes, I do that - easy peasy.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Graham

same here Graham but the one and only time i've used it i found the pump wouldnt fit through the container neck....:Doh::cry::ROFLMAO:

so off with the dinnette seat, unscrew the tank inspection cover and pour it in through there....never again:Angry:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you need is a 2litre lemonade bottle with the side cut out .with practice its easy to tip a 10 litre container in the side filla .or become french old person and spend most of the day walking the watering can.

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Feeling stupid

thanks we do have a hose obviously not long enough we did feel preety stupied traipsing back and forth well dave did thats his job:roflmto:

Wondered why you felt stupid?? Must be very sensitive.:RollEyes: I always fill my van by placing an elbow joint for a drain pipe in the filler hole and fill 2x 10 litre cans and pour them into the tank. I certainly don't feel stupid (Knackjered sometimes):Eeek:

Upvote 0

Lloydie

Free Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 months
Have to agree with geoff, I use the watering can method and carry the 25ltr waste container to the emptying point.

Always amazed at the number of able bodied men phaffing around with hose pipes or using things on wheels to transport a few litres of water around the site.

Go on Dave, continue as you are with the watering can - you don't have to feel daft just because the typical stereotype on site can't or won't carry anything heavier than a tinnie.

Lloyd.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have to agree with geoff, I use the watering can method and carry the 25ltr waste container to the emptying point.

Always amazed at the number of able bodied men phaffing around with hose pipes or using things on wheels to transport a few litres of water around the site.

Go on Dave, continue as you are with the watering can - you don't have to feel daft just because the typical stereotype on site can't or won't carry anything heavier than a tinnie.

Lloyd.

thats no way to relax on holiday, lugging 25kilos of water upto 4 times to fill up.
that pleasure is reseved for tuggers:Doh:

dont need to lift 'tinnies' it comes out my taps...i dont have a water tank...i have a keg.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Plenty of grounds have just one tap for the whole place and often it doesn't have a threaded spout either.

Watering can always works and the exercise is good for you too.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Oh No! Not the watering can debate again!!!!

I often find that by driving the van up to the tap, my hose then reaches and I can just fill it with that. :ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
47 years of wild camping and I have always used a watering can. The only time I use a hose is at home on the day we leave to 3/4 fill the tank. I top up every day, 2 watering cans =20 litres. Very occassionaly I top up with 3/4 cans as I have skipped 1 day. From tap to MH is never more than 10/15 metres. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We have never used a watering can (yet!!!!) However on our second trip and when we went to fill up with water, we, (or rather Howie) left the cab window open on the drivers side of the MH. We were busy trying to connect the hose to the tap and keep the end in the water tank when we were suddenly aware of a small dog running around the van. Thinking that our two were safely inside we did not pay much attention until we suddenly discovered that Maeve had jumped out the window had had come to help!

Luckily it was a quiet campsite and she was not in danger of getting run over! Needless to say we are now more aware of where the dogs can escape from the van!:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back