WoW, Put out a fire quick, must get one!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Having seen many times the aftermath of powder based fire fighting equipment take some free advise
Let It Burn
Or wish you had

I am sure that you have more experience of this than me but I was thinking more along the lines, that if you put your fire out, it MIGHT save all the motorhomes parked up near you. Perhaps they wouldn't thank you for "Letting it burn"

But as I say, you will have more experience of this sort of thing than me as, thank goodness I have never had a fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks good butthen Im guessing the video only shows the fires that have gone out. Wonder if it really is as good as it looks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This is where my experience has let me down, I gave no thought as to neighbours vans:doh:
As all my experience has been in Motor sport fire fighting where lives were more important than property.
Some race cars and equipment were destroyed by the powder not the fire
In a motor home environment I can almost guarantee the powder will be impossible to remove, virtually making it a write off for the sake of say a small pan fire.
Dump the Powder Extinguishers all together and get the proper modern kit in its place
But getting back to the powder Bomb effective YES, getting that close to place it NO

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It looks, from the video, that the extinguisher is heat operated. In all the videos the grenade was placed within the flame area, easy in a box or a case. Even in the under bonnet car fire you can see that it has been carefully placed directly in the flames.

Inside a motorhome, if the fire is as well developed as those shown, you would be better off getting out before being overcome by smoke.

Trying to ensure that the grenade stays within the flame area and doesn't roll away, particularly if the fire is above ground level would be difficult. If not within the " hot zone" it may not operate.

A standard, directional, dry powder extinguisher, is much more likely to be of use.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
[QUOTE="maison,

A standard, directional, dry powder extinguisher, is much more likely to be of use.[/QUOTE]

That's if it hasn't compacted into a solid block of chalk
You may have worked out by now i'm not a fan of Powder type extinguishers :swear:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
[QUOTE="maison,

A standard, directional, dry powder extinguisher, is much more likely to be of use.

You may have worked out by now i'm not a fan of Powder type extinguishers :swear:[/QUOTE]

Shake it up twice a year and change it according to manufacturers instructions!

I stand by my comments regarding the videos.

I base my observations only on 34 years experience within the fire service.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The product facts state that the spent product can be easily vacuumed or wiped away so @Geo it clearly isn't what you think it is.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The product facts state that the spent product can be easily vacuumed or wiped away so @Geo it clearly isn't what you think it is.
If that is the case then that is good but they must have come on a bit since I last used dry power in a sub station. it was a terrible mess. Would be interesting if they extended this video to include the easy cleaning demonstration. Wonder why they didn't........:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They do show it used in computer rooms and electrical equipment where I imagine it is quite important. It is also shown going off in the hand and a glass box. They probably didn't think that a clean up demo was important.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A while ago I was watching American Pickers
They came across some very old globe shaped glass bottles and asked what they were for.
Turned out they were for putting out fires !
They were dated about 1920ish from memory so this sort of thing is def not new ( but rehashed with modern up to date materials )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ooops Techno has spoken I must be wrong again

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's one on eBay with a decent description. One interesting use suggested is to mount it in the area most at risk where, if the worst should happen, it will effectively self-deploy. Optimally one could be placed in the kitchen area, another in the gas locker, and yet another over the engine. Bit pricey for that though.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have to agree with my new best mate @Geo
Dry powder is a nightmare to clean up

Someone kicked one under the seat of a light aircraft I had a share in , it partially deployed in flight.
Thousands of pounds of damage
All the instruments had to be overhauled, it was even inside the vacuum driven instruments which are technically sealed

For the motor home I use a large ish foam extinguisher

I think the glass ball contained carbon tetra chloride which is now banned

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wow indeed
My new Indian name
My spirtit guide said I would know it when it came,
Geo Two Mates:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very impressive - something that the Fire Brigade could use for smaller fires, it is certainly someting that I think everyone should have in their homes too - much easier and quicker to use than a standard fire extinguisher which can be difficult to operate/aim.

If the price comes down I'll certainly have a couple, one for the camper and home.

The ONLY requirement seems to be that you have to be a good tosser to get it where it needs to be! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having seen many times the aftermath of powder based fire fighting equipment take some free advise
Let It Burn
Or wish you had
We had cause to use a powder extinguisher in our MH once (in 2005) when we had a fire in a cupboard and the stuff gets everywhere, however I would certainly NOT have let it just burn! Ours was caused by a badly installed gas BBQ point (dealer fitted) which came apart allowing the gas to come out from the end of the pipe and it ignighted ... we had a 5ft blowtorch!!!! Once the gas was turned off again the extinguisher was used to ensure that nothing was alight in the cupboard - fortunately I'd previously fitted some fire retardant loft insulation behind the cupboard/into the holes at the back and side of it to stop draughts from the fridge vents (shouldn't have been draughty at all I know) so this prevent the fire getting hold behind the panels.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They probably didn't think that a clean up demo was important.

Or realised that a clean up demo might not back up the claims in their promotional literature :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looking at the video there actually doesn't seem to be a massive mess created once the bomb's gone off as most of the contents appear to be 'consumed' when extinguishing the fire.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I will admit that I do not know. But it seems to me that the speed of most fires in a motorhome, one would not be worrying about the mess it made, it would - as I said in a previous post- be more about saving other Motorhomes parked up near you ( have seen pictures of a complete line of MH trashed by fire because one had a fire) because by the time you found/ used any other extinguisher your MH would be a write off, so the mess wouldn't matter.

Just saying.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My son and future son-in-law were a bit boisterous right after England rugby team had beaten Australia. In a drunken moment A dry powder extinguisher was set off in a barn and it went everywhere, all the tools, bikes, mower ect were covered. Next day I set them the task of cleaning it all. They came back in just half an hour saying it was done. I said "it had better be" and checked it. To my surprise it was spotless, they had easily cleaned it with a couple of damp dusters.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was going to post about my latest discovery...

a pill that enables you to fly like a bird... absolutely free and with no side effects what so ever.

But then I thought... no point posting about it... Funsters will find something wrong with it.

I think Thomas was one of Fun's first subscribers and some relatives joined later. :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You may have worked out by now i'm not a fan of Powder type extinguishers :swear:

I had a dry powder extinguisher in my first MH. It got tipped every 6 months or so. When I part exchanged this van I got a new extinguisher so decided to set the old one off.
It hissed, coughed a bit of powder then sighed to a finish. Absolutely no use putting out even a cigarette.

My van now carries a larger CO2 extinguisher.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back