Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Any clever bike types here???:thumb:

This is the bicycle bike, most of the time the faster/more load applied to the peddles produces a rythmic CLONK (caps 'cos it's loud!) that sounds kinda like some loon following me a belting the frame with a lump hammer.

It sounds most like it's coming from the rear gear assembly, 7 speed/gears and I can feel it through the frame but nothings touching/fouling anywhere. Bikes only a couple of years old, any thoughts?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it sounds like the gudgeon pin is loose or worn (holds pedals in position) take off the pedal arms examine grease and replace.:thumb: of course I could be wrong :ROFLMAO:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
First point of call is the pedal crank bearings, rock pedals to test, there should be no play, even if there is no play it could be the early signs of bearing failure, play will eventually become evident, cant think of anything else that would cause a heavy CLONK as you describe
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Or the Chain is slipping on the gears if this happens during change and keeps trying to go to nex gear:thumb:

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Terry,

Gudgeon pin?....Cotter pin, it's the other type (can't remember what it's called) but no can't be that, mad push biker in my youth and remember the cotter pin shenanegans well, one bike just ate 'em, never did figure out why...

Geo,

Crank bearings, doesn't sound as though that's where the problem is though I must admit that was my first choice. No decernable movment as yet, might have to bite the bullet and strip the bugger and see. It's only a cheapy but I don't really want to replace at the mo, still seeing exactly how much use it's going to get as to how much to spend next time, that and have you seen modern bikes, hydralic disk brakes, 27 gears, adjustable suspension, toys toys toys:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Cheers for the replies guys, any more?

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Or the Chain is slipping on the gears if this happens during change and keeps trying to go to nex gear:thumb:

Good idea but no chance, anal here has the gears set perfect, no slip and bang on adjustment.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi Dodgey. I have the same problem with the Mountain Bike I bought from Walmarts 4 years ago. It has almost always done it. I believe it is the Crank Bearings. When I run Oil into the Crank it quietens down for a period before the sound returns. :RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Gudgeon pin?....Cotter pin :ROFLMAO: OK I will settle for cotter pin :thumb:
either way it looks like you are going to have to strip it down :ROFLMAO: like it or not :Doh:
terry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If it is more or less every revolution of the peddle,, most probably what used to be the cotter pin,,, but on modern bikes you have an allen key on the end of the shaft (Pedal crank arm),, these are splined or square,, might need nipping up,, if it is the spline type whip it off as if it has been doing it for any length of time a splines might be worn on crank arm,,

Modern bikes the cranks are alluminium and the shaft is steel,, hence the splines being/getting worn.

The other alternative, on your gear wheel/cluster,,, if it happens in a particular gear,, it may have a crack on the thread on one particular gear wheel... 5/6/7 gears are made up of individual gears/teeth and they in turn are threaded onto a rachet body,, so you can remove sets of gear teeth and put what ever combination of gearing on that suits you,,
If I remember correctly the threads are the oposite of the norm,, so as you do not unscrew when peddling.. bear this in mind if it is this and when replacing gear,,

Think they are that cheap if it is this probably not worth the bother and just buy a new complete set..

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Remove the pedal crank and check the spindle you possibly have a cracked spindle..if not pack it with grease that should cure it

Frank772

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
none
May be worth looking to see if the L/h crank is bent (by dropping the bike) and
hitting the chain stay.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
seems a harsh way to check that, Frank ::bigsmile: welcome

I would have said bottom bracket bearings, or what is now in place of the gudgeons, usually a square shaft that now has worn cranks on..

as said above a few times :RollEyes:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
It could be a damaged or kinked link on the chain, or a damaged tooth on the crank?

John

Frank772

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
none
seems a harsh way to check that, Frank ::bigsmile: welcome

I would have said bottom bracket bearings, or what is now in place of the gudgeons, usually a square shaft that now has worn cranks on..

as said above a few times :RollEyes:

Sorry I should have written caused by dropping the bike
:Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry I should have written caused by dropping the bike
:Blush:
Welcome to the FUN site Frank, it made me smile, written like a seasoned Funster :thumb:
Geo

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
bottom bracket

just a educated guess is that the bottom bracket wants removeing & a sealed bottom brkt put in its place. you will have to remove the cranks & one of the bottom brkt cups has a left hand thread/:Doh:

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
chuck it in a skip and buy a TOAD !!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Daft bugger:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The gold stars are looking like going to the crank bearing camp. Stripped down and piece of randon plactic in there, nothing to do with anything, next to no grease, rough bearings and some wierd 'lumps' on one of the bearing cups...

New bearings, a quicky with the die grinder/oiled wet and dry and new grease and hopefully smooooth piece and quiet again.

Cheers all!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
First point of call is the pedal crank bearings, rock pedals to test, there should be no play, even if there is no play it could be the early signs of bearing failure, play will eventually become evident, cant think of anything else that would cause a heavy CLONK as you describe
Geo
Told Ya:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back