Upside Down Sockets ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
We have just bought an Ixeo 680 and all of the sockets for plugs are upside down.

Is this right? They say it's not unusual so I am on the hunt to find out why this is?

Any thoughts welcome !!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Was it a southern hemisphere import . . . . . ? :eek:

Seriously - just rotate the socket faces if it's an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our Hobby was the same, 240v sockets in the kitchen area were upside down (its a German thing i think) I spoke to the area manager of Hobby about this and he told me that he is fed up telling them the sockets are upside down but they take on notice... I had to take half the kitchen apart to get at mine before i could turn them round the correct way.

OP
OP
BandB
Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
They are not low, its the kettle plug that annoys me !

Seems an idea to change the fronts but its behind that needs changing too

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suspect it is simply due to the fitters not knowing how UK plugs work, most of Europe uses 2 pins which I think can be fitted either way round

Deleted User
In our Globecar the socket is just below the sink/worksurface and is upside down which actually makes it better for plugging in the kettle and hotplate as the cable exits upwards.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
They are not low, its the kettle plug that annoys me !

Seems an idea to change the fronts but its behind that needs changing too

Exactly the same as in ours, sockets above the hob in the kitchen window were fitted behind a window trim that covered the whole window top to bottom, and the actual sockets themselves were behind the trim so had to remove the lot plus shelving, glass heat proof trims all for the sake of turning two sockets around, the screw cap covers which i had to remove to take the window trim out ended up completely knackered - impossible to remove with damaging so had to order 4 more of those, even though they only cost pence it took 2 months to arrive - and we were part of the EU then :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When I had additional Sockets fitted, the dealer asked the probable use for them and adjusted the direction accordingly. Never thought of anything but up the conventional way. :rolleyes: The first socket was for a charger, where the lead came out of the top, so was fitted straight on, the second was for another charger where the lead came out of the bottom of the plug, but would sit in the garage area so was fitted sideways. The new socket fitted by Vanbitz is sideways for the Skybox to sit in the cupboard.
There was a thread recently where someone had to change theirs from straight because the couldn’t fit conventional plugs one on top of each other.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
It did on our van, to plug anything in that was 240v the lead trailing from the plug was heading towards the roof, not good when ya wanna plug a kettle in for a brew :LOL::LOL:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Would have made the sockets in my Swift much easier to use if they'd been upside down. They were so close to the work surface there wasn't room for the cable. Had to use an adaptor.

OP
OP
BandB
Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
Yes its the kettle socket in the kitchen on full view that is the most annoying. Also a socket in the bathroom.
Neither needed to have been fitted upside down as there is plenty of room for wires.
The more I look at the the more they are bothering me. They look silly.
Also I have looked at other sites with new models and none of theirs are upside down.
The boiler has to go back in to be replaced as they have fitted the wrong one!
Think I will ask them to put them right. The one under the shelf I am not bothered about.
Must be a woman thing. And an OCD issue :)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect it's Europe laughing at the UK again but it does make you wonder why the UK still has those crappy large plugs that can only be used one way around, you'll figure it out one day....

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
On our Burstner Elegance half the sockets were upside down and the rest were correct. It was the same with the light switches - some were on when pushd in at the top the remainder were the opposite way round.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I suspect it's Europe laughing at the UK again but it does make you wonder why the UK still has those crappy large plugs that can only be used one way around, you'll figure it out one day....
Our plugs/sockets are extremely well designed and engineered. Every part of it and every dimension serves a purpose. I got fed up of my French G/F's sockets as they never felt that solid and I was forever disconnecting stuff when I accidentally knocked them.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
most of Europe uses 2 pins which I think can be fitted either way round

France - some 2 pin only for lighting and little electric stuff otherwise plug has 2 pins and a hole for the earth with pin in socket.

Rest of Yoorp - no idea

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
France - some 2 pin only for lighting and little electric stuff otherwise plug has 2 pins and a hole for the earth with pin in socket.

Rest of Yoorp - no idea
Most of the hotels have dangling sockets, new Europe directive - electrocute the Brits :madder:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not socket, but when we bought our van the lightswitch in the bathroom was 'upside down' had some warranty work done, switch now 'right' way up, however, it is at the side of a shelf and it can be switched on by stuff moving in transit, fine if you notice and always remember to switch control panel off, not so good if vn is in storage, thank goodness for solar. Will be changing it again.

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
We have the same MH and it drives me mad, especially the kitchen. When you plug the kettle in it sometimes knocks the light on. I was thinking of asking the dealer to change them all. Why have you got the wrong boiler and how do you know its wrong? Hope you're enjoying the new MH. Gary and Janet X

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Oddly ours are at 90degrees so seem to work OK

OP
OP
BandB
Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
Update, they are changing them around when it goes in for the boiler job.
Nice to hear all your comments, a very friendly site.
MH 55 Fun - I assumed behind the socket would have to be turned upside down not just the front plate.

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
Update, they are changing them around when it goes in for the boiler job.
Nice to hear all your comments, a very friendly site.
MH 55 Fun - I assumed behind the socket would have to be turned upside down not just the front plate.
Hi, who is your dealer? You' re not too far from us in Bury. Just wondering if its the same dealer. Thanks

OP
OP
BandB
Jun 28, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 680G
Exp
Hi, missed a few replies there sorry.
We used Emm Bee this time and have purchased a cancelled order with everything on it we wanted.
The boiler though has no electric, they have fitted a gas boiler instead of a dual one by mistake.
Carpets didn't fit, they were for a different model so we have to wait 6 weeks for a new order to arrive.
Only teething troubles but they obviously haven't checked it all before dispatch have they? !!!
They did know about the boiler though to be fair, they told us about that.
We had a new Elegance 810 for the last year or so and didn't like it.
Nearly broke our neck getting down steps in the middle of the night a few times! Also not much room to swing a cat or hanging space for clothes. Couldn't watch the TV if the grandchildren came with us as the bed took up space over the seats. There is loads more space in the Ixeo and loads better thought out.
What have you got?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Our plugs/sockets are extremely well designed and engineered. Every part of it and every dimension serves a purpose. I got fed up of my French G/F's sockets as they never felt that solid and I was forever disconnecting stuff when I accidentally knocked them.
As opposed to tearing the flex out of the UK ones?;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As opposed to tearing the flex out of the UK ones?;)
The way uk plugs are designed the earth wire will be the last to come free. That is what I meant by well designed :p .

I have never ever experienced a cable being pulled out of a UK plug if it is fitted correctly. I have tripped over a few in my time and it is always me that gets damaged not the plug/socket.

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi, missed a few replies there sorry.
We used Emm Bee this time and have purchased a cancelled order with everything on it we wanted.
The boiler though has no electric, they have fitted a gas boiler instead of a dual one by mistake.
Carpets didn't fit, they were for a different model so we have to wait 6 weeks for a new order to arrive.
Only teething troubles but they obviously haven't checked it all before dispatch have they? !!!
They did know about the boiler though to be fair, they told us about that.
We had a new Elegance 810 for the last year or so and didn't like it.
Nearly broke our neck getting down steps in the middle of the night a few times! Also not much room to swing a cat or hanging space for clothes. Couldn't watch the TV if the grandchildren came with us as the bed took up space over the seats. There is loads more space in the Ixeo and loads better thought out.
What have you got?
Hi, we bought ours from emmbee, ordered it at nec last year and arrived end April. We have the same 680g, love it. Do you know what we haven't checked the carpets, there still in plastic bag. Best try them. Will ask them to change sockets round. Have you been away in yours yet. We have just come back from France, only 2 weeks away though. Enjoy your new motorhome. X

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back