UK credit cards (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi guys worrying developments here in SW Brittany UK credit cards are being refused in shops, supermarkets and fuel stations. Rally stewards have just notified C & CC headquarters. Just used my Caxton fx card with no problem so it just seems to be credit and debit cards. So for anyone coming over to France be aware, not sure how widespread this is.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Lets hope it it is just some local problem. Might it be worth posting this in the Motorhome Chat section as I think a lot more Funsters read that?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi guys worrying developments here in SW Brittany UK credit cards are being refused in shops, supermarkets and fuel stations. Rally stewards have just notified C & CC headquarters. Just used my Caxton fx card with no problem so it just seems to be credit and debit cards. So for anyone coming over to France be aware, not sure how widespread this is.

Refused by people or A.T.M.'s & card machines ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow is that just a knee jerk response by locals or a French government thing?:france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Assuming this was recognised yesterday (Sunday) I've experienced this many times in France and is usually the inability to get authorisation

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Assuming this was recognised yesterday (Sunday) I've experienced this many times in France and is usually the inability to get authorisation
Have had the same problem with all types of cards in France on Sundays especially at the automated tills, we now never rely on fueling the van on Sundays.
Cheers
Ed

Deleted User
I am sure the supermarkets would just love to have to re stack a huge pile of my shopping when my card was refused and it would be fun to see them try and try and syphon 100 litres of diesel from my fuel tank:)

With a large queue of irate shoppers behind me.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Just used mine at automatic fuel pump, no problem. Can't understand the issue, a euro is a euro, the rate would only effect the card user?
Left a site this morning, owner concerned as he had 4 cancellations over the weekend from UK.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just used mine at automatic fuel pump, no problem. Can't understand the issue, a euro is a euro, the rate would only effect the card user?
Left a site this morning, owner concerned as he had 4 cancellations over the weekend from UK.
What reason did they give?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:doh:We had that prob last year, on a Sunday, we'd had a meal and went to pay, it was refused:crying:

The owner however, knew we were staying in a cottage just up the road in the village, "Come back tomorrow and pay !" :hi5:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hope its just a Sunday glitch but will check with my brother who lives there.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Have been chatting with 4 ralliers who have had cards refused this morning Lloyds cards both debit and credit at Super U both groceries and fuel, Saga credit card at Super U both fuel and shop. The owner of Lloyds cards phoned them to be told Lloyds had been inundated with calls from customers here in France having cards refused. The same card was accepted in Lidl.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If i was going to France today i would take plenty of euro,s .There is a case for some to refuse cards on the fluctuation of the pound.I may cost some companies with a big turnover a lot of money ,although they are also in a position to make money .I think the ordinary shop keeper will feel safer with cash in the hand .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We're on the ferry on thursday night so this could be interesting.
We were concerned about the strikes/lack of fuel but now this!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There was a report that it was happening in Greece as well.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Used my Halifax Clarity credit card with no problem today, neighbour had no problems with his Santander one so it seems to be selective?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
part of the problem might be the issuers of the cards .
there was problems in spain a few years ago with mastercard ,yet they would take visa cards .

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We used our Halifax card today for fuel and LPG & groceries at E.Leclerc and groceries at Lidl - no problem (y)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
If i was going to France today i would take plenty of euro,s .There is a case for some to refuse cards on the fluctuation of the pound.I may cost some companies with a big turnover a lot of money ,although they are also in a position to make money .I think the ordinary shop keeper will feel safer with cash in the hand .

How does that affect anything?
They get paid in Euros... it's me that takes the hit if the pound fluctuates the wrong way.

Mike

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only reason I can think of that this may be an issue is if individual banks decide not to accept non UK transactions due to the currency volatility.

for example if you were to spend €10 on your card today, Visa will put a hold on that amount on your card account, but it isn't actually processed till a while later. This can vary from minutes, to hours, to days in some rare cases. All transactions are in two stages AUTH then CAPTURE. If there is a gap between these two then I can see situations where the settlement may net a lower value based on the currency rates varying. I did think that this system was fixed a number of years ago though, may some banks are behind the times when it comes to settlements?

In 2009 I moved from Lloyds Cardnet as my merchant account to Paypal. Cardnet took 3 days to settle payments made on cards, paypal took 5-10 seconds. I didn't know if I had the money until the final CAPTURE was processed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The only reason I can think of that this may be an issue is if individual banks decide not to accept non UK transactions due to the currency volatility.

for example if you were to spend €10 on your card today, Visa will put a hold on that amount on your card account, but it isn't actually processed till a while later. This can vary from minutes, to hours, to days in some rare cases. All transactions are in two stages AUTH then CAPTURE. If there is a gap between these two then I can see situations where the settlement may net a lower value based on the currency rates varying. I did think that this system was fixed a number of years ago though, may some banks are behind the times when it comes to settlements?

In 2009 I moved from Lloyds Cardnet as my merchant account to Paypal. Cardnet took 3 days to settle payments made on cards, paypal took 5-10 seconds. I didn't know if I had the money until the final CAPTURE was processed.
yes spot on there was a difference between master card and visa a few years ago . i only know those two as that was what i carried . master card was a real nuisance in spain a few years ago. but not every where .
these days in many out of the way places in spain the banks dont want to exchange uk pound s for euro,s . in tourist areas all well and good .
now its like we are the only ones that their clearing banks are needed for so they dont want the hassle .

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I hope it's just a glitch as we are travelling over at the weekend

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I guess that the title should read GBP credit cards.

10 years ago there was a prob due to French and British software being on different versions but AFAIK it had all been sorted.

My friends have some sort of top-uppable card which is then used at an ATM to withdraw real money - but I have no idea of the details.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Happy to report all cards seem to be accepted this morning including those declined yesterday.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back