Would you pay £10 per night for electric? (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Just back home after touring the south coast of Hampshire, Dorset and Devon.

We called at http://www.hurstviewleisure.co.uk/ in Lymington and asked how much they charged for a one-night stay. We were told "£20 or £30 if you want electric." "£10 a night for electric?!!!", I said. "Yes, that's right." What a rip-off. Needless to say, we did not stay.

We moved on and at Christchurch we found http://www.meadowbank-holidays.co.uk/ It was a delightful site and the facilities were superb. We only needed the smallest of the choices of pitches available and the cost per night was £17 ...... including electric!

The standard charge for electric was £3 to £4 per night at every site we stayed at. So, why did Hurst View at Lymington want to charge us £10?

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
So, why did Hurst View at Lymington want to charge us £10?

Dunno, but keep quiet about Meadowbank!

It is a great site, very clean, very well kept and very reasonable - number 1 son is studying a couple of miles from there and I use it when I go and visit, don't want them putting their prices up or being full when I want to go (c:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So, why did Hurst View at Lymington want to charge us £10?

Because they can! ------------------ Somebody must be happy to pay it.

I'm sure it's illegal in this country to make a profit on resold electricity

You are right but they will justify it by 'providing a serviced facility'

Reactions: Les

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It is meant to be illegal for sites to make a profit on electric but they get around this by just charging more for a higher flat rate for a pitch that has electric supply rather than charging a pitch fee for that same pitch then electric on top. To pay £10 more then that pitch would have to have a lot more going for it than just EHU!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sure it's illegal in this country to make a profit on resold electricity
Correct Jim, but there is an easy way round it.

You are not buying electric, you are hiring their hook up point so in effect the electric consumed is free and they can charge whatever they want for the hire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Although it seems a lot, it is their site and therefore their choice I would hope, presuming they haven't actually broken a law regarding resale, which as said above will be covered by providing a service not the actual electricity. Most sites charge a fixed rate it would be near impossible to balance the books on actual usage and that would give them nothing towards the installation, servicing it and insuring it

The other issue is abuse by some, heating awnings etc just because they have paid for it, it would be possible to consume nearly that if you tried, I cant do the sums on amps / volts watts etc, but a 2Kw heater running 24 hours plus whatever else was used could put quite a dent in £10, especially as they will be paying business charges for the electric which is usually higher than domestic

and you at least had the option to not take the electricity, it could have been £30 including, with no other options

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I may pay a couple of Euro, but not £10............or is that the same now?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but a 2Kw heater running 24 hours plus whatever else was used could put quite a dent in £10,
2kw x 24hrs = 48kWh
Average domestic rate is around 17p per kw

48 x 17 = £8.16...plus VAT @ 5%

£8.57.....and that's just for the heater

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Perhaps the pitches were significantly different ?
Non-electric on grass, electric on hard standing for example.
In such a situation I might pay the £10, however if pitches are identical, it's a blatant rip off !

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
At an average of 15p per kwh one would need to use in excess of 66.66kwh in a 24 hour period to burn £10 ex vat

So . . a 2kwh heater would only burn 48kwh in a 24 hour period if left on permanently & continuously using 2kwh

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
The pop up motel outside the Glastonbury festival was charging in excess of £100 for an electric connection for the 5 days!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
£10 a night for electricity?

I wouldn't pay £10 a night for a very, very naughty working girl... :whistle:

(Mind you, under those circumstances, I would need the electricity to kick start my system into action...)

JJ :cool:

But you wouldn't need any heating. You would soon be sweating. ---- I far as I remember, its been some time!:swear2:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
one would need to use in excess of 66.66kwh in a 24 hour period to burn £10 ex vat

Yes but that connection did not grow from a seed, a whole lot of cash was paid out and continues to be paid to keep it up to standard.

I was thinking at Bagwell, "how many miles of cable has gone into this place". A lot is the answer.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The pop up motel outside the Glastonbury festival was charging in excess of £100 for an electric connection for the 5 days!

I think at motorhome shows they charge over £100 per day to traders who need electricity.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Perhaps the pitches were significantly different ?
Non-electric on grass, electric on hard standing for example.
In such a situation I might pay the £10, however if pitches are identical, it's a blatant rip off !
Naa .. £10 is far too much. We will always opt for electric if it's available but we're not going to pay more than a fiver a night and prefer less

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess you can understand it being a lot of money at temporary sites such as shows. The cost of large generator hire all the temporary connection boards put up , all of which have to be signed off by a person with correct qualifications etc and then dismantle it after the event, plus damaged cables etc that nobody will know who did.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I certainly wouldn't pay for electricity at this rate, especially as its (allegedly) mid summer. Its very typical of rip-off Britain though. In the 80s when ordinary camp sites began installing EHU points, there was some shameful charging for electricity, back then motorhomes & caravans had very few built in electrical gadgets so it was like being mugged.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I live in beautiful Devon but do not do much touring with the van. We toured North Devon last year average camp site fee was £25 I/c electric but what got me up set was when we toured the Devon coast (the same happened in Cornwall) The charges for the car parks, places where you want stop and have stroll around, say for an hour or so, they were charging by the half day and some places by the whole day. If we had paid the going rate in each car park we stayed in, one day would have cost us OVER £30.

Friends ask me why we keep going abroad. That's reason above. The only place you have pay fees are in the very large towns and that's if you want go in them. And course you have you have the "aires" on average about 4 euros per night and several with electric.

colyboy

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You never know now the UK has left the EU :rolleyes: sites might get cheaper................ NOT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back