Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I went to the Stafford MH show Saturday hoping to get advice, but no one there was selling them. We have an old van with no outside gas point, but are thinking of getting one fitted if possible later this year. We don't want to lift the gas bottles in and out so would need to use the small canisters for the time being. Do I need to get a hose and regulator? Are the canisters propane or butane? Would like to order one off Amazon, but need to know what I am doing first. :confused:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I think there are two types, high and low pressure. One for the small canisters and one through a regulater, can't remember which is which.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Ours came without hose or regulator , so we sourced them off e-bay & we use butane.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yep you need a,regulator,I have three 1,for butane,1,for propane ,and one for the 500gm canisters that I use in an emergency.all bought through ebay. Roy

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wherever you buy get and keep a receipt, had one with fault on burner ring from new and Cadac who are usually top notch:RollEyes:
Said no paperwork no fixy, despite in being obvious to a blind man it had never cooked a sausage
Hands up, who ever gets a receipt from stuff bought at a show
I know!!!! you all do:doh:
Ive ben involved in buying 4 and every one came with pipe and conection fitting
My advise buy the full size and have a BBQ point fitted as you suggest
the low pressure and table top versions just dont cut it im afraid

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you have a supply fitted so you get your gas from the motorhome then you won't need a regulator as it will be using the van regulator. The Safari chef is a big cooker and I'm actually thinking of getting the smaller one just so I don't lug the big one around for just the two of us!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you have a supply fitted so you get your gas from the motorhome then you won't need a regulator as it will be using the van regulator. The Safari chef is a big cooker and I'm actually thinking of getting the smaller one just so I don't lug the big one around for just the two of us!

Me too !

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've got the smaller safari chef and use old aluminium table slats as leg extensions.

John.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They do a high pressure one where the cylinders screw straight on but no good for connecting to an external point on the m/h as the supply will already have been regulated down to low pressure. The low pressure one will need a bottle and regulator and hose it can be attached to an external gas point. There is a small regulator available to fit the low pressure one which takes the cadac small gas bottles. So if you think you are going to use it a lot and might get an external gas point (at some cost!!!) get a low pressure one but until you get an external point you will need a hose and regulator. If you want portability and to take it to the beach get the high pressure one and gas cans. For what its worth we got the low pressure one but mainly use a £10 ikea non stick pan and £10 small camping cooker (the ones that come in a plastic rectangular box and take small canisters ) its light small and easy to clean the cadac takes more cleaning!!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
take a look at an "Outdoor chef" barbeque ,we have one for the MH and can cook whole chickens,meat joints on it as well as the usual burgers etc,it sits low on the ground . i did a whole chicken in it and it came out tops,crispy on the outside with a barbie flavour and nice and juicy on the inside,you can order them from Amazon(y)

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We have both sizes of the cadac. Large one great for more than 2 people small one perfect for two. Large one is 12years old and as good as new. Small one 1year old. Great pieces of kit.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If your looking at getting a Safari Chef , make sure it's the 2 version they work a lot better than the original as they have less baffle plates, and there's less to clean.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have both sizes of the cadac. Large one great for more than 2 people small one perfect for two. Large one is 12years old and as good as new. Small one 1year old. Great pieces of kit.
Graham would you mind posting a photo or a link to where you buy the fitment for the little bottle you have.
This thread is a reminder for me to look for my extension legs I misplaced (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before going down the Cadac route decide if you're going to actually use it as a BBQ, ie with the wire rack, or as a griddle with the flat/ribbed plate - if the latter then any portable stove will do the job just as well with a griddle pan on top and is a lot cheaper and easier to clean.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For what its worth we got the low pressure one but mainly use a £10 ikea non stick pan and £10 small camping cooker (the ones that come in a plastic rectangular box and take small canisters ) its light small and easy to clean the cadac takes more cleaning!!
Agree totally with this - no need for a BBQ point and the money saved will pay for a heck of a lot of gas canisters! Our B&M store has the stoves for around £7 and the canisters at £3.99 for 4 and they can be bought just about anywhere, both here and abroad. These types of stove also have the advantage that they are very controllable and can also thrown out a LOT of heat if you want to stir fry or really cremate something!

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Sandra
I was given it in a birthday gift and came ready to use from my gas tank. Could not use bottles as we use it most days while away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back