Habitation check on a 15yr old motorhome? (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone,

I bought my motorhome back in August last year and like so many others, I let my heart rule my head and I didn't have a habitation check performed by an independent party prior to the purchase. This came back to bite me (big time!) but that's a story for another day.

So the MOT is due soon, can present it from mid-July and I've found a great guy who I trust really well to do a decent and honest job. I've booked it in with him for a pre-MOT check and a minor engine service (oil/filter). There were no advisories on the last MOT and I'm quite mechanically minded and I'm not expecting any surprises when the test comes up.

The habitation side of things though, I'm not that sure of (still learning!) so I've also asked him to do a habitation check - I'm leaving it with him for a week.

Being very new to this whole motorhoming malarkey I've been learning fast (and hard!) about all aspects of this life changing hobby and I'm pretty sure I know what a standard / annual hab check includes but I was wondering if I should be asking my guy to check anything in particular, or check anything specifically, due to the age of the motorhome?

It's a 1999 Swift Sundance, only 32k on the clock, one owner (prior to me) and the most immaculate interior you could ever wish for, it was like new inside (which I think is what ruled my heart at the time of purchase!). Any thoughts on anything that should be given extra attention in the hab check at this age?

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
damp o_O, very important that is checked

Oh you're not wrong!

That's what came back to bite me, there's nothing you can tell me about leaking roofs! I have the bills, heart ache and high blood pressure levels to prove it :cry:

But worth a mention, the guy I use for my maintenance and repair work is Paul Marlor of "A.M. Engineering" in Burtonwood/Warrington. His dedication, patience, commitment and quality of work just can't be faulted. Can't recommend him enough https://themotorhomerepaircentre.com (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ask them to service the fridge during the hab inspection, its not a standard part of a hab insp yet both Dometic and Thetford say their absorption fridges should have an annual service.

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have seen hab checks and real hab servicing. a check is pretty much just that, a visual check with a tick box sheet and money for old rope. a proper hab service checks all the appliances are working correctly and burning clean on gas along with a pressure test and full damp test. as said servicing a gas fridge should in theory be done yearly but very rarely is

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
damp o_O, very important that is checked

'fraid he's right. Search on here to find that Swift are not good at sealing their MHs. They do a good line in rotten floors at only a few years old.

To be fair to them, at your's age most will have some damp.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Just enjoy it and don't worry too much.
WD40, some gaffa tape and a hammer will sort most of any issues. Oh - and a tube of sealant !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Coming from a new van to an older RV, I have a few issues that need sorting, but then, the van is 16 years old. I went round it all over with a damp meter when we looked at it, dry as a bone everywhere. Went away in it in torrential rain and floods and noticed some damp registering on the passenger side at floor level. First thought was the window, nothing there, then looked inside the wheel arch and found a gap where water was being sprayed up into the insulated sidewall.
So, I have been drying it out with a dehumidifier and will seal it up when it seems dried out
But, I won't lose any sleep over it.....
At least it gives me something to play with before we go away again.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just enjoy it and don't worry too much.

Agreed! My intention was to use it all year round (I prefer the cold to the heat!) but after the leaking disaster I had through the crazy winter storms we had I want to ensure I can continue using and enjoying it for many years to come :D

Thanks for the tips everyone, the fridge works really well on all three power sources but I'll get it checked out as a just in case!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our van is coming up to 15 years old, have had it 5 years and had full service when we got it. Ever since I've done it myself as I now feel I know the van well enough. Had slight water leak around rear window that dealer removed to re-seal, still did not sort it and I later discovered it was coming in through high level brake light. Since then I've been a bit sceptical about dealer habitation checks and fell happier doing it myself.

Loads of great help available on here as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back