MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Morning Cowboy!

A fulltimer does not tarmac your drive!:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, OK

The post was intended to get replies like that...... but it also has a serious side ......

Picture the sceen.... Driving along a road looking for a nice layby to park up in for the night..... Ahhh, this looks good, but there are three or four caravans and transits there..... dont think so.

Ahhh, here's another one, but there are three or four campervans there..... Mmmm, shall I or shant I ? ..... Ooops, to late:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
A nice contentious post for first thing in the morning :ROFLMAO:

This ties in with my other thread 'Sort of fultiming'

So what is the difference between a fultimer and a 'Traveller' ?:Eeek:

The term "Traveller" was origanaly used a to discribe showmen (and women) who made thier living with travelling amusements or fairs, this dates well back in time and most big fairs where charter fairs. The word travellers has been hijacked by poeple who dont know the differance, they seem to refer it now to ittinerant hippy type people, Itinerants and gipseys, there not all the same and not all thiving ba****ds, but of course some are, the diffrance between fulltimer and traveller would depend on the opinion of the veiwer, are we all not travellers in time and space, would you not park up next to Dr Who......

by the way have you bought a Mh yet? you cant "travell" without one:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Anyone who does not know you could would and do see all "fulltimers" as gypsies, travellers, Itinerants, new age travellers, tax dodgers, homeless layabouts or whatever their current perception of people living an alternative lifestyle is. If the thought bothers you then fulltiming is not for you. when out and about we are all travellers, why do I travel its just the gypsy in my heart. Think not in derogatory terms of anyone, they all have alternative lifestyles. and in every group of people there are good and bad. The minute you pigeonhole people you are guilty of what you fear.
Live and let live.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
No, not in a million years. To many daleks and cybermen.

And no, no MH yet. I will but i'm not in a tearing hurry.

Im sure that can be classed as racisit, look out for PC Pc knocking at your door,

mudbaked hedgehog anyone:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes please seb. i havnt had that since a small child. my family used to live on the edge of edwinstow forest (before my time).my dad knew all the travelling gypsies. remember sitting by a campfire eating hedgehog. lovelly. just as a more recent thing i have just (last winter)had my drive tarmaced by one of the grandsons of one of the gypsies. they actually base them selves down the road from where i live.never knew all those years ago when as a child i lived in yorkshire i would end up living a few miles from those same gypsies. my father went to the last funeral fire the local gypsies had . i think the ones round here are great honest people. i also went to a school where the fairground kids came 3 times a year ,still keep in touch with them as well .there are theives and robbers in every walk of life. stop a night with some french /spanish gypsies they always make you welcome . there is afew travelling groups ,see them all over abroad never know when they will turn up next . never know if you get a flat tyre on a cold dark night ,one things for sure they always stop to help a fellow traveller.i always say if you arent travelling sell it n buy a static ,much cheaper. cheers alan.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
yes please seb. i havnt had that since a small child. my family used to live on the edge of edwinstow forest (before my time).my dad knew all the travelling gypsies. remember sitting by a campfire eating hedgehog. lovelly. just as a more recent thing i have just (last winter)had my drive tarmaced by one of the grandsons of one of the gypsies. they actually base them selves down the road from where i live.never knew all those years ago when as a child i lived in yorkshire i would end up living a few miles from those same gypsies. my father went to the last funeral fire the local gypsies had . i think the ones round here are great honest people. i also went to a school where the fairground kids came 3 times a year ,still keep in touch with them as well .there are theives and robbers in every walk of life. stop a night with some french /spanish gypsies they always make you welcome . there is afew travelling groups ,see them all over abroad never know when they will turn up next . never know if you get a flat tyre on a cold dark night ,one things for sure they always stop to help a fellow traveller.i always say if you arent travelling sell it n buy a static ,much cheaper. cheers alan.

You don’t know how happy you’ve made me, vindication at last!, were not all the same as people painted by third class comedians, I might be settled in a house now but the blood flowing through my veins is pure showman, my father passed driving test on a showman’s traction engine (I kid you not) my Grandfathers trod the lanes of many a county and my brothers sold wood door to door. I’ve had it easy being born late into the family, proper education, good healthcare etc, I must admit I’ve never eaten hedgehog I much prefer filet mignon and a nice cheatu neuf de pas

It was a coincidence when one of my daughters (who teaches primary science) was attending a "traveller" education meeting recently, there were more than a few "antis" saying travelling kids never amount to nought, she soon put the right on that matter.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Lived on a gypsy site for 6 months and travelled with the fair for over 2 years when i was younger.
It was a good way of life,and yes there are good and bad in every walk of life.
In those walks of life if an outsider trys to cause trouble(rightly or wrongley)they wll all stick together.
If i was robbed or conned by a gypsy i would still call them a Itinerant ba####d but to the pc brigade i would be racist?
Not rascist but do say it as i see it and in this day and age that is frowned upon.:Doh:
Dave

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi seb .and i was born at balby , behind the little church in the hospital. my grandad played piano in the gracehome pub (hope thats right).i lived in warmsworth.was up near there this summer seeing some old cchool friends. live near donny racecourse.my faters dream was to travel in a gypsy cart with two horses one to pull and one to rest walking behind. sadly he died this year maybe i,ll do it forhim. i would like to buy a donkey n cart n travel morocco. dressed in my djelaba, be able to go just about anywhere. i like being a traveller. i,m like a comelione for ever changeing.thats how to excist in this world.
cheers have fun ,alan.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Nice to see the trend of this thread.
I am the complete opposite - middle class white parents. Public School and ran own business. Member of local council, even Mayor.
The irony for me is that I spent a significant part of my political life trying to get councils nationally to make provision for travelling folk. Not a line that makes you popular with the public nor your own colleagues - there are no votes in it as a policy!
But here I am at 69, a fulltime traveller:whatthe: - there must have always been something of the Gypsy in me and never knew it!:Eeek:
Patrick

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i was a member of gracehome club from edlington .all my family from before war have been members what was dad called.
grandad herbert tatham .sewell .on comity there.
i have been left there 40 yrs

on the subject of travelers .i have stopped in lay bys with them and new age travelers never had problem .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dishague what was /is the big pub opposite the white church in balby. he played there aswell. he was a sales manager for cantors the furnishing perople. my imediate family left donny in 64 just after the big winter . seems so long ago but some things stick in your memory . my mum n dad worked on donny market and others ,may be i am a diddyky after all. cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my uncle worked for ,bailey and law .freddie jacksons,charlie grey racecourse motors. you name it he worked for them sold more cars than i,ve had hot dinners .he took the press down the a1m when it opened in a very fast jaguar. lots press cuttings. had something to do with hilltop motors in conisbourgh as well. . remember the castle and the big fairs there. lost the plot now. pass that hedgehog. my great grandfather was a proffesional poacher ,goodwith a catapult n could tickle fish. always had a ferret with him. cheers alan.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
An interesting thread mainly due to the lack of the normal hate posts. I have always

posted favourably towards such groups as for over 9 years I have travelled and worked

with my family around Europe. The link is a view of how

travelling children view things. It is from the childrens society and is titled

" THIS IS WHO WE ARE "

Link Removed

The first line of my daughters website has always been " WHO AM I ? "
Link Removed

We don't worry about being labelled. Who cares ?

OH and just a reminder, Motorhomes are the new caravans !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
good reading thanks for putting it on the thread .some of it does apply to everyone who tries to live their dream . its ok while you keep moving its when you stop the trouble starts. we are a very prejudice country that seems to have forgotten where we used to travel to different places in the uk for work even long ago. i now live in cornwall but a few generations ago cornish people moved away as the tinmines shut,some to canada some australia some to durham then to yorkshire. strange my father brought our family home to cornwall. also lived in dorset for a while.maybe it made me who i am.having also travelled abroad most of my life as well had a very full n enjoyable life. but i do see the discrimination given to travellers of all types. its as you travel you see things you didnt know excisted or can believe happens. beware if thinking of becoming a traveller of no fixed abode ,life isnt always sweet. cheers lan.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Thanks for the link, Billym.
It has taken me most of the evening to read it but found it really interesting.
The thing that struck me was about schooling. Having been involved with the politics of education for many years, even Chair of Education in my local authority at one time, I still think we are going the wrong way about this.
Surely we would do better to provide support for travelling folk to provide home education for their children. Gets away from all the bullying and inappropriate/irrelevant aspects and allows the process to take place within the culture. Our present approach is a bit like us trying to convert African tribes to Chritianity. We know better and you should aspire to be like us:Angry:
Home Education is, statistically, more effective than school based education. And it can travel with the folk concerned. Simples (to me, anyway):Cool:
Thanks again for educating me a bit tonight.
Patrick

searcher

Free Member
Nov 2, 2017
Funster No
Also left area many moons ago went in tow graceholme for years can anybody help me find out last landlady and landlords who ran the club my family was often tooling up bars yet through age memory not too clever

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
trying not to put a dampener on things , but my experience says you cant lump all "travelers " together as there seems to be quite a difference between the groups , in their ethics. Yes there are good and bad among all humans its just that some groups seem to have a predilection in one direction .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Always fascinates me when old threads 2009 crop back up but question still relevant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back