Do you own a Bailey? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am afraid I have stolen this from another Forum but think it maybe helpful for Bailey owners.....
"
Took my Bailey Autograph 765 for only its second habitation service last week and the service centre came back with a report of damp around the back half of the motorhome floor!!

He told me it was a production problem and had even been to the factory and watched them on the production line. He said when they seal the sides and bottom to the floor they run a bead of sealeant with a pneumatic sealant gun but dont ensure the bead is pressed into the joint. The clips for the side trim are fixed then the trim fitted which covers all this up !!!

He says it is covered on Baileys warranty so should be fine. He will strip all this back and re seal properly before refitting trim. He will need our motorhome for two days to do this. He has done 30 Bailey caravans so far with a similar problem.

Not happy really after buying nearly new 1 year ago to be having to go through this. Has anyone heard of this or know anyone having to have this done to a Bailey? "
Alan with thanks to Ross' team

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Mines due for its 2 year service next month. Fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Heard of a few Baileys with ingress issues.. they seem to be catching Autotrail up..

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Sitting in our brand new 740 in a continual downpour at the Bagwell rally I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
ours 740 is 20 months old and was ok at first hab check , just hope its ok at the next .

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's for this reason that we always get damp checks done by independent service agents, not the supplying dealer. They may have a vested interested in not finding the damp, while under warranty.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Our Bailey 740 had its hab test done at 10 months and it had 60% water ingress in the back under the bed. The dealer said they would repair it under warranty but we ended up p/exing it.

Liz

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Yes we had a problem in the overcab area down to the sealant but it was soon sorted, no problems since. You can come out now Roger. (y)

I would NOT want any problem with damp on a new vehicle.
Totally un acceptable.
Seems to me many MH just accept it and the repair, rectification.
Once damp is allowed to ingress, it is always going to be there, surely.
Source may be sorted, but if it comes to your attention it has already started its ROT!
Only my opinion

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I was talking to a Bailey caravan owner this evening she has a 5 year old caravan and damp discovered on the floor this year. The damp was discovered after a smell investigated which discovered mould on the floor.

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It's for this reason that we always get damp checks done by independent service agents, not the supplying dealer. They may have a vested interested in not finding the damp, while under warranty.
Why do you think the suppling dealer would not want to find the damp, when they would get the work under warranty, therefore keeping the customer happy possibly ensuring a future order

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Totally un acceptable.
Source may be sorted, but if it comes to your attention it has already started its ROT!
Only my opinion

Been explained long ago this one, the water was in the glass fibre section over the cab entering through a poorly sealed plate and draining down the B pillar, yes it shouldn't have been there but there was no contact with any internal surface, and certainly no wood involved, so I was happy with the way it was explained and saw the problem when investigated and the repair as it was done. Other damp problems involving floors and timber are different.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Why do you think the suppling dealer would not want to find the damp, when they would get the work under warranty, therefore keeping the customer happy possibly ensuring a future order
Largely because dealers do not get full re-imbursement for hours spent on warranty work, they have to accept some of the cost themselves. ie they cannot charge the work to the manufacturer at the same hourly rate as to us.

Some dealers are great, I have had the privilege of dealing with one that was superb but is now too far away for me to use. I have also used one who, unless you were buying new, didn't want to know about any faults on a second hand m/h supposedly covered by warranty and one who missed so many things from an annual service that I stopped using them.

I may be wrong in my opinion but I will continue to deal with an independent workshop for something that vital. If you are lucky enough to find a great dealer by all means use them. It's your choice.(y)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Of the Topic but I also have a friend who bought a brand new German Motorhome after having so many issues with a Swift Bolero and thought he would have trouble free Motorhoming and was he wrong , it suffered water leaks through the roof no less than three times over 36 months and after having it repaired on the 3rd Occasion he P/x for a British brand again which has been ok .
It just go's to show that even the more up market makes can and do suffer from problems occasionally

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Just been to the back of my brand new 740 and I've noticed that the bottom cowling is pretty flexible if you push it downwards and when I did that all the silicone beading/sealant moves with it!!
Clearly NOT a seal then.
Back to dealers as soon as, I think

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Surely bedding walls onto the motorhome floor and relying on sealant to keep the water out is just a bad design.

Outer panels should drop below the floor allowing water to fall past the floor.
Design faults are inherent in most motorhome and caravan construction, resealing a badly designed body doesn`t ,are the problem go away, just puts it off.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Totally un acceptable.
Only my opinion
Generally not so on modern MHs - the PU foam insulation won't soak up water & there's minimal or no wood bracing hidden in the walls / roof. More often than not the evidence of a leak that's visible is the only damage there is. I agree with you though: if I found it during the period that allows rejection of the vehicle then I would do so without hesitation.

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Two years ago when we bought our Approach Autograph 745 I posted I'd be keeping a close eye on this thread. Well in June we had our second habitation check and yep, 99% damp along the nearside. Using it over the summer so only now able to get it done, but dealer have stripped it bare, taken out the beds and locker doors and replaced large sections of the floor. All done under warranty of course but hassle we could have done without (not least emptying the van completely - mind you it does make you realise just how much you carry when you see it all piled up in the front room!). Like with the OP, the (Bailey) dealer said they'd had to do this to loads of Baileys because of a "known fault" with the sealant application on the production line. Crazy! If there's a known fault, then fix it not carry on producing! Anyway, we asked the dealer if this work would affect the resale value - he said no, but he also said the work would be recorded on the computer so who knows? On the plus side, I'm confident the dealer - Stowford South Wales, who can't personally be faulted to be honest - will at least make sure there's a darn good sealant on it from now on.

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We bought a brand new Bailey AA625 in 2015 , first hadcheck 70% damp across the back , dealer had gone bust and no other Bailey dealer would touch it as they had not sold it to us , said they only get 60% of there hourly workshop rate from Bailey for warranty work , got it done privately then had to fight Bailey to get any money , our friends had a 2016 AA765 first hab check 60 to 80% damp down near side and across back went back to the factory for a couple of months when it came back they sold it

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But doesn't the warranty require dealer damp checks each year to be valid

Just realised how old this thread is......doh

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
My wife used to be a Bailey before she married me. Spookily our eldest daughter married a Bailey(no, we are not hillbillies!)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
But doesn't the warranty require dealer damp checks each year to be valid

Just realised how old this thread is......doh
Warranty requires stamp from “Approved dealership or agent”.

Present m/h booked in with our favoured Approved Agent for a warranty repair now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back