Piggy Back Electrical Site Hook up Cable???? (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Hi I'm not sure if I was seeing things, I think I spotted on a Calpe Site in Spain a Site Hook up cable which seemed to have an additional connection for supplying an extension lead for outside power. It looked like it piggy backed the site mains Electric Hookup socket, therefor bypassing the Motorhome fuse box. When I went to speak to the owner, the next day they had moved on so I'm still not sure if such a thing exists.
Has anyone else see these or did I have one drink too many????

Basa

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yep there are quite a few ways of doing it.
original_885.jpg

famatel_cee_ip44_16a_1p_n_e_2_weg_splitter.jpg
m3CI933AGS3LR2oPFVAg85Q.jpg

Deleted User
I have one, bought off ebay from Germany I think with the Schuko connection.

We saw them quite often on the Continent, some are better than others regarding weatherproofing, there is a standard to which some adhere and some simply state 'weatherproof', ours falls into the latter category bur we have had no problems.

Can't find one on ebay, maybe on Ebay Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not safe unless the bollard has its own RCD, Better touse an extension lead from the van which will be after the van RCD & MCB

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Those are all simply splitters, the one i have as an external socket that is part of the connector to the van ie 'piggybacks'.

I will search later or take a pic of mine.

I know what they are.

The ones with the socket on the female end of the connector, as in @Techno 's post do exactly the same thing, just at the other end of the cable.

Whichever type they are all "simply splitters"

The disadvantage of the female end type are that in the example the OP quoted - sharing a site or aire supply - you would need a further adapter to use it. With the male end type you can use your standard lead.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know what they are.

The ones with the socket on the female end of the connector, as in @Techno 's post do exactly the same thing, just at the other end of the cable.

The disadvantage of the female end type are that in the example the OP quoted - sharing a site or aire supply - you would need a further adapter to use it. With the male end type you can use your standard lead.
With my two leads it works anywhere

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Because you have a lead with a 2 pin plug that fits your adapter (y)
Yes but it fits a shucko hook up post too
Handy at places like Honfleur where electric has to be shared most often
I've had others plug into mine with only a short lead

Deleted User
I know what they are.

Yes I take your point about the term 'splitter' and the need for another adapter but the disadvantage of the types that you pictured is that you would need 2 hook up leads to reach the van and then still need an adapter to plug any appliance in.

I have many continental appliances with Schuko connecters that I can plug in directly, I also have a short converter lead to a dual UK 3 pin socket outlet that i can use next to my van under the awning if necessary.

Deleted User
I've got a short (less that a foot) lead that will fit those with a blue socket on the other end. Never used it :(

Used ours lots, there are still lots of sites on the Continent with 2 pin sockets.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Used ours lots, there are still lots of sites on the Continent with 2 pin sockets.

So I understand. That's why I carry one.

I've just not found anywhere to use it yet although to be fair we usually pick aires over sites given any choice. Everywhere we've stayed so far that has had electric has just had the standard blue 3 pin connection.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many vans are not fitted with an RCD but I've yet to find a hook up point that wasn't protected
Loads abroad Andy, some using cartridge fuses? Also you reliant on the bollards working and being tested

Safer from your own known supply

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Loads abroad Andy, some using cartridge fuses? Also you reliant on the bollards working and being tested

Safer from your own known supply
As I said I've never found one. They have legal requirements abroad too but even so that being the case it is no less dangerous than your hook up lead would be ;)

This is why very many continental vans do not fit an RCD they rely on the hook up point.

For Eddie :p

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I went to a boot sale, bought a couple of female and one male plug and a waterproof junction box off a guy for a total of a fiver.. 10 minutes work and I had my own splitter :)
There is a meet we go to in Italy that has one hook up between 15 or so vans which are all daisy chained together !!!!!!!
No one dare use anything electrical apart from the battery charging system :)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Saw a lot of the type @Techno posted in germany running their outdoor kitchens/appliances.
And the rain was lashing down and i did not see anyone who seemed to give it a second thought.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you want to use UK plugs outdoors, you need something like this, which is an IP66 UK socket.

If you make an adapter like this,
UKSocketAdapter.jpg BlueUKSocketAdapter.jpg
be sure to use waterproof glands for the cable entry points.
CableGland.jpg
Connectors have an 'IP' rating to indicate how well they are protected against solids (fingers, tools, dust) and liquids. IP = Ingress Protection.

Blue plugs and sockets are rated IP44. The second number, 4, means they are proof against rain from any angle, but not water jets or immersion.
IP44.jpg
Many continental 2-pin (Schuko) sockets are IP44 also.

Standard UK 3-pin sockets are IP20, where the second number, 0, indicates no protection at all from water.

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Well Thank you everyone for their responses, the one I spotted is Techno''s so I wasn't seeing things. It was interesting to see the other types point out in other responses and I will start looking into which would best meet my needs. I think I'll have a quick drink first
Thank you again to everyone who responded.

Basa

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We use a long coiled extension lead with 4 sockets on the end. That plugs in to site hook up and sits in the awning. Then we run another lead from there to the van...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you want the socket I can source them at €18 delivered from Germany. The lead it about €28

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I bought another and arrived today yes Sunday from Germany
A better quality than pictures on Amazon but same part number so Schwabe must have redesigned it
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back