Ogmore-By- Sea (1 Viewer)

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
We live quite near Ogmore by Sea in Vale of Glamorgan and have noticed when walking the dog in the morning about 10am that there are more and more Campers and Motorhomes parking up on the front overlooking the sea.

It is a huge car park and they do have a Pay and Display but I don't know if they 'officially' allow overnight. I guess that people turn up late after checks as there are no gates or overheight barriers to prevent access??

Perhaps someone will be able to clarify if they do allow parking overnight? :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I first asked VoG Council for information in 2006 they refused to tell me which car parks had height barriers, one reason being "Release of the information could result in car parks being used for overnight parking".

In response to a follow-up in October last year they said "Please be advised that none of the council run car parks are suitable for motor – homes".

See Here.

As the council don't bother to have anything about parking on their web site I think we have to assume that overnight parking isn't allowed.

Graham

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi graham ,why do we have to assume that?why not assume we can park untill informed different.a motor home is the same status in law as a car so we have the same rights. i say park where you want untill authority says no. then challenge their authentisity. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Go there some weekends, for the day in the motorhome, but friends of mine have stayed in cars, vans and motorhomes overnight with no problems ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi graham ,why do we have to assume that?why not assume we can park untill informed different.a motor home is the same status in law as a car so we have the same rights. i say park where you want untill authority says no. then challenge their authentisity. cheers alan.

It's reasonable to interpret from the statement "Release of the information could result in car parks being used for overnight parking" that overnight parking is not allowed, by any vehicle.

That a motorhome has the same status in law as a car is only partly correct. Any given authority can (within its powers) pass a TRO which discriminates between different types of vehicle.

If an authority has passed a TRO which bans overnight parking by some or all vehicles then it has said no before you or I park where we want. The only challenge which would succeeed is if the TRO had not been drawn up and implemented correctly within the powers enjoyed by the authority concerned.

Graham

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi graham ,i know your trying to be helpfull in advising third parties, but i think you assume alot that is not written in their letters .if parking is not allowed they could have said so. it would have been more usefill if they had said so and quoted the orders to forbid parking overnight. what you got tells us nothing.its a shame that they try to pull the wool over oureyes by not being honest. i assume who ever wrote the letter is not man/woman enough to tell the truth but try to mislead by omission. never mind seems campers do stay there so lets assume its ok . cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi graham ,i know your trying to be helpfull in advising third parties, but i think you assume alot that is not written in their letters .if parking is not allowed they could have said so. it would have been more usefill if they had said so and quoted the orders to forbid parking overnight. what you got tells us nothing.its a shame that they try to pull the wool over oureyes by not being honest. i assume who ever wrote the letter is not man/woman enough to tell the truth but try to mislead by omission. never mind seems campers do stay there so lets assume its ok . cheers alan.

have you been getting private tuition from andy by any chance alan? ::bigsmile:

"Release of the information could result in car parks being used for overnight parking"

thats exactly what they said but in a roundabout way.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa but does the not releasing stop overnight parking. of course not as we have been told.
i dont always agree with andy but i do like todays vid. it reminds me of weymouth court house.
come on i,m sure you realise i,m an anti authoritarian .
i was invited to prospect for the angels years ago but as they have a strict rule system i refused to join. have enough trouble keeping to uk rules without a bag of new rules.
just like everything someone as to keep a check on the managers.
like i said earlier .doesnt matter which party is voted in the country is ran by jumped up authority that non of us voted in. their jobs never end.
always had a problem with authority even at school ,they said you must wear a school uniform . i said ,i do it just isnt this schools im wearing.by the time i got the right one we moved to another area it starts all over again. cheers alan.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Sorry Alan but I think you're wrong about any intent to mislead.

I don't know exactly what it says in the TROs but I didn't actually ask for that information so the people who answered were quite right to summarise rather than going to the expense of providing copies of all the different TROs. I'm sure that none of us would want local authorities to waste money by doing more than they have to just for the sake of it.

I was quite satisfied, having received the answer, that overnight parking was not allowed. If I had not been satisfied I should have explored the matter further.

Anyone who is still not satisified can easily contact VoG council for clarification. That is the proper thing to do rather than just assuming the situation is as one might want it to be.

Graham

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi graham ,i get it now its ok for you to assume but if i assume different i,m wrong.
after all you started assuming .
thats why i questioned your assumtion.
tongue in cheek giving a different assumtion.
i have never been there if there isnt signs saying no overnight parking i would park.
if it says no sleeping in vehicles i would still park.
you may assume i am sleeping in the vehicle . you could be wrong. is it fair to assume ? of course its not.
i would look else where if i wanted to sleep.
and not spend more than neccesary in the town /village .
never mind good job we are a free country.
we can always make choices/ cheers alan.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi graham ,i get it now its ok for you to assume but if i assume different i,m wrong.
after all you started assuming .
thats why i questioned your assumtion.
tongue in cheek giving a different assumtion.
i have never been there if there isnt signs saying no overnight parking i would park.
if it says no sleeping in vehicles i would still park.
you may assume i am sleeping in the vehicle . you could be wrong. is it fair to assume ? of course its not.
i would look else where if i wanted to sleep.
and not spend more than neccesary in the town /village .
never mind good job we are a free country.
we can always make choices/ cheers alan.
Thank you Alan :Smile:

Now I have to apologise for a sin of omission.

Before posting previously on this thread I should have looked at the full information provided by VoG Council. The council provided spreadseets (published on my web site at the link which I provided) which give details for all individual car parks. In every case it is pointed out that no overnight parking is allowed.

Graham

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Too much assumption going on. To assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME.
I, like Walan would use the car park if no signs displayed, but then I use car park or lay bye with or without signage.:ROFLMAO:

Don

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
People overnighting at Ogmore should not upset anyone. The car park is well away from housing and should not upset anyone. If there are no signs specifically prohibiting overnighting I would stay there. Its a great spot. There used to be a man collecting money as you enter so presumably you will have to pay for daytime parking.

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi,
No-one collecting at the entrance these days as they have installed Pay and Display machines.
Cannot see anywhere on the machines that no overnight camping allowed but only had a quick look so will check it out tomorrow or friday when I go over.
If it doesn't state you cannot park overnight and doesn't ask for any payment (only daytime) so I would normally assume that it is ok to do so.
I wouldn't really check with the Vale or any other Council first as would expect it to be clearly marked on the machine:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
People overnighting at Ogmore should not upset anyone. The car park is well away from housing and should not upset anyone.

Hi,
No-one collecting at the entrance these days as they have installed Pay and Display machines.
Cannot see anywhere on the machines that no overnight camping allowed but only had a quick look so will check it out tomorrow or friday when I go over.

Having looked at the VoG list again I'm not sure which car park we are talking about. VoG list three car parks at Ogmore - Brig-y-Don (CF32 0PR); West Farm (CF32 0PY) and Rivermouth (CF32 0PD).

It would be useful to know which of these is the one in question.

Graham

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
GJH. I notice your site does not mention the availability of overnight motorhome parking at Dawlish Warren and Teignmouth (Eastcliffe). This was introduced as an experiment a few months ago by Teignbridge District Council.

Cherok. Thanks for the information about Ogmore. Its a few years since I've been there as I used to live in Cardiff and it was an excellent spot to visit.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
graham ,i have looked at your info its very good.unfortunately the counclis dont list all there carparks. i think there are too many. you do try very hard i dont meen to knock what you do . i think mostof us have a little book with useful places to park. they may not be officially correct .i like the ones with hot water in the sinks saves gas. i think lots of councils will say no just as soon as make a real decision.do carry on your good work i wouldnt want to put you off. cheers alan.

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi Graham

It would be the large sea-front car park probably Rivermouth as it is right on the estuary :Doh:although I didn't know it was called that:Smile:
Although there are a few along the front there leading around to the farm but they are all the same, no gates or over-height barriers.

Yes, the area is lovely and restful and I often like to sit and look out over the sea. Feel blessed to live in such a lovely area really::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
graham ,i have looked at your info its very good.unfortunately the counclis dont list all there carparks. i think there are too many. you do try very hard i dont meen to knock what you do . i think mostof us have a little book with useful places to park. they may not be officially correct .i like the ones with hot water in the sinks saves gas. i think lots of councils will say no just as soon as make a real decision.do carry on your good work i wouldnt want to put you off. cheers alan.

Interesting that you say councils don't list all their car parks Alan. Some have provided spreadsheets like VoG and others have listed them within the body of text responses with summaries of parking allowed or not.

In order to comply with FoI they should include all car parks, though I am aware that some may miss out small ones which are integral to places like parks and swimming baths, rather than being "normal" car parks. As those are, in the main, pretty small and probably unsuitable for large vehicles I haven't pushed the matter where I have no personal knowledge of an area.

The other aspect is that not all car parks are owned by councils and all councils have to do is provide information they hold, not go out and gather extra information. A few months ago there was a post on another forum saying that motorhomes are not welcome in the car parks in Laugharne as "There's a council sign saying that motorhomes will be clamped!". As Carmarthenshire Council hadn't mentioned that car park I enquired of Laugharne Corporation. They said they had always assumed that it was owned by Carmarthenshire Council. I enquired again of Carmarthenshire Council and they said they definitely don't own the car park. I asked the original poster (via the other forum) to see if they could establish ownership but have heard nothing.

If anyone does come across omissions I would be grateful to receive details so that I can chase them up. A photo of a sign giving the council name would be helpful.

Graham

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i made a mistake there graham i didnt read your info properly . on looking back isee there is more carparks if i click on theblue here bits. i was wrong. i think you do a good job with your list . never used it myself.try to find somewhere most places ,hopefully only leaving a few footsteps in the sand after i leave. i like industrial parks never have a problem and usually after a chat to some circulating security hope i,m safe. cheers alan.

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
Over night parking

I have not done any, but there are signs in scotland saying no over night parking. But I am led to believe that there is no law as such, so if you get done you ask under which law they are using make a note of if then you can have it checked. But I think you can park anywhere for up to 48 hours as this is the one the Travelers use ( I am not a traveler ) So when the police move them on they just move locations for another 48 hours. Inverness this year the council gave them wheelie bins They used them as kennels for the dogs I was glad they had put them to good use and took care of the dogs.

BUT I do have a question when traveling in uk signs everywhere saying do not drive when tired take a break, then when you stop there are signs no overnight parking this is a bit confusing dont you think. Like everyone views on that.

mythor

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have not done any, but there are signs in scotland saying no over night parking. But I am led to believe that there is no law as such, so if you get done you ask under which law they are using make a note of if then you can have it checked.
For a summary of legislation see Here.

But I think you can park anywhere for up to 48 hours as this is the one the Travelers use ( I am not a traveler ) So when the police move them on they just move locations for another 48 hours.
Not true. Some people merely take advantage of the fact that being moved on from an illagal camp site is a civil matter, so takes time.

BUT I do have a question when traveling in uk signs everywhere saying do not drive when tired take a break, then when you stop there are signs no overnight parking this is a bit confusing dont you think. Like everyone views on that.

mythor

For any of us doing a long journey which necessarily involves an overnight stop, is it too much to ask that we do a little bit of forward planning and identify somewhere that we know we can stop legally rather than taking a chance?

Graham

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Parking up

Oh dear,just takes the fun out of wilding or just parking up for the night.Why dont we all do what the Authorities want us to do,so they can control and keep an eye on us,heaven forbid,you shouldn't park up in a council car park,paid for by tax payers.....No that council want MORE money,and anyway what would any council want campervans for,they dont spend money really do they ?
If there's no barriers and NO SIGN saying shamedly telling you your not wanted (surely a civil right or equal rights or some bleeding EU right) not to be treated differently ? then PARK THERE.any problems,take pictures soon as,of lack of signs etc,for court action....
By the way,i aint gonna look for docs or things on the internet to see if i'm banned or not,i'm just going to drive,if i like it,and not hurting,damaging or causing problems,i enjoy the place,have a night or two and move on to the next place i spend my money at,unfortunately not UK anymore,but thats what i did there,and what i do now here,Greece and anywhere else i might visit or roam...I have a legal camper,i've paid my taxes all my life,i'm a free person living in the EU :thumb:
Oh ay...by the way lovely spot,theres also a couple of quiet pub carparks in Porthcawl that will let you park up as long as you have a beer or a meal,just enquire :Smile:

mandrake

Free Member
Dec 9, 2010
north cornelly s/ wales
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
years and years and so forth
We live quite near Ogmore by Sea in Vale of Glamorgan and have noticed when walking the dog in the morning about 10am that there are more and more Campers and Motorhomes parking up on the front overlooking the sea.

It is a huge car park and they do have a Pay and Display but I don't know if they 'officially' allow overnight. I guess that people turn up late after checks as there are no gates or overheight barriers to prevent access??

Perhaps someone will be able to clarify if they do allow parking overnight? :thumb:
hi no they dont allow overnighting there although some do stay overnight and there is a notice as you drop down onto the carpark 50quid fine ecetera .we had been fulltiming in the area for 18 months in fact if you live in the area you may have seen us parked up there at times last summer a bedford cf with mandrake on the front .anyway we used to stay overnight further down the road to ogmore village there is a road that goes up hill on the bend near the other car park

May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Land Rover
People overnighting at Ogmore should not upset anyone. The car park is well away from housing and should not upset anyone. If there are no signs specifically prohibiting overnighting I would stay there. Its a great spot. There used to be a man collecting money as you enter so presumably you will have to pay for daytime parking.

Unfortunately I think there are a minority of irresponsible campers who do cause upset to the locals by leaving the remains of fire and rubbish after they've gone.

I've been there a few times with my young Son and we don't bother anyone. No noise, no fire, no rubbish. In fact if there is rubbish already there when we get there, we pick that up as well.

But we have had confrontations with the locals who take it upon themselves to challenge our staying there. The locals are simply against it and there are now signs in the car park which state no overnight parking. We tend to feel that where there's no harm there's no foul, but the locals who challenged us are not persuaded by this argument. They simply do not want us there.

Anyway, it looks like they are putting ANPR cameras and barriers at the site now. Ostensibly to combat the anti-social behaviour that occurred in June 2020, but in reality I believe it's an excuse for the locals to put a stop to any late night parking at Ogmore by Sea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back