Emptying Water Tanks (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
So after a weekend away I parked up the van today but before parking up I went to the dumping area.

So I dumped the remains of the fresh water tank, emptied the water heater tank and dumped the grey tank.

I have left the drain plug out of the fresh water tank but replaced and tightened down the top inspection lid.

The drain tap to the heater tank is also left open, as is the drain tap to the grey tank.

My thinking is that this allows some air to circulate in the tanks and this may be advantageous, but I'm thinking about rodent incursions through the open drain holes. They couldn't go far from the fresh water tank but the grey water tank must have pipes that lead to the shower and sink plug holes.

Am I over thinking this?

How do others leave their tanks?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i have always drained thoroughly then closed valves etc but vented by leaving sink taps turned on with pump switched off

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi I Leave all mine open after emptying then close including taps when filling,rodents don't swim very well:LOL:(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have read on here that a mouse did get in a tank and caused a terrible stink as it died. I hate the pesky things so shut all stops valves and holes!!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Empty waste tank and close valve, dont want and dribbles do we!, I dont drain the fresh water tank or water heater unless its going below freezing for a couple of days, I did check the date and its not an old pre winter thread so are there people who drain everything down even though they are going to need it again soon, I dont understand why you would vent the tank through the taps or anywhere for that matter.

Martin

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Get him!

Burn the grey waste dribbler!:)

get-barnhart.jpg

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Empty waste tank and close valve, dont want and dribbles do we!, I dont drain the fresh water tank or water heater unless its going below freezing for a couple of days, I did check the date and its not an old pre winter thread so are there people who drain everything down even though they are going to need it again soon, I dont understand why you would vent the tank through the taps or anywhere for that matter.

Martin
although it should not make any difference and all piped fresh water is supposed to be potable, the taste and quality of water varies from place to place. some is so highly flourinated that nothing could survive in it. however some supposed fresh water tastes foul and i dont want it tainting the tank and pipework. for the same reasons we use a 2 gallon insulated container to get fresh drinking water each day

if you think fresh water doesnt go stale, why do hospitals change all bedside jugs at a minimum of daily. also if you have dogs, they can taste the difference between fresh water and a bowl that has sat there 24 hours

also some water supply companies have problems with bugs like ecoli and strep c in their supplies amongst other nasty bugs harmful to your health

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Granted if it tastes foul I would be tempted to get rid of it as well, water in a clear jug and in sunlight will certainly go green after a while as will a clear/opaque container outside a caravan but I believe in a black tank and in the dark in a MH floor it will last well.

Everyone to their own of course.

Martin

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Martin

I'm the same Martin, I drain the waste tank and that's it, I only ever boil the water anyway, never drink it straight from the tap

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We keep our fresh full, and grey empty, and at the end of the year I dump and clean them both. When we depart a site, I dump the grey and fill the fresh. That way we are always ready to go at a moments notice.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
A moosie getting into the tank has been mentioned but if the drain bung was left out and the vehicle is parked for a week or more perhaps a slug or a snail could slither in! :eek:

KH

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We keep ours full most of the time, it's topped up regularly and we use the onboard water for everything although I prefer my cold drinking water with a few hops and a bit of malt in it!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Two winters ago I had mice in my grey water drains, they damaged 3 of the 4 draining pipes within the motor home, nightmare to fix

Close all drains, I had left the grey drain open, l don't do that anymore !

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Two winters ago I had mice in my grey water drains, they damaged 3 of the 4 draining pipes within the motor home, nightmare to fix

I never thought of that. I always left the fresh water tank bung in but the grey waste tap open. Not any more though... :eek:

KH

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I drain our fresh water and grey waste before we leave a site and if heading homeward I leave the bungs and taps open (grey waste closed because at the first chance we buy 3 cheap 2 ltr Cokes and pour down the drain to give the grey waste tank a good swill)

Always blow down taps and shower hose and wipe out Fresh Tank after arriving home.

Reason I drain?- - - - weight!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Always drain down fresh tank if van is not being used for more than a couple of days
Bio films can grow in the plastic piping
Its unlikely to you much harm but can taint the taste of water and difficult to get rid off

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never drain the fresh water tank. Always drink from it and still here.

Empty the grey tank before taking it back to storage but don't leave anything open.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If laid up for a longish period, (unusual for us), we drain the fresh water tank. Also in winter to prevent freezing.

Outside winter we don't drain fresh water for short periods off road but always drain waste.

Upvote 0

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Waste water empty, fresh water full, weight makes very little difference to fuel economy, driving style and speed does.

Shut the waste water after emptying, never dribble

I'm with Jon, burn the dribblers

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Wow , just wow

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always drain our tanks after each trip - we drink the water from the fresh tank and use it to wash, brush teeth, prepare food etc so I wouldn't want to do that in stale water. The fresh water valve is always closed but we usually leave the waste water one open ... I'd like to see a mouse or another of mammal be able to 'reach' it ... but the thought of snails and slugs or SPIDERS getting in .... argh!!!! :eek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back