dog doesn't like trailer on bike (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We have bought a trailer for the bike to put our dog in but he won't go in! When we did get him in and attached him with a lead, he jumped out and was hanging out of the trailer. Clearly he doesn't like it. We have now taken wheels off and leaving it in the room he sleeps in next to the kitchen and coaxing him in with bit of cheese etc. The question is, will we ever get him in it with the wheels on and attached to the bike? Has anyone else had to train their dog up to use the trailer? Any tips most welcome. We go away next week and were hoping to use this rather than leave him in the motorhome. He is 2 and a half and a working cocker spaniel.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we have a full harness on each of our three dogs,they are then clipped in to the trailer ,unfortunately i dont have any advice on how to encourage a dog to stay in the trailer as our three all seem to enjoy it , we often get asked by people if they can take photographs of our dogs on the trailer

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have 2 dogs they did take some time getting to use the trailer, now when off road they run for a bit then get in in. They are happy with now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
We bought a 'mule' open trailer and our collie did the same so then bought a dog trailer online like those used for young children . We put a bed in the bottom and zipped him in, plenty of vents for air and to look out. Wheels come off quick and all folds to about 8" thick, it was about £60 just look up dog trailers.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You could try fastening the dog in the trailer ,both sides and just pull him around the garden to start with then take him down the road until he settles,Don't forget to give him some treats, it could take a few days when he calms down try again and just walk the bike ,you may have to be patient .Take your trailer with you when you go away and keep at it.lol

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We've had a Doggyride for a couple of years. The dog hated it to start with; howled, barked, kicked and generally made a fuss, and would rather run 10 miles than travel in it. However, he gradually settled into a grudging acceptance and now hops into it without too much fuss. We use it in Croatia in particular, to do a 3 or 4 mile trip from a town to the sea, across very dusty offroad tracks, and he may realise that travelling in the trailer is better than running along breathing dust.

Good luck!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
After some time with ours, the Cocker isn't keen, the Border accepts it but on occasion jumps out and the Irish takes it in his stride and even sleeps in there when we leave it around.

I think each dog is different with them and all will take some time to get used to them. I'm not too keen on having a dog all tied up in a trailer that clearly doesn't want to be there but that vs some times you have no choice to get around town etc. In those scenarios I tend to think a covered trailer is better.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We bought a 'mule' open trailer and our collie did the same so then bought a dog trailer online like those used for young children . We put a bed in the bottom and zipped him in, plenty of vents for air and to look out. Wheels come off quick and all folds to about 8" thick, it was about £60 just look up dog trailers.
I know Collies are super-intelligent but ........................................ really? ;):D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I know Collies are super-intelligent but ........................................ really? ;):D
Oi watch it buster!
PSX_20150828_123414.jpg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In an earlier life the family had a dog... it came fitted with legs... one at each corner.

It developed a technique of stretching and retracting these things in such a way that it was able to move from one place to another all on its own.

Someone told me it was called walking.

JJ :cool:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That reminds me of a patient of mine who moved to the UK from Zimbabwe, he was teasing me because I did the Moonwalk a couple of times for breast cancer research, he said he couldn't understand the idea that walking was a form of exercise, at home it was a mode of transport!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
In an earlier life the family had a dog... it came fitted with legs... one at each corner.

It developed a technique of stretching and retracting these things in such a way that it was able to move from one place to another all on its own.

I think we've done that discussion a few times @JJ ;) horses for courses, or in this case dogs for trailers.

Karen

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Yes, our dog originally came fitted like this, but sadly, now only has a leg fitted on three corners. That's why we bought a trailer - he can manage about three miles of running, but no more. We still haven't found a way of getting him to travel in the trailer, though!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not knocking the dog trailer combo, I have never tried it, but I struggle to understand the need for it, where do you take the dog on bike/trailer where you can't walk or drive the motor home, park and then walk, just curious :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We find our dogs good for ten to fifteen miles with a few breaks depending on weather and terrain when we go off on the bikes, but running all the time on mostly tarmac cycle paths can take it's toll on their pads, so the trailer gives them a rest and lets us all visit places further from our pitch, including taking them across town to find a park for them to run in.
Going back to acclimatising your dog to the trailer, you need to start from the beginning and take plenty of time over it. Put the trailer in a room in the house that the dog uses a lot and with the wheels off, chock the trailer steady with some books or similar to make sure it doesn't rock on the axle fixings, put the occasional treat in there and a favourite bed and then just leave them to work it out. Once they're comfortable with that, then a few short goes around the garden, as smoothly as possible and build it up from there. Most dogs won't have a problem with being enclosed in the trailer but they don't like standing on something that isn't fixed or steady.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Useful tips, there @jockaneezer I'll give that a try. I think it's the lack of stability which worries him, so letting him get used to it without the wheels seems to be a good suggestion.(y)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
:whistle:
You could try fastening the dog in the trailer ,both sides and just pull him around the garden to start with then take him down the road until he settles,Don't forget to give him some treats, it could take a few days when he calms down try again and just walk the bike ,you may have to be patient .Take your trailer with you when you go away and keep at it.lol

We thought about it Harry, but can you see Scooter putting up with it.:swear2:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think it is important when in a trailer the dog must wear an harness which can be fastened from both side and puts no pressure on the dogs neck.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I'm not knocking the dog trailer combo, I have never tried it, but I struggle to understand the need for it, where do you take the dog on bike/trailer where you can't walk or drive the motor home, park and then walk, just curious :)
I haven't got one yet, but am thinking of getting one. My westie is 12yrs and can manage about 2x20 or 30 min walk a day. At my dwindling pace, he is running especially if he stops for a sniff at something. I need a better form of exercise. This seemed the solution rather than leaving him in the van alone or driving us.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Can anyone recommend one for a westie which folds up or pulls apart for storage. I don't have room in my van for much as I only have a mobile. Thanks

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone recommend one for a westie which folds up or pulls apart for storage. I don't have room in my van for much as I only have a mobile. Thanks
How about a basket for the front of the bike

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I haven't got one yet, but am thinking of getting one. My westie is 12yrs and can manage about 2x20 or 30 min walk a day. At my dwindling pace, he is running especially if he stops for a sniff at something. I need a better form of exercise. This seemed the solution rather than leaving him in the van alone or driving us.

I can see the benefits in your situation, I wouldn't do it with a dog of mine particularly if it meant going on main roads, there again I wouldn't exercise a dog whilst riding a bike either.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
How about a basket for the front of the bike
I don't think one will hold him . Being a male he is larger than a female, quite stocky, weighing 12.3 kg. I just can't imagine they would make one big enough . Better for me, if it is possible because I could leave it attached to the bike.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
N
I can see the benefits in your situation, I wouldn't do it with a dog of mine particularly if it meant going on main roads, there again I wouldn't exercise a dog whilst riding a bike either.
I wouldn't be that brave to go on a main road. I was just thinking of along the beach front. In the areas I visit most frequent, Brighton Hove Eastbourne, it's all concreted. I had just started to learn to cycle before I got the dog. And can't cycle with him , he really can't keep up with me at a very slow pace

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think one will hold him . Being a male he is larger than a female, quite stocky, weighing 12.3 kg. I just can't imagine they would make one big enough . Better for me, if it is possible because I could leave it attached to the bike.

I can't do links bit have a look on Amazon, there's quite a few on there, some with Westies in them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back